Build Log - Daedric Armor (Plus spear!) [COMPLETE]

Re: Build Log - Daedric Armor (Pic Heavy)

No new pictures (or maybe I do have some, I'll need to check), but almost everything is finished. I've done padding and straps and tested most of the movement of parts in chunks (e.g. thigh, shin, foot) and I have quite good mobility.
All I need to do now is wait for my Chicago screws (damn shipping is taking a while) so I can attach the pauldrons, finish up the chain detail on the front of the website, and attach the cloak. Once that happens I'll post a full test fit.
I've also decided that I won't do LEDs in the eyes, I'm liking the armor with just the black and silver as is. If I ever light up the entire thing in the future (I need to learn to solder first) then I will add some.
And I do have photos, just of the toe/boot I will be wearing, and the insides of the chest (soundproofing foam as padding on the back piece)
24d625b155aa05f94e019f54aab5c063.jpg
c413f4ec32f5b07a50a6910def7acafd.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Days until con: 48

I couldn't resist and decided to do an almost full test fit. I'm missing the shoulders, neck, and a glove (but that was just so I could take the photo). I'll be doing a proper suit up/360 view/range of movement video either on the day or once I get it fully finished and have a friend around to help me out.
fe49eb1c0373db5d20d5161c76a03da9.jpg
3c002d207c9522b87793243b6c908dce.jpg
ed08a82c9d74e8fa807293f5683d9056.jpg

Last edited:

Days until con: 47
Not a proper update, but given that the armor is almost completely finished and I still have just over a month left, I will have time to make the spear/glaive. I've already assembled the blade (enlarged Daedric dagger) and bottom (blade at the bottom of the double-handed axe). The resin shouldn't take too long as the pieces are small, and so I just need to buy a PVC pipe for the handle.

Re: Build Log - Daedric Armor (Plus spear!)

Days until con: 46
I just realised I never posted a picture of the Amulet of Talos that I 3D modelled! I did this weeks ago, and I will be getting it 3D printed soonish. If anyone wants the file just let me know. The macaroni shaped bit up the top is hollow, so I will be able to put a chain or leather cord through.
In the future I might mould it so I can make copies.
amulet.JPG

Days until con: 35
Wow ok, it's getting closer and I'm starting to stress slightly. The first spear tip that I pep'd was waaaay too big, so I did another one. I'm going to be doing the resin today, as well as hopefully attaching the pauldrons and cloak. Expect some more progress over the next few days. It was dark outside when I finished the pep, so the photo isn't too good. Sorry bout that. Not super related, but I've been looking into my next project, the Praetorian Guards from The Last Jedi. I want to get started on at least working out the templates pretty soon after Oz Comic Con, so expect to see a new thread about that sometime in October/November.
IMG_20180824_174110119.jpg
IMG_20180824_174357707.jpg

Days until con: 34
So I've been working non-stop for the past 4 hours (and listened to 2 episodes of We've Got Ward) and I've made quite a bit of progress again. First off, I've done all the resin for the spear parts. I made sure to do my inner later extra thick, I will either be accidentally banging it into things or dropping it and I don't want anything to break.
I'll be continuing with detail and paint for that throughout the week. On the subject of paint, I touched up some areas that I missed before, normally just around edges. No pics cause it wasn't that noticable, but it was bugging me.

I also (finally) got the pauldrons rigged up and attached to the torso. I can in fact get them on myself with a bit of stretching, but I stupidly forgot to put on the upper arm pieces for when I took the photo, so you get to see my skinny little nerd arms.
They sit in roughly the right place, and have a small degree of movement up and down, enough that I can swing a (prop) weapon and get my helmet on and off.
The cloak I'll hopefully finish up tomorrow, all I really need to do it cut some holes to attach it over the Chicago screws. I'm going to attach at least the screws on the back permanently to the armor, but probably leave the front ones loose for ease of access. I'll just see what works I guess.
ad867967315e81f48e942d9cf6b27c65.jpg
40124b61244826c5f29d8b2c83892e0d.jpg
ab26ade07fa00f06e6d7cb098e85dd0f.jpg
23fe7dd6e9f825ab37ae379b2e391e6b.jpg
759e5b375895d1f2c5928385e56d1f2c.jpg
f1fadaa32ed01685fac90f09f0ea4b48.jpg

Last edited:

Great work so far. Really coming together and seemingly with time to far ( I hope! )
Yes, it's exciting! I've entered the Cosplay Active comp at Oz Comic Con so now I've got the added pressure of that motivating me to make sure I get the spear done, and to also make sure I don't cut corners. Thanks :)

Days until con: 33
Damn, just over a month. I'm both excited and nervous, I've signed up for the Cosplay Active comp and will probably just do some poses/talk about the costume but I'm still kind of scared haha. Anyone got some tips for my about being up on stage?

Anyway, I've done the cloak. The fabric is a little transparent, and I've added some rips and made the end kind of scraggly, and the fabric will probably fray a bit more before the con, which I want. The photos aren't particularly good, shockingly enough, it's hard to take a photo of your own back. The second pic is just showing the end as you can't see it in the first one.

