Bandai 1:144 scale AT-AT

BLADE and BRUSH

WXCy6YR.jpg

This is my rendition of the lovely Bandai AT-AT kit. At some point I do intend to make a snow base for it, but my attempts so far have been less than stellar.

wiZzYmC.jpg

I took another gamble and weathered it with oil paints and mineral turpentine. Fortunately I managed to avoid any issues, but that could be because I took the precaution of removing most of the snap-fit pegs and gluing much of the kit together.

Heq9tAO.jpg

You might notice what looks a bit like snow in the images above and below. I tried using a product called Jo Sonja's Texture Paste. I've had decent results in the past, but it seems to be shrinking and drying more translucently than it used to, making it difficult to use.

walVt0a.jpg

This is an excellent kit, but one area I wanted to improve on was the feet. It was a tedious job, but I chose to scribe all the panel lines to more accurately reflect the look of the studio models. Since the lower panels are raised on the kit, I had to sand them flush with the upper part of the foot as well as scribing the lines. I also drilled those 3 holes in each ankle. That ended up being harder than it needed to be as I had to fill and re-drill a few that where off-center.

N0zRyYK.jpg

The other thing I really wanted to remedy was the detail on the top of the AT-AT (indicated by the red arrow on the right). It sits way too high on Bandai's kit compared to the references I've seen so I carefully cut it off with a hobby saw and re-attached it. The other arrow pointing to the neck section is because of a fairly obvious part separation line that I had to hide. I applied a liberal amount of glue and pushed the parts together so that soft plastic oozed from the join. I then restored the lines with careful sanding and re-scribing.

Here is a link to the imgur album if you want to zoom in even further on any of these pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/PPIxpD1

Really like the weathering and colours used on your build . Could you share what you used for the primer and base coat please ?

:cheersGed

Very nice work!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks, holtaa. I appreciate the comment.

Really like the weathering and colours used on your build . Could you share what you used for the primer and base coat please ?

:cheersGed

Thanks, gedmac66. I primed it with Tamiya's Fine White Surface Primer, which comes in a rattle can. I then did some pre-shading through my airbrush with Tamiya acrylic XF-53 Neutral Grey. The next step was to coat the whole model with XF-80 Royal Light Gray. Last, but not least, I mixed some XF-2 Flat White with Royal Light Gray and airbrushed that in the centre of various panels as well as on the top facing surfaces.

It's about time that someone finally posed the AT-AT correctly.. great job on the kit

Thanks scifiguy67. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen ESB, but I still had to go back and re-watch the Battle of Hoth to be sure of how the walkers actually walk, as silly as that sounds.

Thanks for commenting, Padawan311. Thanks also to the people who hit the like button.

BTW, while I was photographing the AT-AT I took a few more of the 1:144 X-Wing I did a little while back. Here they are for anyone who missed my original post.

Nice paint job. You don't really notice the small scale.
What did you use for the base coat?

Nice paint job. You don't really notice the small scale.
What did you use for the base coat?

Thanks Sindariel. The base coat for the X-Wing was a mix of Tamiya acrylic XF-2 Flat White and XF-55 Deck Tan. I can't recall what the ratio was, unfortunately. But if I had to guess, I'd say that it was no more than 40% Deck Tan.

Thanks. I'm usually using a self-made "Insignia White" with 90% White and 10% Deck Tan for rebel ships. Maybe i'm gonna try a heavier mix, next time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back