GS/CFO ROTJ Darth Vader helmet in full blast detail!

RotJDarthVader3.jpgoriginal1_1.jpgImage5_1.jpgImage11_1.jpg

Compare these to my pictures.

You cannot find the right color with frames from the movie or pics online.They used so much different lights,filters and image processing...over the years so much people said that they have found the "perfect" gunmetal...but if this is a 100% match for you..its great.;)

You cannot find the right color with frames from the movie or pics online.They used so much different lights,filters and image processing...over the years so much people said that they have found the "perfect" gunmetal...but if this is a 100% match for you..its great.;)

My point was more showing the lack of metallic sheen then the exact shade of grey. Those pics show a light regular grey and that is exactly what Mark used, Tudor Light Grey.

Mark has done a lot of digging to get to the color he used. I am the king at freeze framing ROTJ, its like a nightly ritual for me and his color is dead on.

Mark certainly has done a heck of a lot of research (and your helmet's fantastic!) but I know he won't mind me adding that his paint info came from me to begin with, following chats I've had with Ron Punter.

The original grey paint was a custom mix, sadly the details of that precise mix are long lost but Mark's found a very close colour from the same brand. If he's using the paint I think he is, it will be metallic but with fine metal flakes, which is as it should be. The original facemasks were painted this way, not lacquered but hand polished (some moreso than others).

When you spray clearcoat on a metallic paint its like a loupe...you will see the metallic flakes more.Good for Cars..bad for Vaderhelmets.
But if you polish the gunmetal direct you don´t have this bad effect.For me thats a proof that the Originals had no clearcoat.
That could be the reason why Mark didn´t used metallic flakes in his paint.

Mark certainly has done a heck of a lot of research (and your helmet's fantastic!) but I know he won't mind me adding that his paint info came from me to begin with, following chats I've had with Ron Punter.

The original grey paint was a custom mix, sadly the details of that precise mix are long lost but Mark's found a very close colour from the same brand. If he's using the paint I think he is, it will be metallic but with fine metal flakes, which is as it should be. The original facemasks were painted this way, not lacquered but hand polished (some moreso than others).

When I look at the paint Mark used and compare it to the paint JMC used on my Stone helmet there is a noticeable difference. JMC's paint is way more metallic while Marks looks flat next to it.

- - - Updated - - -

When you spray clearcoat on a metallic paint its like a loupe...you will see the metallic flakes more.Good for Cars..bad for Vaderhelmets.
But if you polish the gunmetal direct you don´t have this bad effect.For me thats a proof that the Originals had no clearcoat.
That could be the reason why Mark didn´t used metallic flakes in his paint.

Also to note that Mark used a Lacquered instead of clear coat, I dont know if that has any effect on the gunmetal.

- - - Updated - - -

I could always be wrong too! It just way less metallic on the cfo then my stone.

I can only speak for normal metallicpaints.But if you mix a very low amount of metal flakes in the grey it could also look good with clearcoat on it.Problems like that are the reason why I paint everything myself.Perhaps not always perfect but I´m happy with it at the end.;)

Jeremy, the Vader hotline has been very helpful [emoji16]
The paint I use is Rolls Royce and is metallic but has very fine metallic flakes compared to other paints.
As for lacquer, they may have lacquered them and wet sanded or the just used a gloss solid colour and sanded and polished that. It’s hard to tell once wet sanded.
I’ve been learning on the job and painting is not my primary skill. It’s been a big learning curve. But I have learnt that wet sanded and polished lacquer looks different to just lacquered and left as is. Wet sanding blends the lacquer into the surface of the base coat and can look as if it’s just been glossed in a solid colour. Opposed to just looking like gloss is lying on the surface. If that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely can not stop looking at this helmet eveytime Im at home. I stare at it, it is so sexy!

This helmet has the most detail I have ever seen in a vader helmet. All of the ones before it(I have owned), including the Stone helmet, are either soft or sanded/cleaned up way to much. This bad boy is sharp bumpy and all kinds of wonky. A true representation of the originals

You cannot compare this helmet with "regular helmets"...you must compare it with TM,VP or SL.Thats the sphere of this beauty.;)
For ROTJ you cannot become a better helmet in my eyes.That why I spent all this money in a raw cast.:lol

You cannot compare this helmet with "regular helmets"...you must compare it with TM,VP or SL.Thats the sphere of this beauty.;)
For ROTJ you cannot become a better helmet in my eyes.That why I spent all this money in a raw cast.:lol

This happens to be my first helmet from the exclusive world of authentic casts, All I have to compare with is the regular Joe schmoes Like the Darth Ugly, Portumac and Stone.

Edit: I just looked at photos of the TM as I was browsing the Prop Den's photos on facebook, and noticed one detail on the original TM that was removed on the copies yet still retained on the CFO version! Its a bump under the right hand side cheek whisker. The tubes on the TM also look way cleaner. Just some thing I noticed while browsing photos.

Edit again: I can not see that bump on any of the screen used masks, I can only trace it back to the TM and GS helmets, odd.

Last edited:
Is this suppose to be THE screen used ANH Face? I see it here too.

12494794_1062466330485045_2961557432571227843_n.jpg

Its hard to tell from the bad quality but I do not see it in the Kermit photos.

10363539_751409128257435_2944425140281538831_n.jpg

And here is a screen used ROTJ helmet from the wire magazine and no bump.

12605301_1024813124250366_967071031352579909_o.png

Amy White ESB helmet has it.
newesb2_zpsf3d8b277.jpg

But it looks very faint on the mask from this screen shot.

Edit: I do not think it is there, I now believe the C scar mask does not have it.

darth-vader-a-new-hope-1.jpg

Last edited:
I blieve the first photo I posted with the mask next to the whip is the screen used ANH mask that is in the screen shot I also posted, They both have the C scar and both have the bump! But the Kermit photo has no bump and C Scar so I believe it is a different mask. Of course the C scar mask is in Grunbergs(Spelled right?) collection in its original state, so I believe the Kermit mask was the one found in the safe by the crew of ESB and refinished as ESB for the film.

Edit: So we know(or well I believe at least) the TM and the GS come from the same molds as they both are ANH with the chin vent outlined and both have that same bump.

Edit again: I am soo lost with this bump, I can not see it in the Grunberg photos!!! Im starting to confuse my self. LOL. Its there but not there!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back