Personal pics of OT studio shooting models

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys-- so while I am mostly a lightsaber guy, I do love me all OT models and props.

I am currently working on a show, and my EP/director is a guy pretty well known for collecting props and costumes from movies (horror mostly). But he does happen to have a few OT ship models. I have been to his house a dozen times and just assumed they were repros, but apparently they are actual ILM studio models shot and used int he film.

I don't know the pedigree or details like I would say looking at a lightsaber prop, but he has an X-Wing and Y-Wing...

XY.jpg

And sitting on a shelf he has a Falcon. I looked it over, and I'm pretty sure this is the same 2 ft model seen in the Archives book that was made for ESB. Again, I'm not an expert so I couldn't say for sure... but to think this dude just has it sitting in his house and I got to touch it is pretty cool.

mf1.jpgMF2.jpg

I wanted to take more, but I didn't want to be a rude house guest.

I'm no expert either, but I know enough to say these aren't originals. Beside the non-original parts like the cockpits and pilots, people here have been keeping track of what have become of pretty much every model. There is only a couple of surviving ywing and their location is known and the original millenium falcon models are still owned by lucasfilm

I have to agree. The black marking on top of the Falcon cockpit is unique to the 5 footer, it isn't on the 2 footer. Also the cockpit interiors were not that detailed. Nice models though. Did the guy claim they are originals?

Thanks! I've challenged the provenance of many a lightsaber so I appreciate knowledge! He said the were from ILM and refurbed. He thought they were originals, but wasn't fully sure. I can say looking up close they are definitely not off-the-shelf, and the greeblies are legit, but that doesn't mean they were the prinary shooting models.

Thanks! I've challenged the provenance of many a lightsaber so I appreciate knowledge! He said the were from ILM and refurbed. He thought they were originals, but wasn't fully sure. I can say looking up close they are definitely not off-the-shelf, and the greeblies are legit, but that doesn't mean they were the primary shooting models.

Take it from an ILM 10-year alum, there are a lot of model makers out there from Kerner that pulled a Johnny Cash: one piece at a time. [emoji23]

Over the time the model shop was around, many talented people had access to original molds, original kit bashed parts and the parts maps to make their own ships. So they certainly may have been made from original parts and out of the original molds they had access to. And made by an ILM model maker; all of which are amazing pedigrees in their own right! And yes, some parts were certainly fabricated by hand.

But these looks great!!

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Last edited:
I agree that to my amateur eye, some of the details make me highly doubt these are screen used--at least not as we see them. And there's the whole thing about people tracking the actual filming models. (Hey, my good friend has one of the original 2 "Mona Lisa's" hanging on his wall.) But to the knowledgeable people in the room, I'm wondering about the piping on top of the MF saucer, near the cockpit. It looks very thick. Is that how any of the studio models looked? Not as a criticism of the kit, just for my own knowledge.
Thanks,
Mike Todd

The falcon looks like a modified and repainted Master Replicas to me. The armor plating overhangs differently than the Deagostini. The mandible connection also looks solid 1 piece like the MR.

As far as the other 2 I'm not too sure of the pedigree, but they don't look like ILM paint jobs to me. The cockpit frame of the x-wing is too wide. Reminds me of the Icons, but not too familiar with it. One thing for sure is that the ILM models never had detailed interiors as much as these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep....as kokkari said, the Falcon looks like the Master Replicas,....the Y could be too,....but they've both been repainted

J

The X-wing isn’t an Icons.
Could be a repainted EFX. In any case, I doubt that it’s an original ship...

I think the Falcon is a modified DeAgostini. It's got traits all over it that are the same as my DeAgo... pipes connecting to nowhere, etc. But, I've never examined a MR Falcon.

The cockpit area and figures look like the upgrade kit from 3D Falcon Parts (which I have.. excellent), the side walls have been pushed back, and the quad guns and gunner station interior look upgraded.

Agreed, looks like an EFX - none of the 1/24 originals had a pilot or cockpit like that, etc.

still not sure if it’s an EFX...the cockpit lacks the hinges. Whatever it is, it is NOT an Icons, and most likely not an original ship.

Yeah, there's nothing about it that says it's ILM OT. It even looks like the wing cannon is rotated 90 degrees to what it should be.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back