Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First bld) (pic hvy, upd 27-10)

Hoplitespear

Sr Member
Hi there,

all my previous threads where in costume forums but my hobby has shifted. Since my first visit on this forum the modelling sections have always fascinated me.

I’m amazed by all the talent here, the star wars builds are amazing, but scratch builds and kit bashes amaze me even more. After seeing all the posts of the big names here, I decided to try modelling instead of prop/cosplay making.

I started off with a kit to see if I had any affinity to the craft or the drive to complete a model.

As per usual I over estimated my abilities and didn’t wane settle for a simple tank or plane. So I went to the store and came home with the Revell Bismarck 1/350. A few weeks ago I was able to complete it. You can see it here. Although it’s far from perfect, many mistakes were made and it took me a long time… it got me sold, hooked to modelling.

Now tanks, boats etc… don’t interest me much, it’s the scratch build space ships or kit bashed sci-fi vehicles that do it for me. I’m not ready yet for a complete scratch build, as styrene etc is still new for me, so I decided to alter an existing model.

This brings me to the topic (title) at hand. I work at a Volvo dealership and when looking at one of the toy models on our desk the idea struck me to make a blade-runner/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic hybrid of a Volvo FH truck. One with hover engines etc…

So I went out and bought the Italeri Volvo FH16 1/24 kit. Some styrene stock and other random supplies and got started.

odIavSR.jpg

The plan is to keep the original engine and suspension of the truck but retro-fit it to hold hover engines. Imagine technology getting a huge boost overnight and people changing the current vehicles to adapt to air-traffic/flight. (kinda like the DeLorean from BTTF).

So to have something to build on I decided to make the engine and chassis original and then start adding sci-fi stuff.

Engine:

6wCUziL.jpg

zy44B3H.jpg

Chassis:
mw9qgeH.jpg

And then I got hit with the realisation of what you guys do, it is not just throwing greeblies at it and calling it sci-fi it has to ‘work’. Stuff has to look like it is supported by brackets, connected, ‘could work’.

So my way of connecting the normal engine to the new ‘technology’ is the drive shaft. I got an old Type XXI U 2540 sub kit from a friend and got some stuff out to make a cover for the drive shaft. The idea is that the shaft’s rotation generates some kind of energy powering two huge engines that generate energy to hover.

Drive shaft cut up and modified:
jt9nnV9.jpg

Installed(first time making something out of styrene, damn it’s not that easy :s):
ycR6GlO.jpg

I altered the two sub engines to fit on the chassis of the truck and connected them to the drive shaft mod with a huge conduit.
DYi8nAg.jpg

My idea for the actual thrusters are cut up ping pong balls. They have the exact diameter of the original tyres that came with the kit. I cut two holes with an exacto-compass. Then fitted a piece of the original rim from the kit.

MTNOHSc.jpg

RHIhiUG.jpg

w2HzC4b.jpg

This is what I have so far! I know it is not a star wars ship or something else fancy but I want to share this, I have a feeling I can learn allot from it.

More to come!

-Hopli-

Edit: maybe a good time to add my first question. How do you guys do this for painting, I primed as much as I could before installing. But I just can't build more without permanently installing some parts. Do you try to keep as much separate as possible? It’s going to be a pain painting those engines underneath that drive shaft.
And if I paint the stuff now before adding more, I won’t be able to spray primer w/o masking (which in this case is impossible). Any tips?

Attachments

• 6wCUziL.jpg
    6wCUziL.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Re: Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First build)

I love it! Just remember that masking doesn't have to be tape. It can be wet tissue stuffed in a cavity, liquid latex, toothpaste, cling wrap, whatever will block paint. Some people like to keep components separate, I'm too impatient so I just glue it all together and worry about the masking later.

-Rog

Looks awesome! I look forward to seeing the end result. Also, love the fact that you're being very careful about how you build your model... how you said each part has to have a function and appear that it works. Throwing greeblies at it can be fun, but it's worth the extra time to think about it methodically.

I'm not very experienced as I haven't been doing modeling/making props very long, but typically I try to figure out ahead of time what needs to be painted. I break down my model or prop in my head and then decide to paint the buried parts before I put it together. And if I need to prime the whole thing later, I just get some low tack tape. I just reccomend painting it before putting it together if it's a big concern. Not that this would be applicable here, but you should totally use stretch wrap to cover a large surface and use tape on the end to get a clean edge if you don't already.

