Jurassic Park Cryocan - New Detail Found?

My two cents. It appears to me that the recesses are cut a bit deeper than this. It looks like you have them terminating at about the half way point here. In the Screencaps to me it looks like they run a good 3/4 the way up the cone... My eyes could be completely off, but that's what I'm seeing...

Amazing catch by the way... all these years and no one has noticed this until now? Excellent eye, there.

Last edited:
Mike J, nice caps! Can you post 4K caps of the two shots noted by Robby above that show a glimpse of the (likely) concave bottom? Thanks.

And every one of those shots shows the ends of the "elbow". Even on the ones from below the disc, you can see it through the holes.

Last edited:
Wow. It's amazing how after all this time we're suddenly seeing something new. I wonder if a bunch of old style replicas will flood the market now that they've been made outdated.

I have no intention of selling my Rylo can and don't think there is anything outdated about it. If I get the new one I'll be very happy to have both of them.

Ditto and as has been noted they ARE Screen-Accurate as well as having been displayed in the parks as well :thumbsup

I have no intention of selling my Rylo can and don't think there is anything outdated about it. If I get the new one I'll be very happy to have both of them.

Mike J, can you try to grab a frame or two where Dodgson holds it up before opening, and we can see the bottom? I can't tell on my copy whether there are one or two lines of type down there. Or if anyone has a vintage can it would be good to see what info they printed on the bottom of those.

Yup.

Here are some more close-ups.

Extremely difficult to make out what's on the bottom of the can, but here are some 'enhanced' caps:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 203
It is really hard to tell but in the 2 where he is unscrewing the bottom it almost looks flat while the other 2 a curved.

I'm late to the party, but great find about the conical part! I guess nobody really noticed that... Looking forward for correct machined racks ;-).

Nice to see that a iconic prop from a movie from the '90s still has secrets to be revealed ;-). First the top shape of the barbasol can that turned out to be not correct on most replica's, now this new find for the rack...

I've always believed the screen used props have the concave bottom. You certainly never see it with a big screw in the middle!
Nicksdad made a cryo can with a concave bottom, though not as deeply concave as a real can, or what we are seeing in the screen caps.

As for the new detail, I can't believe that has never been noticed!!!
I'd be happy paying someone to make just that one part to replace the existing on my Rylo can... No need to replace the whole can (and the Barbasol's are getting hard to find now anyway), just need to update the part that holds the vials... :)

I've always believed the screen used props have the concave bottom. You certainly never see it with a big screw in the middle!
Nicksdad made a cryo can with a concave bottom, though not as deeply concave as a real can, or what we are seeing in the screen caps.

As for the new detail, I can't believe that has never been noticed!!!
I'd be happy paying someone to make just that one part to replace the existing on my Rylo can... No need to replace the whole can (and the Barbasol's are getting hard to find now anyway), just need to update the part that holds the vials... :)

I was so close to buying an old style can but decided to hold off. I'm really glad now because I feel like I would be unsatisfied with it knowing about this detail now.

Nice spot. We'll be adding this to the MKIII run of our cans. We have the concave bottom on there already, I got a personal viewing of the one on City Walk while in the USA and took some measurements :)

Attachments

• 36583095_1745730208881654_4250984086404857856_n.jpg
    36583095_1745730208881654_4250984086404857856_n.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 370
  • 36627095_1745728098881865_4595264760726945792_n (1).jpg
    36627095_1745728098881865_4595264760726945792_n (1).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 36630721_1745729775548364_2122287578840301568_n.jpg
    36630721_1745729775548364_2122287578840301568_n.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 381
Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great for those doing personal builds.

You DID state in my post that I quoted that you were “adding this to MK 111 run of our cans”

That is just begging for a C and D from a current Licensee. :unsure

Or I could share all the photos that Universal let me take of the mechanism bottom, interior can, and label for those making them for personal builds ;)

Paul

I was only trying to help. Here are the photos I took in Hollywood. As you can see the bottom is concave. The inside of the can also has no thread visible. They either mimed the screwing on and off of the can or they switched cans. In My conversation with Michael Lantieri he said "the cryocan was built on set and then approved same day, very rare for a prop to be approved that fast but Speilberg gave it the OK" and the rest was history.

Regarding the run I don't actually make the cans personally I just promote them for RB Replicas. The “adding this to MK 111 run of our cans” bit was me passing on that there may be another small run planned, but probably not now because the license is with Chronicle and I don't want to step on any toes.

Paul​

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back