3D Printed Solo Dice

Yodamann

After watching Solo, I decided I wanted a set of lucky Sabacc Dice to hang from my rear view mirror in my car, Honda Carrissian. I used the research done in this thread (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285252) to make sure that the file I found on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2932176) was accurate. The faces were in the right positions, but the first die off the printer was a bit big. I went back to the slicer and sized it down to 80%. That worked great, so I printed the second one and got to sanding.

uoC7OLi.jpg

Here's one die sanded, just before die #2 got the same treatment.

0PgiaXx.jpg

both of them ready for priming

I picked up some Gold spray paint, and a craft chain from Micheal's, so that's ready to go. Next steps are priming the dice, painting them and attaching the chain. Hopefully, I'll have these in my car by Monday.

Thanks for rounding off the corners. Remember the paint will amplify any defect, you might find that an exacto knife can work better than sanding on PLA.

Thanks for the tips! I hope to get them primed this evening, so I'll see at that point how good a job I did sanding.
[br]
UPDATE:

Well, I got a few coats of filler primer down, and they're looking pretty good, if I do say so myself. Just gotta give 'em one more pass of sanding, and I think I'll be able to get the final paint on.

xSZsrKK.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice! It's another project I have on my to do list....
Thanks! It was a pretty easy project, if I had done a better job sanding the first time, it would've been maybe two hours of non-printing work.

Speaking of, I got these bad boys finished! I dipped them in a mixture of dollarama acrylic paint and water to weather them, wiping away some of the excess. Then I used two sets of pliers to open up the chain links on the end to capture the dice.

vcZSlNQ.jpg

Here they are in all their majesty, hanging on Honda Carrissian's rear view mirror. I used a 20cm length of chain.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back