Hope the build goes well and good luck!
Regards,
Prop Rocks

I love it! Just remember that masking doesn't have to be tape. It can be wet tissue stuffed in a cavity, liquid latex, toothpaste, cling wrap, whatever will block paint. Some people like to keep components separate, I'm too impatient so I just glue it all together and worry about the masking later.

-Rog

Thanks! I think I'll do the same, but atleast split up the chassis and cab.

Looks awesome! I look forward to seeing the end result. Also, love the fact that you're being very careful about how you build your model... how you said each part has to have a function and appear that it works. Throwing greeblies at it can be fun, but it's worth the extra time to think about it methodically.

I'm not very experienced as I haven't been doing modeling/making props very long, but typically I try to figure out ahead of time what needs to be painted. I break down my model or prop in my head and then decide to paint the buried parts before I put it together. And if I need to prime the whole thing later, I just get some low tack tape. I just reccomend painting it before putting it together if it's a big concern. Not that this would be applicable here, but you should totally use stretch wrap to cover a large surface and use tape on the end to get a clean edge if you don't already.

Hope the build goes well and good luck!
Regards,
Prop Rocks

Thank you for your kind words! Indeed I'm gonna wait and see how it goes, if something really gets buried I'll paint it first, otherwise I'll just wait like Rog said.

So Updates!!! (PIC HEAVY) I might post a tad to many pictures but I wanne log this first built in the detail, might as well share it then!

So we ended up with the basic shape for the thruster, time to flesh them out and add detail.

I started with adding a T channel to the bottom covered with a circular piece. This was needed to create a nice even circle.

9DBXoxi.jpg

After that I cut out an area on the sides to add greeblies to make them look more 'realistic'. This is my first time doing this kind of stuff, and actually building something up from 0 so don't be to hard on me.

Cut out area's, glued in pieces of styrene, filled the gaps with plastic putty, trim and sand....

GjD1efs.jpg

fZOeHas.jpg

Z038aQw.jpg

After that I added a 'bumper' ring with halfpipe styrene to protect the thrusters when hitting something while maneuvering, or like I like to call it: 'How to cover all your fingers in CA glue'

3uEN2TH.jpg

The plan from the start was adding some kind of nozzle with flaps? panels? This was where I realised why scratch builders have over 100's of hours of work. Creating loads of tiny pieces and doing repetitive tasks takes time. (same for the sanding). I used the other side of the original wheel rims for this. This way the complete original tire rim is used for the thrusters.

My workflow: Adding T-channel to the rim part. / cutting a chamfer on the T-channel / cutting 32 flap pieces and adding them on.

HOqmFsv.jpg

gprNWoW.jpg

oYfIvaI.jpg

Z6hAJ0b.jpg

afNMG0D.jpg

Then I picked up the cutouts from the ping pong balls (Nothing goes to waste!!!) and added some track pieces of my donor kits. (I bought 4 really cheap revell tanks on a second hand site for donor kits)

SikPiJK.jpg

Thy fit perfectly in the back of the rim piece which also had a tab to keep them secure. (its like this was on purpose!) In these I will later drill a hole for a 3mm LED, and feed the wires trough the side connection on the chassis.

ixoTVD3.jpg

Gluing it all together:

AFHPl5A.jpg

aikIyck.jpg

And voila!! here we are, The spacing between the flaps is not perfect, but again its my first time. I have one last shot of dry fitting them on the chassis:

ykwaMVf.jpg

I also started searching for greeblies, and cut off zip ties (like the pro's do it) to add to the cutouts of the ping po... thrusters later on!

cCZsRVJ.jpg

If these are to many pictures let me know... I'll try and tone it down a bit.

Lots of more to come, I'm enjoying this new hobby so much! Every day at work its thinking of things I can add and watching the clock slowly go forward until I can go home and sit in my spot ant continu...

-Hopli-

Re: Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First build) (pic heavy!)

