New Information on ANH Graflex D-ring - Roger Christian Interview

MasterJedi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys! I had the incredible opportunity to give Roger Christian an interview via email yesterday. He revealed previously unknown information about the screw that was used to hold the D-ring on, among other interesting things.

Here is the interview:

1. You've said in multiple interviews, that when making Luke's lightsaber from A New Hope, you screwed in the D-ring on the bottom. Do you remember what kind of screw that was? Slotted or Phillips? Flat Head or Pan Head? Did you take the screw out of anything to be used for the D-ring?

RC: I had hired a prop maker Roger Shaw to help make special props for A New Hope. As I made each lightsaber for Luke form scrap and junk based on the grafted in my office, the sabres are all different. They were not manufactured in a normal way because the budget was so low. I gave each one to Roger Shaw to add the D Ring as he had the tools in his small workshop. My first ones I made, about 5 in all had more like a round head with a square holes. The confusion lies in collectors who base all the versions on one model but they varies like everything I made on Star Wars I used whatever I could lay my hands on.

2. There is a lot of debate over which model of Graflex 3-cell was used in ANH. The red button says it was a newer model, but the glass eye says it was an older model. Do you remember ever changing those pieces out to fit the look of the prop better?

RC: No, I used exactly the grafted as I found it, with both red button and glass button, they really appealed to me as a great look for the lightsaber.

3. The T tracks for the grips are very interesting. Although they are certainly black on the saber, the Gary Kurtz lightsaber that was sold to Ripleys a while back looked like it had brown grips that were painted black. Do you remember if the T tracks used on the Graflex were brown & painted, or did they simply come black?

RC: They were black. The 1st two sabres I made, I used the T Strip from the stormtroopers blaster left over and then ran out and used a very similar kind of t track, again in Black. The Ripleys is presumed mine but its not, its from Empire Strikes Back and they didn't use my bubble strip in the clip, some piece of circuit board that I'd never have used, as not suitable for a Jedi weapon in my eyes. Plus yes looks like they painted the stripes black. Lazy work to me.

And now I'm on the lookout for a vintage Robertson screw, haha.

-Daniel Tesenair

Has anyone ever asked Roger of they would have snagged any of the d rings of of a graflex case?

Has anyone ever asked Roger of they would have snagged any of the d rings of of a graflex case?

Yes, I believe he has been asked the source of the D-Rings and has said that they were just stock parts (which is why I roll my eyes constantly at people demolishing Graflex cases).

Yes, I believe he has been asked the source of the D-Rings and has said that they were just stock parts (which is why I roll my eyes constantly at people demolishing Graflex cases).

There are regular run-of-the-mill Tandy Drings all over ANH props and costumes, I don’t get anyone who thinks they drilled out and re-formed Graflex camera case Drings to use on lightsabers either.

Stock parts, on hand, surplus Drings.

OMG im so sick of people and their "vintage builds". they spend stupid amount of money for all the parts they "think" are correct because some off the cuff J.A. did his build that way so all the others follow suit. then they use all those accurate parts to build something THAT WAS NEVER ON SCREEN !!!
all the lights and sounds with blinky things and chrystals…....
I want 100% accurate parts...so I can build a 0 accurate prop

:facepalm

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to use a vintage Graflex case Dring on their build, live and let live. If someone wants to pull a Dring off an old camera case, sure, go ahead, it's not hurting anyone.

But I don't agree that the prop makers back in the day spent extra money at a camera shop to purchase a Graflex case just to have to drill out the Dring and take the time to fold it over and flatten it out just to use it on a Lightsaber prop build.

It's more believable that they used one of the many, many already formed, ready to go, cheap as hell, Tandy style Drings that they probably had hundreds of available at their fingertips in the prop/costume/workshop instead.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to use a vintage Graflex case Dring on their build, live and let live. If someone wants to pull a Dring off an old camera case, sure, go ahead, it's not hurting anyone.

But I don't agree that the prop makers back in the day spent extra money at a camera shop to purchase a Graflex case just to have to drill out the Dring and take the time to fold it over and flatten it out just to use it on a Lightsaber prop build.

It's more believable that they used one of the many, many already formed, ready to go, cheap as hell, Tandy style Drings that they probably had hundreds of available at their fingertips in the prop/costume/workshop instead.

same goes for many other prop parts. people go to great extent to make some thing the prop guys would have never taken that much time to make

I honestly always thought people were trying to replicate the situation / junk aspect - considering they may have taken a D ring off the case that the camera parts could have come with.

same goes for many other prop parts. people go to great extent to make some thing the prop guys would have never taken that much time to make

The same goes for the models built by ILM: not much time was allowed for the model maker crew to build ships (and they never thought that, one day, fans would ask questions about this and that greeblie)...the fact that the fans go to such levels of research to find each and every pieces that were affixed originally on those models speaks volume!...same with the light sabers;)

I honestly always thought people were trying to replicate the situation / junk aspect - considering they may have taken a D ring off the case that the camera parts could have come with.
I couldn't agree more. If I'm using a vintage Graflex because it's vintage, I'd like to make everything else vintage. We have no idea where the D-ring came from, but it's likely they would have had a Graflex case or 2 around Not to mention the curve of the ring itself matches the one Roy makes.

I think all vintage builds are, like you said, about replicating the junk aspect, as well as using parts that would have existed back when they made the props in the first place.

