Y-Wing pilot helmet

Lunchbox

After "lurking" for many years, I figured I'd actually post something, I hope it's worthy...
I've just finished up with a set of Y-Wing helmet vac-molds, three molds in all, left half, right half, and visor. The painted prototype and visor test pull are in .125 HIPS. The white shells are .080 hips ( not quite thick enough for my liking ) with a .040 poly-carb visor test pull. I also knocked out some greeblie files in Fusion 360 and printed them a few days ago, not perfect, but close enough for me. Comments, criticism welcome, hope the pics work....
3jAmosN.jpg

aWo80yo.jpg

t27y67F.jpg

jYlAcMI.jpg

Great job and yes the design and paintwork on these helmets are very under appreciated I think. I've always loved them. :)

Ben

I've always liked the more obscure pilot helmets used by the Rebel pilots.

Does anyone know what the original prop was made from?

Such a cool design, yet an under appreciated helmet.
You have really pulled this off.
The shape and paint look great.
Now tell me how I can bribe you to pop out another one for me?
Robert

Wonderful work! Also not an expert but this definitely looks the part, and nice pulls! Can we have a peek at your process for making the bucks?

Thanks for all the kind words, it's very much appreciated. I've always loved the Y and A wing helmets too. The paint job was just a quick one day throw on some color / patterns so it wasn't boring white primer.

Robert, I have several friends that wanted kits, so I was planning on doing a small run of these anyway, so if it's OK, I'll PM you with some details after I get the quote on PETG for the visors.

Pedro, I'll see about posting some better WIP pics, but basically I just print out a basic profile, cut out layers of MDF, stack, sand to general shape, and LOTS of bondo to finish. The other pic is from my Battlefront helmet but it shows the stacked layers.
BSYSCoP.jpg

dbIqnEU.jpg

I'd love to see more pics of the finished one. More angles from a distance and zoomed in to give perspective. If it's cool. I think it looks fantastic. ;)

Ben

I've had some questions regarding the helmet's scale and camera distance on the above pics, so these were taken from 32 inches away, so as to avoid any skewing. I attempted to add an overlay with the picture I believe was taken years back at the Magic of the Myth exhibit (excuse my poor photoshop skills) I matched up the hands for scale and lined up the circular indents, my photo angle is a bit off, but it's close. The Hockey masks are the standard Friday part 3 size.
KJH7rQm.jpg

d5VvcW7.jpg

OAqr2PC.jpg

Y5f5rhH.jpg

FrNH8ev.jpg

Damn she's beautiful!! Thanks so much for the extra pics. I appreciate it. ;) You sure get a better perspective from those. I'd love one down the road a bit. :)

Ben

Hey that's my hand! LOL. I took those pics at the Star Wars live Soundtrack concert in London O2 Arena.

Great to see the overlay.

Great looking sculpt.

Graham

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back