I remember first joining here and being so intimidated by everyone elses work. Didn't even know about styrene. I was using cardboard or posterboard mostly. Now in these last 4 years I've made some pretty cool stuff thanks to everyone who helped me out with ideas and how to do things.
I'd say, that this being your first scratch build, you are off to a great start.
And so you've glued your fingers together....yep, welcome to the club. ha

Re: Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First build) (pic heavy!)

For some reason I can't see pictures... I read everything, but pictures did not pop up. Maybe it's a software thing cause I tried in a different browser and it still didn't work. Hopefully I can get it fixed to see the progress.

~ Prop Rocks

For some reason I can't see pictures... I read everything, but pictures did not pop up. Maybe it's a software thing cause I tried in a different browser and it still didn't work. Hopefully I can get it fixed to see the progress.

~ Prop Rocks
Working for me. Must be something on your end.

I do love a good scratch...
Nice work on the thrusters:thumbsup
back to masking...I have used Silly- Putty for odd shaped masking before,..when the paint dries just roll it in a ball again...
Continue,
PLEASE

I remember first joining here and being so intimidated by everyone elses work. Didn't even know about styrene. I was using cardboard or posterboard mostly. Now in these last 4 years I've made some pretty cool stuff thanks to everyone who helped me out with ideas and how to do things.
I'd say, that this being your first scratch build, you are off to a great start.
And so you've glued your fingers together....yep, welcome to the club. ha

Indeed, some of the people here are masters at this craft. Fingers are ok now, the ping pong ball doesn't take normal glue, so CA it is.

~ Prop Rocks

Hmm, strange. They are imgur.com embedded links, so maybe the website is blocked by you, or you have embedded pictures blocked? If you can't get it to work let me know, I'll try and upload them somewhere different.

I do love a good scratch...
Nice work on the thrusters:thumbsup
back to masking...I have used Silly- Putty for odd shaped masking before,..when the paint dries just roll it in a ball again...
Continue,
PLEASE

Thx! Thats a great tip! Especially for the engine since I already painted that thing and now its wedged between the chassis.

Working for me. Must be something on your end.

It was something on my end. I have a browser extension that was blocking it, but it didn't indicate that it was. When I restarted it, the pictures popped up.

Hoplitespear... no need to upload them to a different place... thanks for offering though! Man, it really looks incredible. Very detail focused... for your first time making a scratch built model it looks very impressive.

It was something on my end. I have a browser extension that was blocking it, but it didn't indicate that it was. When I restarted it, the pictures popped up.

Hoplitespear... no need to upload them to a different place... thanks for offering though! Man, it really looks incredible. Very detail focused... for your first time making a scratch built model it looks very impressive.

Ah!, glad that you got it working.

Small update:

Got greeblies up on the rear thrusters, not that easy as I thought. Just pasting stuff on doesn't really work... . Also really scared of over doing it. So here is the result.

It might change later on, but the fenders need to be installed first, they are gonna hide allot of the empty space.

Anyway also got it in primer!!!!!!

N1EDCCM.jpg

NjENgy3.jpg

K01tvSY.jpg

S6f85Lo.jpg

vmAKndJ.jpg

-Hopli

Looking really cool. Primer always makes it look better.

So I finished all 4 thrusters today, I altered the back ones a bit to look less steampunky and more modern. I'm happy with them, learned a ton already from altering these 4 ping-pong balls. Now its back to the actual kit, adding the mudguards etc, and then altering those to fit nicely around the thrusters.

bsjQVhs.jpg

GCSFTkG.jpg

wePh4Qx.jpg

More to come!

-Hopli

Hey guys! thanks for all the post likes!!!!

With my engines done I started cutting out and preparing the mudguard parts, and the air intake and Turbo of the base engine. And while I was doing that I started to dislike those two tiny sub engines I added to 'power' the thrusters....

So digging started in the spruces of the 4 Revell tank kits I have. In a cartoon a light bulb would appear above my head when I saw the spruce of the leopard... I HAD FOUND THE PERFECT ENGINE SHROUD to beef those sub engines to something bigger more sci-fi.

