The Model Part/Parts Box Trading Thread

CB2001

Master Member
A couple of years ago, I posted in the suggestion area an idea for a thread that could be used by both the General Modeling and Studio Scale Modeling thread. This idea was simple: when users have purchased a lot of kits to use for kitbashing models or Studio Scale models, when you pick up enough, you'll more than likely have a really sizeable parts box. And it got me thinking, "What if one user is looking for a certain part for their model to complete it?" or "What if there's a particular part that one user needs that another may have in their parts box?" And what came to be was this thread. It took two years for me to finally come around to post it, as I was waiting to hear what the admins/staff of the RPF felt about the idea before doing so. Since, they never replied, I assumed it was a bad idea, until I was recently looking through past threads of mine and found it. So, I figured I'd post it here under the General Modeling section, as a lot of members jump in between the two. If this violates the rules, then the admins are welcome to remove it.

How the post works. Simple, really:

1. Give the model's name, the line it's from, what type of item the model is of, year and the manufacturer (for example, if it's an Enterprise NCC-1701-A Starship from Star Trek: V - The Final Frontier produced by AMT/ERTL from 1989). If it's from a garage kit, then specify the garage kit, when it was manufactured or when you purchased it (typically, they include the year on the packaging, if not, just specify when you purchased it) and the name of the kit.

2. Specify what part you're looking for (describe the part as best as you can. Let's say if it was a model kit of the Polar Lights Back To The Future DeLorean and you were needing the BTTF Part 1 Plutonium Chamber housing {the part where Doc and Marty are seen placing Plutonium into the chamber before the Liybans show up}. If you happen to have the build instructions, you could list off the part number, but it'd be easier to describe what part it is and where it's suppose to go on the model).

3. If someone happens to have it, PM the user looking for the part and discuss a trade with something they may have in their parts box that you might need/want.

It's that simple. And, it's not just limited to parts, but small amount of parts boxes or full parts boxes themselves. If you happen to be someone who is tired of looking at the same parts and want to trade, you can post what parts you are looking to get rid of and also post parts you're looking for. This can also include "junk yard models", basically model kits you have that are broken but something can still be done with them as well (like let's say you have a Millenium Falcon you're wanting to get rid of because it's missing the entire back engine piece, or that you didn't use the right shade of grey and had took other parts off of it for other models).

I hope everyone finds this thread useful. And, again, if the admins feel that it's against the rules, they're more than welcome to remove it, or maybe move it somewhere else they feel can do much more good. Enjoy!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back