Silver Samurai WIP from The Wolverine (2013) - EVA FOAM

Wearenotlinear

It's been a long while since I've posted on here but here's what I've been up to.

Building this guy:

aQW0mT.jpgc9fSkQ.jpgdvxIcs.pngeEphPz.jpgY3NgR9.jpg

Been working on it for about 3 months now and I've got the helmet, chest and arms mostly done.

It'll come out to about 7 feet tall, the hands are mechanical with pull strings since my actual hands sit inside the forearms:

doIthO.jpgwbgopz.jpg

Here's the helmet and arms with paint on em:

U1i6v9.jpgRMbPkg.jpgmA3uBv.jpghYyvYd.jpgyYxwE4.jpg

Arms with Primer before metallic paint:
KNLO0P.jpg

And here's the upper body without paint:

wW0jsz.jpg

and here's the back with some lighting tests woven through the spine (EL wire is the best)

QNL3RV.jpg

It's all made from EVA foam, except the "skeleton" of the hands... that's wood and plastic and rubber bands and guitar strings for the pull strings :D

Paint is all Rust-oleum Chrome Metallic Bright Finish with an undercoat of Rust-oleum Filler primer on top of a few layers of PVA glue. Then sanded with 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 grit before applying the chrome.

All patterns are custom made, drawn out on paper using reference photos and a mix of best-guess and math technique on proportions.

Feel free to comment and make suggestions. I haven't seen many people make this build so hopefully it turns out epic! that's the goal at least :D :D

I'll post more as I get through the build. I should have it all done by the end of the year and planning on premiering it at Wondercon in March.

Looking great so far! I thought about doing the same project a couple of years ago but ended up going a different way. I'm glad somebody is taking it on. The movie might not have been great but I think the suit could be epic ;) I'm also interested in your approach because it's similar to what I'm doing for a Thanos build right now. I couldn't find any models for his Infinity War armor so I'm having to mostly do it freehand. I'll be watching your thread with interest!

Hmmm, this might be an issue!:confused

Just means I may come in closer to 8 ft tall than 7 when all is said and done :) :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks really cool! I'm excited to see it completed.

Thanks! Been trying to figure out how to make my glowing sword without using expensive plastazote. Any suggestions would be awesome! Here's a test with corrugated plastic:
20180902_163514.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That costume looks so good, I can't wait to see the final output.

Aww thanks! :D

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back