SS Tie Bomber question

scotthothpatrol

Hi I am am interested at some point in building the tie bomber. at the moment I am gathering materials. I have two questions first is for those of you who build it how did you go about cutting the rectangles and the the center in the elliptical dome vhe-200? I am sure that some of you will say you 3d printed it but I don't have one of those. If some one has a spare they can part with that would be even better. The other question is what kit piece goes in the rectangle cutouts or is it a plastruct piece. It seems I saw that that piece/ pieces had some sort of ribbing to it.
thanks
Scott

Attachments

• tiebomberkg_tie-bomberdetail-041.jpg
    tiebomberkg_tie-bomberdetail-041.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 388
Check this link out http://www.x2creativos.com/pdf/tie_bomber.pdf here you will find all you need regarding the tie-bomber donor kits.
The correct Yamato part will only be found in the vintage kit(bottom/belly of the tie bomber fuselage),.the new tool kit part is different,..this also goes for the Shinano i think.
Also the saturn V kit has to be a vintage one,..the newer kit does not have the bulges on the ribbed rings.
Be carefull to cut the cones of the saturn V for the tie-bomber engines,you only get 2 of them per kit(maybe only 1 i'm not too sure anymore) but i do remember i cut them too short:facepalm
Also take good notice of the railway wheel bearings located on the inside of the bomber's wings,.they are from the Leopold railway gun,. you'll find that there are 2 kind of bearings,.they look similar but are not the same,..the difference is subttle.

Last edited:
As I remember people talking about those rectangular pieces, I’m pretty sure the donor is The Prince of Wales ship. I think only one per kit maybe. You should have that kit because it donates another part.

People also brought up plastruct, but I’m not sure about that source.

If I were to do it, I might look for N gauge corrugated siding. It might come out to be close in appearance.

Yes, the Prince of Wales provides those little rectangle parts. There's 2 per kit, so 4 needed if doing all kit parts & no casts. I'm pretty sure I just scribed some styrene matched to the parts & cut the 8 needed, I couldn't tell the difference tbh!.

I cut my octagonal shape from a template & sanded correctly. One thing I would recommend is don't use the 'clear' hemispheres as it's very hard going to cut & the clarity is off putting. Use the grey hemispheres & make sure you state this when ordering.

Stu

Thanks Scott I ordered a Prince of Wales tree from Tamiya if the part is not on there i will use a Evergreen or Plaststruct piece

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Stu I will get the grey ones

Yeah on mine I used the PoW parts, I made a mold and cast the other 6 parts instead of buy 4 PoWs. I agree with Stu, get the grey hemispheres. As far as cutting the rectangles I just used a small hand held saw, like an x-acto saw and then filed them into perfection. Similarly for the center I drilled out most of the material and than followed that with small files.

Yeah on mine I used the PoW parts, I made a mold and cast the other 6 parts instead of buy 4 PoWs. I agree with Stu, get the grey hemispheres. As far as cutting the rectangles I just used a small hand held saw, like an x-acto saw and then filed them into perfection. Similarly for the center I drilled out most of the material and than followed that with small files.

I plan on doing lots of casting parts on this build

When I built mine I made a mold of a few key parts that could save you some money. The part from the 1:700 HMS Rodney, the 1:700 Yamato and the fenders from the Lee tank. I’d be happy to send it to you.... I won’t be needing it. I would just ask that you pass it on to anyone else building a 1:48 scale TIE Bomber.

When I built mine I made a mold of a few key parts that could save you some money. The part from the 1:700 HMS Rodney, the 1:700 Yamato and the fenders from the Lee tank. I’d be happy to send it to you.... I won’t be needing it. I would just ask that you pass it on to anyone else building a 1:48 scale TIE Bomber.

Thanks for the offer. I actually have have most of the kits or they are on the way. The only things missing are the Stuka and the Shinano kit # 77024

Does any one know what these two parts are above and below the horizontal rod on the out side of the tie bomber wings. Also what size rod to use? Thanks

Attachments

• tiebomber wing detail.jpg
    tiebomber wing detail.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 140
The one on top is from the ERTL/ESCI 1/35 SDKfz 10/4, the bottom one is a ship's gun but I forget which one. I'll check my notes.

Thanks to swgeekI for pointing me in the right direction think I found the part for the lower piece. Thanks to the Kit Scans thread I was able to get this close up of these parts from the Tamiya 1/700 Nelson

Attachments

• Nelson_004.jpg
    Nelson_004.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 165
  • tiebomber wing detail.jpg
    tiebomber wing detail.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 149
Yep, that looks right to me. Sorry I couldn't find the answer in my notes, I know I have it somewhere. glad you figured it out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back