AMT Slave 1

I'll probably use a small brush and maybe tape for large areas. Some freyed steel wool works great for getting a realistic edges.

Ah! Going to have to look into that. I been scratching my head trying to figure out how to get that cool look. Can’t wait to see your work.

im buying my son a slave 1. Either the one you have or the smaller fine molds one. Going to work side by side with him on my own project. Any thoughts of which one to get him? He’s 13.

Ah! Going to have to look into that. I been scratching my head trying to figure out how to get that cool look. Can’t wait to see your work.

im buying my son a slave 1. Either the one you have or the smaller fine molds one. Going to work side by side with him on my own project. Any thoughts of which one to get him? He’s 13.
The 1/144 scale Bandai is the superior kit. Its smaller but the detail is amazing, its prepainted and it fits together without any glue whatsoever. Its almost like connecting legos. You cant go wrong. I have one waiting but Im doing this one first for a challenge.

So i masked the upper hull today and shot it with some ghost grey mixed with a little intermediate green which gave me this minty fresh color. I think I will have to knock it down some with a mist of greyish grime later on but I like the pattern so far.

Attachments

• hull mask.jpg
    hull mask.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 239
  • lt mask.jpg
    lt mask.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 238
  • rt mask.jpg
    rt mask.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 252
That looks amazing! How did you apply the latex? Great job! Also what putty do you use? I have Vallejo putty but not 100% sure if it’s sandable etc.

That looks amazing! How did you apply the latex? Great job! Also what putty do you use? I have Vallejo putty but not 100% sure if it’s sandable etc.
Thanks! I applied Vallejo mask with a small paint brush and "frayed" it out at some of the edges with some fine steel wool held with a tweezers. As for putty I use this

Attachments

• bondo.jpg
    bondo.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 187
Thanks Jake.

On the photo can you circle a spot so I can see what the wool actually did? If not no worries. Looks great man.

Thanks! I applied Vallejo mask with a small paint brush and "frayed" it out at some of the edges with some fine steel wool held with a tweezers. As for putty I use this

Thanks Jake.

On the photo can you circle a spot so I can see what the wool actually did? If not no worries. Looks great man.

I circled two spots where I used the steel wool but its kinda everywhere there is a tiny line or spot.

Attachments

• lt mask c.jpg
    lt mask c.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
Yes, just like using a piece of sponge. As for the wool, I dont have the bag. But I remember buying it at an autozone. It was the finest grade. Maybe 1000?

Yes, just like using a piece of sponge. As for the wool, I dont have the bag. But I remember buying it at an autozone. It was the finest grade. Maybe 1000?

Thank you you for answering all my questions I appreciate it a lot. Paint job looks really good man. How will you do the walking deck?

I taped up and chipped out the "humps" then also taped off the big funky multi-panel on the backbone. I shot it with some green/grey mix. I shot the ramp with some dark military grey. I used some fine steel wool to buff on the red skirt in order to knock down the color a tad and give it a slightly used look. Then set it down to take some shots so I can get an objective view of how its going so far.

Taped up.jpgLt side parked.jpgfront parked.jpgRt side parked.jpg

Last edited:
I taped up and chipped out the "humps" then also taped off the big funky multi-panel on the backbone. I shot it with some green/grey mix. I shot the ramp with some dark military grey. I used some fine steel wool to buff on the red skirt in order to knock down the color a tad and give it a slightly used look. Then set it down to take some shots so I can get an objective view of how its going so far.

View attachment 837257View attachment 837258View attachment 837259View attachment 837256

Oh man this looks great

J

Had a unfortunate accident with Boba. Now I need to create some arms for him. Unless someone knows of a good replacement out there?
boba.jpg
Worked on the barren cockpit area and tried to add some detail. I think the final color for this will be a dark greyish green.

cp2.jpg

cp1.jpg

And finally cut out the engine openings so my LEDs will show through. I'll be using a portable string of Halloween LEDs from last year. They have a cool looking shade of orange. I had to cut two full ribs worth of nozzle to get them to sit properly. I don't know why AMT thought they needed to stick out a full inch!
I also added a bit of grey spatter to the left wing hump. For some reason though I cant get the image to upload.

cutaway.jpg

I worked on some more painting this afternoon.
Mainly just getting the base coat down in the cockpit and the back/bottom plate. I also layed out some more detail on the side of the area that the guns mount to. Those four pesky wires that I hastely sanded off last week. Ive also got a micro-machines boba fett coming in the mail. Hopefully he wont be too big but ill see tomorrow.

Attachments

• back plate.jpg
    back plate.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 301
  • lt hull.jpg
    lt hull.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 313
  • rt h.jpg
    rt h.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 300
  • rt hull.jpg
    rt hull.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 280
  • skirt.jpg
    skirt.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 277
  • cp dark.jpg
    cp dark.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 244
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back