Tom’s ROTJ Vader MOM saber!

Loving this build thread, and this saber, of course! Its so badass it has 2 d-ring attachments! :lol

I got mine 10 or so years ago: built on a Folmer with patent and a spectacular set of conversion parts from Obikenny. Ignore the Blast-tech grips, they will be switched with Roy's soon.
View attachment 834389View attachment 834390View attachment 834391View attachment 834392View attachment 834393View attachment 834394

I have this same kit built on a graflex reborn with crappy grips and a paint job meant to look weathered, but it's all gloss and looks wrong...

Always have meant to pull apart and redo.

These are the closest things I've found for the switch.
s-l300.jpgR0221566-01.jpgbill_crown_brown_bakelite_15a_fuses.jpgbakelite-fuse-holders-fuse-links-500x500.jpgfuse-holders-250x250.jpghrc-fuse-holder-1189168.jpg

during my searches I keep cycling back to the same images and items!

Attachments

• spitfirefuse.jpg
    spitfirefuse.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 302
Yeah!

Was excited when I saw Tom's thread... not a lot of people still building these..

Scratch built version!

View attachment 834488

All from the tutorial online. pain to make the shroud, don't recommend. best to shapeways it.

I saw yours through google images - the tutorial kind of skips over the control box part, how did you make yours again?

So has anyone drill six rivet holes for Luke ESB grips on the Graflex lower before attaching the seven actual grips for ultimate accuracy?

You need upper holes too, lol -- and that's how I'm doing mine. I've also buffed off the nickle plating in several areas to give it the weird tarnished look and added the plate to the endcap.

Dave

I saw yours through google images - the tutorial kind of skips over the control box part, how did you make yours again?

I made it out of styrene... I think there are three levels. It was all kinds of insane.

I then got the kit part, and then could make sure it was identical to THAT... Surprisingly the only thing I had to do was trim a millimeter off each side... pretty accurate eyeballing :ninja

Last edited:
So has anyone drill six rivet holes for Luke ESB grips on the Graflex lower before attaching the seven actual grips for ultimate accuracy?

I actually drilled all 12 holes on mine. it looks like they drilled out the big and small screws because they're all almost the same size. (the upper and lower ones on the MOM Saber.)

I eyeballed them for randomness :)

oh man tom! great thread!

any ideas on what they used for the black band holding the top and bottom together?

I think in the past it was believed it was a length of 1.5" tube sliced lengthwise and wrapped around the flash body.

I don't think it actually does anything to hold it together, more just covers up the L cuts in the Graflex and helps sell the "clamp" look.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

There's halliwax! thank you guys

Yea, I have a u-bend sink pipe piece I was going to just cut and wrap around the body.

I maaayyyy hide a couple extra countersunk screws for the bottom half underneath the clamp band

I think in the past it was believed it was a length of 1.5" tube sliced lengthwise and wrapped around the flash body.

I don't think it actually does anything to hold it together, more just covers up the L cuts in the Graflex and helps sell the "clamp" look.

What do you think is holding the 2 parts together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's halliwax! thank you guys

Yea, I have a u-bend sink pipe piece I was going to just cut and wrap around the body.

I maaayyyy hide a couple extra countersunk screws for the bottom half underneath the clamp band

I’m back buddy! ;) really excited to see all these great new threads, I got a lot of catching up to do

Looking great!

I slapped together one of these “ugly but so cool” stunt sabers over the course of about 3 years as I was able to locate parts. It pretty much remains a work in progress with the most recent changes being replacing the grips with a set from Wanna Wanga and replacing the damaged socket pins with pins from TGS.

I still have not found a satisfactory answer for the control box and would love to see a talented artist do a run of accurate control boxes.

View attachment 834300View attachment 834301View attachment 834299View attachment 834302

I have a master for the control box and shroud, but the molds busted a few years ago after sitting on my shelf forever. I'll have to dig it out of storage and see if there is any interest in some good resin casts. ;)

What do you think is holding the 2 parts together?

Honestly I'm not sure, but I'd guess that whatever is inside the flash tube (perhaps another smaller tube?) along with the "control box" and the big hex screws are likely holding the two halves together in some way.

I'm still waiting on some grips, might have found a source for a shroud and a 3D printed control box. I realized the box is kind-of what holds this thing together, so it's still sitting in two pieces lol

I plan on taking the 3D print of the control box to some electronics stores to see if they recognize it.

Alright folks, went to Shaner electric, who managed to find ballasts for my dads 70s bathroom bulbs and they guy looked at the 3 D print and sighed. He has no idea, his best guess was a micro switch and without part numbers he wouldn’t be able to even search.

so, yea I got the parts from shapeways. The control box is the only thing I ordered for this saber and is actually solid plastic, not a shell! Not half bad, and I’m tempted to use it without any other options.

i used VHB tape to stick on some 9cm grips, roughly scaled from the visual dictionary’s dimensions they typed out.

I used a gold colored bread pan to cut a brass disc (yes really) and with a dreamer cut off wheel...it came out looking pretty similar to the prop itself. That’s one of Roy’s d rings popped on there as well as his grips! I drilled all three once, riveted them together and then did the second hole from the beginning.

i used the old MOM pictures to line everything up and the holes on the prop really don’t line up in a like ESB fashion. I noticed when I started laying the t track on, the ones up top are centered and the ones on bottom are off to a side, like t was upside down or something.

weirdzzz anyways next comes the control box, a shroud and the d ring...the other one.

ooh! The motorcycle tire valves came and they’re too small, so I’m sticking with my original ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I used a dremel. I do not make dreamers cut my lightsaber parts

Attachments

• 7C945D78-5F96-451A-A95A-CF665214277F.jpeg
    7C945D78-5F96-451A-A95A-CF665214277F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 203
  • 2EB1C12E-FBD7-44F6-AE4B-2EBC3B660104.jpeg
    2EB1C12E-FBD7-44F6-AE4B-2EBC3B660104.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 01BC2A50-21C2-4D47-AAA8-48DC2ABA06EF.jpeg
    01BC2A50-21C2-4D47-AAA8-48DC2ABA06EF.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 194
  • A4C2FB9A-64DD-4375-8BC0-DD7B5471037B.jpeg
    A4C2FB9A-64DD-4375-8BC0-DD7B5471037B.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 0F0BD040-4F81-4A7F-A9BE-5773F3D3ADC5.jpeg
    0F0BD040-4F81-4A7F-A9BE-5773F3D3ADC5.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 206
  • 41E4C1C4-8225-4F55-A69D-860337BEECE1.jpeg
    41E4C1C4-8225-4F55-A69D-860337BEECE1.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 221
  • 7A2F4D0C-A0C1-4006-9640-7485F6B9F218.jpeg
    7A2F4D0C-A0C1-4006-9640-7485F6B9F218.jpeg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 817E3EF9-1CA2-4AA0-90B3-C2EA00881127.jpeg
    817E3EF9-1CA2-4AA0-90B3-C2EA00881127.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 219
that ******* box could be anything... dying for someone to do a CNC run of aluminum parts for this saber... the DV6 is my fav vader saber..

tom your doing a excellent job

that ******* box could be anything... dying for someone to do a CNC run of aluminum parts for this saber... the DV6 is my fav vader saber..

tom your doing a excellent job

thanks halliwax! means a lot - I should have put up the colored photo of the endcap, the brass looks pretty fly beneath the kobold clip.

I'm going to drill and tap two screws through the control box and not glue it, that way, like a washer, I can just swap it out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back