I talked to one of the prop guys from ROTJ - he told me he helped build the super star destroyer in Jedi (same guy who built the Delorian time machine) I waited til after he gave his talk, picture of Vader ROTJ MOM saber in hand, to ask if he remembered ANYTHING about the props.

He laughed.

"It's been 35 years and we were picking parts from bins that just looked right... Even if I knew back then what it was from, I would never remember now"

Has roger ever mentioned anything about having an original I’m storage before?this just seams a little strange.ive never heard him mention about having an original. Not to mention he probly has been asked a million times about the d ring and screw/rivit holding it on.you would think he would say I got an original I’ll go look and see exactly what I used.it just seems strange that a few months after Gary Kurtz supposed screen used saber sells for almost half a million dollars all of the sudden he has an original too that’s beem in storage.hell I could be wrong,I hope I am.maybe he has mentioned it before and I just didn’t see or read about it. Either way this is still an amazing prop and I’d literally give my left you no what to own it,possibly the right one too.even if it is a replica it’s a replica made by the guy who did the original. I recently got a miniature atat that charlie baley made from the original molds,it’s my grail,I look at it not as a replica but more of an actual prop that just wasn’t on screen.

Has roger ever mentioned anything about having an original I’m storage before?this just seams a little strange.ive never heard him mention about having an original. Not to mention he probly has been asked a million times about the d ring and screw/rivit holding it on.you would think he would say I got an original I’ll go look and see exactly what I used.it just seems strange that a few months after Gary Kurtz supposed screen used saber sells for almost half a million dollars all of the sudden he has an original too that’s beem in storage.hell I could be wrong,I hope I am.maybe he has mentioned it before and I just didn’t see or read about it. Either way this is still an amazing prop and I’d literally give my left you no what to own it,possibly the right one too.even if it is a replica it’s a replica made by the guy who did the original. I recently got a miniature atat that charlie baley made from the original molds,it’s my grail,I look at it not as a replica but more of an actual prop that just wasn’t on screen.

Maybe not publicly, but he did mention it to me in passing when we chatted last year. And this was before the Ripley purchase. When I saw pics of the PIH display at SDCC, I messaged him and asked him if that was the original he had in storage and he confirmed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I once asked Roger if the d-ring holders came off a camera case and he said no. He said he fished it out of Roger Shaw's toolbox. Besides, in all his accounts of his finding of the flashguns in Brunning's, he always said they were stored in dusty boxes and the flashguns inside those boxes were wrapped in tissue paper.

Last edited:

This plays into it for sure.

The biggest reason the d rings from the graflex cases have been so intriguing, to me at least, is the path various members of the community went through in getting to that hypothesis.

I like many started off with a modern Tandy d ring on my first ANH gralfex, they look the part, company has been around for ages, hey I bet a prop maker would have a pile of these on hand. In all likelihood this is exactly the case.
I think a lot of us on here have a similar approach in that first try and identify a modern equivalent, then work back to the era the movie said prop was built in and see if there isn't something that fits.
Something like a d ring is tough and you end up looking at old things that have d rings on them from 1977 and prior.
For the longest time nothing resembling the unique shape of the ANH d ring had been found which led to members like sym Cha and Roy Gisling working off of the reference photos to produce at least a modern replica with the right profile.
Once this had happened low and behold the gralfex case. Some gralfex camera cases have a d ring on them that when removed and the bracket folded over almost perfectly match Roy's d ring. What a find.
I've still yet to see another source for vintage d ring that comes as close or closer to the ANH graflex and rather than use a modern piece that doesn't match the profile I for one like having a vintage part that came off of a case made by the same company as the flash itself.
The thing I've always wanted to know is when Roger said in an interview that he found a "box of antiquie camera flashguns" could that have been a graflex camera case. Probably not, it's just so interesting the only vintage part that matches closely can be found on the case.

Over the years, I'd say that there have been a number of leads for d-rings. I have always been particularly intrigued by this d-ring because not only does the shape of the ring look good but the clip more closely resembles the one we see in the toe picture than the ones we see on Graflex cases -- the clips on the Graflex cases always seem slightly narrow to my eye. So, like everyone pretty much agrees, it could have been anything.

D2.jpg

I talked to one of the prop guys from ROTJ - he told me he helped build the super star destroyer in Jedi (same guy who built the Delorian time machine) I waited til after he gave his talk, picture of Vader ROTJ MOM saber in hand, to ask if he remembered ANYTHING about the props.

He laughed.

"It's been 35 years and we were picking parts from bins that just looked right... Even if I knew back then what it was from, I would never remember now"

I got excited because I just began this project with next to no parts. Then I sat back, sobered, and understood.

I got excited because I just began this project with next to no parts. Then I sat back, sobered, and understood.

I’m all for pulling parts. My esb saber is all exacted screws. Pretty sure that’s not actually what they used, but I like the vintage feel of it (even if just in my head)

OMG im so sick of people and their "vintage builds". they spend stupid amount of money for all the parts they "think" are correct because some off the cuff J.A. did his build that way so all the others follow suit. then they use all those accurate parts to build something THAT WAS NEVER ON SCREEN !!!
all the lights and sounds with blinky things and chrystals…....
I want 100% accurate parts...so I can build a 0 accurate prop

:facepalm

hmmmm...what does this mean with regards to the dashcam in my macros. Are YOU judging me Jerry??? :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back