JN5h3Qn.jpg

Now, to practice this new art of kit bashing some more I went trough the manual of the Volvo and found an extra Turbo and pipes that weren't used on this particular model. Also the wheel stoppers (which I obviously won't need) fit the back perfectly and give nice air exit/inlet parts. Gears started turning and I wound up with this:

twmW6s8.jpg

And here it is on the chassis. The plan is to connect styrene tube from every yellowish circle on the side, to each thruster. (probably the brake cylinder that is already present). To give the illusion this beefy sci-fi engine powers the four thrusters.

On the back of it where the cannon would normally go, I plan to make some kind of hook system (or maybe a sphere system like TheNylonGag did) to hook on a trailer. Since this thing will fly, it needs to rotate on all axis or the connection would break. This means I won't be using the fifth wheel (the thing where a trailer hooks on IRL).

The fenders are dry fitted here to give me an idea what to do with them. They are mounted backwards to give the thruster clearance when tilted back. I might widen them. I will have to widen the front ones anyway since the thrusters are the width of double tires, and the front of a truck only has single tires.

Tell me what you think!!!

6c4b4Ei.jpg

GoYyiE0.jpg

5G8iwcC.jpg

more to come!

-Hopli

Hey! It's been a while... have any updates? I'd love to see any progress. From your previous post things are really shaping up.

~ Prop Rocks

Hey! It's been a while... have any updates? I'd love to see any progress. From your previous post things are really shaping up.

~ Prop Rocks

Hey, no updates yet, I did some work but nothing to significant. Its a project to sit on when I got time so not rushing it :D But no worries still working on it!

-Hopli

Hey guys,

Damn '3 weeks ago' :(. Starting to understand why most model threads have these gaps.

Anyway I got some more work done this weekend. I connected the front and back thrusters with the 'thruster engine' using styrene rod. Also added some shield and protection to the bottom of the engine.

Started working on the basic cab which will get some alterations for 'flight'. And added the battery box and rear fenders on the chassis.

Its not much but inspiration is comming back. Will work more on it tomorrow. For now some pics:

s24DuTe.jpg

xZ3kx3Q.jpg

Q9D4YBM.jpg

gEtpJd7.jpg

Not much special to see but progress nevertheless!

More comming soon (tomorrow???)

-Hopli

Hello everyone,

so no... it hasn't been 'tomorrow' but rather a bit later. But good news I have loads of progress to show you.

First off I wanted to finish the 'truster engine' on the back of the chassis. Things I did:

Added an air tank in the recessed space ad the back, added a 'coupler' for a trailer (which I might make later) Basically the trailer will attach with a half sphere to (some energy field) to the coupler on the truster engine.

I removed the stupid exhaust pipes and added an inlet for the 'turbo' with some netting.
Added a heat shield for the turbo and two work lights at the back.
And filled up the empty space at the back with a radiator type thing.

EWw4oPb.jpg

cAr0vL1.jpg

1fqWgpN.jpg

oNvubw1.jpg

cEawuAz.jpg

Next up I started to make the cab, I did not change allot to the interior, only adding a few extra monitors (touchscreen!!???) for the flight controls.

2BJ0J1l.jpg

tEO62Sc.jpg

Having done that, the back panel had some changes. Cut out a part to make a sort of 'maintenance pit' added tubes etc...

44Vo8if.jpg

UqyqZ4G.jpg

Also worked on a platform to get to the back of the cab mid air. Here you can also see i attached the side fenders and added some greeblies on those aswell.

kABECH1.jpg

knrU1eS.jpg

I wanted a comm relay type of thing on the roof. After gluing on the spoiler and cutout a half circle I added a dish and some antenna's.

r5nLtvj.jpg

9TKk1Mz.jpg

Now after building up the cab and looking at it from a distance, it looked kinda ... dull... I have put allot of detail on the truster engine on the back, but with the huge side fenders and cab panels it kinda changed back to a normal truck with an engine on its chassis.

So the plan was to start sticking the cab full with greeblies and flight tech! The issue tho is that I had to close up the cab with windows and all before I could glue on the roof...

Time for a painting intermission!!

