Randy Cooper's Jawa Sandcrawler *WIP*

Scarecrow Joe

Sr Member
This could be a very long thread so it may get boring at times. Having said that I just started with this BIG kit and also with BIG plans for it. Im planning to do complete lighting to the thing and a complete interior at least front. I will make the big ass door in the front to open and show all its goodness. A pic from the movie could explain it better than me:

42778862095_3bd9fbbcd8_b.jpg
20180725_012129 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I have some reference material but it seems that the interior of these is not known into much detail and there are a lot of variations from what Ive seen. The interior. Anyways seems to be mainly 3 levels with a crane in the upper part. Anyways, every long journey starts with the first steps.....

42778864025_3b2cb53097_b.jpg
20180727_202156 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

43635030122_754fa788cd_b.jpg
20180727_202206 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

29811999438_0199ca41d7_b.jpg
20180727_202216 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Long way to go....

Loved following your previous builds , and haven’t seen any of these with what you’re planning for yours ( exposed interior ) ! ... looking forward to seeing what/ how you tackle this subject , no matter how long it’ll take . Best of luck and ... subbed !;)

Ged

In the shot from Revenge of the Sith at the top, I’ve only just noticed the floaty thing in the background… Is that one of the salvage droids from the pod race?!

Never having built a ‘ resin ‘ model before , how difficult is it to sand / reshape when compared to styrene ( plastic kits ) or abs ( Deago MF ) plastic , and can normal fillers/ putty be used for gaps - i.e. Tamiya , Vallejo , Perfect Plastic putty etc ... ?
Hope you don’t mind the questions , I’ll keep them to a minimum .:$

Ged

Never having built a ‘ resin ‘ model before , how difficult is it to sand / reshape when compared to styrene ( plastic kits ) or abs ( Deago MF ) plastic , and can normal fillers/ putty be used for gaps - i.e. Tamiya , Vallejo , Perfect Plastic putty etc ... ?
Hope you don’t mind the questions , I’ll keep them to a minimum .:$

Ged

Dont mind the questions. Resin is more of a hassle to deal with than styrene. Its more rigid but its easily sanded. You can reshape it some with heat. Ive been using a hot air gun. Ive been going extremely slow with it, to see how much heat is needed. It turns out that a little seems enough so far. I still need to reshape some areas. Some gaps van be covered with styrene strips and of course putty. This is no Bandai paradise kit! :)

Quick update to keep things going. Started the cleaning, shaving, sanding and dremeling the rear and middle body panels to fit them to the engine module. The amount of resin dust is ridiculous. I needed to get a face mask to avoid asphyxiation....

The upper one is cleaned the lower one is as it comes in the kit. It as a big resin rib on the bottom that needs shaving of.

28914133737_8d5931eeb8_b.jpg
20180804_190400 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I ended up covered in dust, just look at the Dremel...

43850937951_bd26de1053_b.jpg
20180804_194745 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

The paneling work is very shallow at some areas and I am also scoring them to make them more visible. The detailing of the body panels is top notch however Its a great kit.

Here is a comparison between the two rear body halves. The kit has a lot of detailing but the panel lines sometimes become too shallow and need to be fixed. I also added a few panel lines since in some areas they dont show at all. The right side one is after working on them, the left is untouched as they come in the kit.

43872983661_28cb9655b7_b.jpg
20180805_204031 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Started fitting this beast and needed some creative clamping, hot air gun action and incredible amounts of patience to make the two parts some how match but it will still require adding styrene strips and putty to fill some gaps.

43873797271_f6a576a269_b.jpg
20180805_214006 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

30004418198_e3778c2234_b.jpg
20180805_214021 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

30004422548_dfc7f8f22e_b.jpg
20180805_214036 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Looks great so far.
I am reminded of the struggle I had with my Randy Cooper resin kit(there's a build thread here on the RPF, it's the Bubbleship). Just to comment on the dust from the Urethane. A facemask i a great idea, it is not particularily healthy to inhale. I did all my sanding(almost) in the bathroom under running water or with wet sanding paper/blocks to avoid it flying around.

Looks great so far.
I am reminded of the struggle I had with my Randy Cooper resin kit(there's a build thread here on the RPF, it's the Bubbleship). Just to comment on the dust from the Urethane. A facemask i a great idea, it is not particularily healthy to inhale. I did all my sanding(almost) in the bathroom under running water or with wet sanding paper/blocks to avoid it flying around.

Thanks! When this resin is sanded it not only creates a fine dust but also some residue that looks like little fibers. Almost like what freshly shredded parmesan cheese looks like. Its incredibly messy and yes....not healthy to breath in.

Looking good so far. Love the way you're taking artistic liberties with the add-on greeblies:cool

Indeed I do. I have a lot of reference from it and let me tell you....from pic to pic there is a lot of variations! It seems the model just started to fall apart while filming and handling it and they just didnt gave a frack about it! LOL! Also I figured these are salvaged old vehicles the Jawas just repaired and modified randomly. This is my version of one of them. I bet you it will look just right in the Star Wars Universe in the end.....at least I hope! LOL! The interior will also be a mash up of different versions of it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back