Postage stamp perforations?

RvanAken

Hello all,

I'm thinking of making some sheets of postage stamps and am wondering how to do the perforations. I've found a small tutorial on YouTube from Kula Maku using a small tube and a sewing machine which I'll give a try but am wondering if there maybe some other methodes I could try.

I seem to be unable to find other ways instead of using big machines, any idea what I can do?

Any help is appriciated.

Ruben

Hello all,

I'm thinking of making some sheets of postage stamps and am wondering how to do the perforations. I've found a small tutorial on YouTube from Kula Maku using a small tube and a sewing machine which I'll give a try but am wondering if there maybe some other methodes I could try.

I seem to be unable to find other ways instead of using big machines, any idea what I can do?

Any help is appriciated.

Ruben

They make a roller tool you can buy at craft stores. You just draw a straight line and carefully roll the tool along the line.
55030A07-740D-4377-81A3-F26EC28DBCE6.jpeg

But does a tracing wheel punch out the holes like in real stamps, or does it simply pierce the paper? Still going to try it, was the other way I was going to try. Lost my tracing wheel from my sewing kit, yes I'm a bro who sews, and am planning to buy one tomorrow as I'm also starting a new costume.

But is there another way to easly punch the holes instead of piercing the paper?

Ruben

Unless you are willing to drop some serious cash on a proper set up you can go cheap with using a sewing machine with a brass tube punch.
link

You can also mail out your unperfed sheets to The Olathe Poste, who will use their vintage perfing machine to perf yours & mail em back (for a fee). I've done it once or twice.

http://www.theolatheposte.com/

Shhh, big secret ; )

-MJ
Thats a good tip. If I'm unsuccesfull I might give them a try.

Bought a new transfer weel today and a brass rod, hope to be able to try them this evening.

Ruben

Did a quick test using the transfer wheel. I printed a quick sheet of discworld 50p cabbage field stamps on 80gr paper using an inktjet printer. The design isn't mine but are an official discworld stamp from 2016 which I'm only using as a test. I'll have my final designs printed at the printshop using a laserprinter for better results.

Ruben
031b818e7465f4063f1c0bc557b2bd62.jpg
894c11d622251c5defdbffc910a47876.jpg
661eff6635f2634e046bfc7e991ac4fa.jpg
42e95dcd5272365a11c4866ae1d11b1c.jpg

I have had great success with the brass tube.

In Illustrator I formatted my stamps out (spacing, etc) and made a very light row of dots where the holes should be. I don't have a sewing machine, so it was one hole at a time but I was VERY happy with the results.

What I've got to tackle is getting some rubber stamps made...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 226
You did al the holes by hand? I wil give that a try also thanks. How long does your brass tube last, its very thin. What kind of hamer do you use, a small rubber one?

Ruben

You did al the holes by hand? I wil give that a try also thanks. How long does your brass tube last, its very thin. What kind of hamer do you use, a small rubber one?

Ruben

I used this tiny bottle opener/hammer thing haha and just lined it up, did one little bop and punched each hole out...one at a time...by hand.

The tube lasts though and you will need to clear out all the little punched dots that clog the tube. You will also want to sand the end slightly and make a sharper angled point for punching.

Again, it's the best result I've gotten for cheap. The transfer wheel is kind of a "dash" shape rather than a "dot" and any sort of pro stuff gets pricey.

Ian

Unless you are willing to drop some serious cash on a proper set up you can go cheap with using a sewing machine with a brass tube punch.
link

This is a bit of work, but this lady used a sewing machine and a modified attachment from brass tube to replicate vintage perforations. If you had a lot of stamps to perf, it's go pretty quick.

http://inspiredbarn.com/2009/12/postage-stamp-perforations/
Yep.... same info and same link that was provided yesterday,

As part of a pulp RPG campaign I ran several years ago, I created period handouts, specific for each player. The setting was rural England, around 1932. In the process, I created several letters, with envelopes and stamps.

The stamps (and just about every other graphical element) I made through Photoshop and a simple all-in-one inkjet printer. For the stamp edges, I also used a transfer wheel. But mine is an old one, previously owned and used by my mother, back when she made a lot of our clothes when I was a kid.

At first glance, the results were more convincing than those with the new wheel. Probably because of its construction; the wheel is made of thicker metal, and it has a wooden handle. I think it was made somewhere in the early seventies.

So maybe getting yourself a vintage wheel might also be an option?

DeLaRosa01.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had a lasercutter, that would make life a lot easier dor so many projects.

Did a quick and dirty test yesterday using the brass rod by hand and it works but takes forever :). Next stap the sewing machine methode
ed2bff773edbd150da5aecc79a570d1f.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back