First of... primer of the things i have. (this seemed a bit stupid in the end, the primer really slows the glue :( ).
Everything is dry fit on these pictures:

3vLViOU.jpg

1JOBuJJ.jpg

HBdLlyi.jpg

cMN76nv.jpg

iCIkt0a.jpg

Having done this it was time for the interior. Again not to much detail, it will hardly be seen (I will add interior lights tho).
chose for an orange trim:

USvp4mE.jpg

ThJA5g4.jpg

NGcwLAK.jpg

Created a bed sheet and cushion from a piece of melted styrene... and a rock! (didn't find any other cushion like shape)

iRjJXOl.jpg

Ws2VkrT.jpg

SpfKSvb.jpg

D1siNER.jpg

Time for lights!

Salvaged my daughter's magic wand...

WSfKfOi.jpg

LAQjk7a.jpg

Wires trough the air intake shaft:

ueZ1WW9.jpg

uDGgbyG.jpg

The result: (looks better in real life)

ufSL1tt.jpg

tnW5CAi.jpg

Ya0h3gI.jpg

So this is where I am at.
Short recap:

-Truster engine near finished.
-Interior finished.
-Cab glued together.

With this done I am ready to start gluing up the grille, bumper and side panels with more greeblies binding the whole thing together.

This is how I left it in my tiny workshop:

PFUAhxJ.jpg

Cya soon!!!

-Hopli

EDIT:

quick one with trusters:

udiuSyJ.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First build) (pic hvy, upd 9

A very nice project! You've put quite some thought into how the tech should work in-universe, and it shows. :cool

Two things that stand out for me though; the inside of the cab, especially the rear wall could do with a poster or two. You know truckers, so you know the type of posters I mean. :D

Secondly, the shelves you put up as fender extensions on the sides of the cab just don't do it for me. They look like, well, shelves. When you mentioned you would be widening the fenders, I thought you would be adding things like those aftermarket black plastic trims people put on their hatchbacks, back in the eighties and nineties, which would suit this model perfectly.

So something like that would look much better. but failing that, how about changing the static (book)shelves you have there now into movable control surfaces? Like rudders on a plane. That could actually emphasize the retrofitting of the truck.

Other than that, this is one cracking build, and I can't wait to see the end-result.

Keep it up! :)

Re: Volvo FH16 - Sci-Fi Retrofit kitbash/scratch build. (First build) (pic hvy, upd 9

A very nice project! You've put quite some thought into how the tech should work in-universe, and it shows. :cool

Two things that stand out for me though; the inside of the cab, especially the rear wall could do with a poster or two. You know truckers, so you know the type of posters I mean. :D

Secondly, the shelves you put up as fender extensions on the sides of the cab just don't do it for me. They look like, well, shelves. When you mentioned you would be widening the fenders, I thought you would be adding things like those aftermarket black plastic trims people put on their hatchbacks, back in the eighties and nineties, which would suit this model perfectly.

So something like that would look much better. but failing that, how about changing the static (book)shelves you have there now into movable control surfaces? Like rudders on a plane. That could actually emphasize the retrofitting of the truck.

Other than that, this is one cracking build, and I can't wait to see the end-result.

Keep it up! :)

Thank you for your kind words and feedback!

About the posters, my wife had the same idea actually but i didn't bother since (even with interior lights) you can hardly see the back of the cab unless you press your eye ball against the plastic of the windscreen. I might go more in detail in future projects. But yes, the cab should be more detailed!

As for the 'shelves' These are actually not the things i meant by fender extensions. The fender extensions are the 'air intake' like things you see glued flat against them. And i extended them aso near the bottom with a strip.

The 'shelves' are the start of a gangway, to get to the back of the truck mid-air for de-coupling and coupling trailers that dock on a high tower of a factory for example.

Since the cab is all glued shut, I was finally able to work on them (the gangway) a bit more, and completing the overall look. Sadly tho, it isn't at all possible to tilt the cab over to check the engine, the restrictions on the bumper are too narrow, and together with the bullbar(still to be added) it won't be possible at all. I don't mind tho, since it will be a standing piece.

I do however built everything keeping in mind it should be able to tilt for mechanics to work on.

Here is some more progress: (you can also see the details i started adding to the passenger side to offset the gangway.

0fBYsMs.jpg

ef4UHk2.jpg

HSgE44q.jpg

2Lo3tRM.jpg

87nUORI.jpg

9ZA4DWU.jpg

More to follow soon!

-Hopli

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back