IMG_20180826_151453414 (1).jpg
IMG_20180826_124431206.jpg

I've also started on the detailing and attachment for the spear. I've finished the base, now I just need to do the blade and the haft. The resin on these bits ended up super tough, I mixed a thicker batch 1:1 as opposed to 2 parts resin 1 part body filler. I also added extra to make sure the layer itself was also thick. Unlike the armor I didn't need to worry as much about the thickness or weight (they are both relatively small pieces) and with my clumsiness as well as the fact I will be wearing armored gloves, I wanted it to be able to withstand some punishment.

IMG_20180826_084544117.jpg

Days until con: 23
So it's been a while. The con is just over 3 weeks away and I am very excited, I plan on doing a full suit up and practicing some poses/movement for the comp. Might post a video of that, I'll see if I can find a better camera than my phone one somewhere.

I've gotten the construction and detailing on the spear all finished up, and I will hopefully do the painting over the weekend. The black stuff is fake leather that I wrapped around and stuck down using contact cement. I'll mask it off when I paint, but I wanted to do it before I added the foam bits as they help to hold the ends down.
IMG_20180906_112605884.jpg
First step, the fake leather wraps. These were spaced 39cm in from each side (1/3 of the remaining length of the haft), and each one is 14cm wide, the perfect width for when I have the gloves on.

IMG_20180906_121138782.jpg
The foam was 2 layers of craft foam, so 4mm total. I just sandwiched them together with contact cement and trimmed the overlap slightly, and it ends up without even a visible seam as long as you glue it right. Each strip was 3cm wide (these parts were possibly the only time I did actually measurements haha)
IMG_20180906_132823679.jpg
Finished it off with one layer of craft foam, 1cm wide, plus some googly eyes. I ended up removing the ones in the middle, I was worried they would fall off as I slid my hands around, plus I think it looks better. I was also going to add some more detail with the foam + some runes in that middle section but I didn't want it to be too busy.

IMG_20180906_132744321.jpg
Both handles done.

IMG_20180906_132757216.jpg
The finished bottom part. I sealed the foam on this part as well as on the blade with just a thin layer of contact cement (which works surprisingly well, though I wouldn't use it for a fully foam build) as it provides a slightly different look, and the silver parts on the weapons do look different to those on the armor.

IMG_20180906_132820345.jpg
The blade. I just realised I hadn't posted a pic of the fully detailed blade, so here you go!

NOICE! It is already looking so great and you haven't even finished!
Thanks hah. Did you manage to get any photos of the amulet printing or nah? Will I be able to grab it Monday? I want to do a bit of filling and sanding and stuff to get it to look nice before paint.

Thanks hah. Did you manage to get any photos of the amulet printing or nah? Will I be able to grab it Monday? I want to do a bit of filling and sanding and stuff to get it to look nice before paint.

I didn't get any photos, had to scuttle off to english class! (literally hit print and then left) Yeah its printing overnight with the year 12's stuff so you can grab it in the morn if you're coming in. Tring suggested spray paint or nail polish for painting the printed designs... idk! trust her to make a comment like that. It did look good on the egg cups - both of those techniques. she's printing in red because that's what was loaded. but you can spray it white for a base. Edit: we'll pop it in the acid bath and it will be pretty smooth after that - but yeah you can probs still see the lines on the side - it's printing face up so you'll only have to sand the height.

I didn't get any photos, had to scuttle off to english class! (literally hit print and then left) Yeah its printing overnight with the year 12's stuff so you can grab it in the morn if you're coming in. Tring suggested spray paint or nail polish for painting the printed designs... idk! trust her to make a comment like that. It did look good on the egg cups - both of those techniques. she's printing in red because that's what was loaded. but you can spray it white for a base. Edit: we'll pop it in the acid bath and it will be pretty smooth after that - but yeah you can probs still see the lines on the side - it's printing face up so you'll only have to sand the height.

Nice! Yeah, I've seen people use acetone to smooth but I guess the acid does the same thing? Probably gonna spray a base of black then do the silver enamel over that, get a nice shiny finish before weathering it a bit. Thanks dude :)

Days until con: 21
I got most of the painting for the spear done today, I'm letting the enamel paint dry overnight before I do the weathering tomorrow though. It's been kinda rainy lately, otherwise I probably would have managed to get it all done today.
I masked off the handles, then sprayed a later of black, then the dark silver enamel. Nothing really different to the armor, except for the fact that the blade is painted silver rather than some of the details.
c74c6204731fdcf4cb81891a03ff2a6f.jpg
5f87758774a2eece713806d0f3b64e55.jpg
b167b6088cb1b51f5a0e20ecfcc29695.jpg

Days until con: 19
So it's all finished! I got the spear done yesterday, and so it is officially done. I can't really suit up on my own, much less take good photos of the full thing, so I will do so on the day of the con. Anyone else going to be at OZCC Sydney on the Saturday?
Here is a few pics of the spear:
IMG_20180909_101537123.jpg
IMG_20180909_101556224.jpg
IMG_20180909_101603874.jpg
IMG_20180909_101606722_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_102013323.jpg

WOW! So incredibly cool! 100% bringing my ring light and we can take some shots of that amazing armour and spear! So exciting! The weathering and everything looks so good.

Days until con: 19
So it's all finished! I got the spear done yesterday, and so it is officially done. I can't really suit up on my own, much less take good photos of the full thing, so I will do so on the day of the con. Anyone else going to be at OZCC Sydney on the Saturday?
Here is a few pics of the spear:
View attachment 841822
View attachment 841823
View attachment 841824
View attachment 841825
View attachment 841826
Looking great. I'm going,
but only the Sunday

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back