SDCC 2018 Profiles in History Luke Skywalker ANH Graflex

kalkamel

Master Member
So this is now actively discussed in the Graflex Addicts FB group and I thought I'd start a discussion here as well. Dcarty came across an article ( I'm guessing its this one: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/20/profiles-history-auctions-phasers-stormtroopers-sdcc/) which spotlights Profiles in History's display at the San Diego Comic Con currently taking place, and one item of interest is this, a production used Luke Skywalker lightsaber from A New Hope.
DieQ5zjU0AAh5jI.jpg

The initial response from the group was that this was another one of those Graflex ala Kurtz, but dcarty also noticed from the article that this item was consigned to PIH by Roger Christian and that piqued my curiosity. At first I thought this was the one he carried around for cons and interviews (which we know to be a vintage with replica accessories) but this one looks different. There's no chrome tape covering the Graflex logo and the tracks are somewhat angled on some ends while also not on the others (the tracks on his personal one were not angled). Also, Roger mentioned this in a conversation with me last year:

"I finally managed to get one of my originals from my storage lockbox, I made a few after the 1st two I sent to Tunisia. I had run out of the stormtroopers strips used for the 1st 2, so used what I could that matched, no-one ever knew they all looked the same."

So I thought, could this PIH Graflex be that one? I messaged him and this was his reply.

Screenshot_20180722-014017_Messenger.jpg

If this is truly a production built saber from ANH, then this is the first time we get to see the d-ring assembly and t-tracks from a production used prop. Roger further added "It’s still magical when held and a lot more genuine than those sold by Gary Kurtz for large sums. Sad to let it go but progress matters... I want to bring back the power of the original force"

I found more pictures of the saber on display at SDCC:
37633081_10217173721114151_2223143770411499520_o.jpgSan-Diego-Comic-Con-International-2018-Movie-Props-Costumes-TV-Memorabilia-T-0062.jpgSan-Diego-Comic-Con-International-2018-Movie-Props-Costumes-TV-Memorabilia-T-0068.jpgSan-Diego-Comic-Con-International-2018-Movie-Props-Costumes-TV-Memorabilia-T-0064.jpg

From what I can tell, the bottom tube has a Graflex Inc stamping and the glass eye is an Inc-style as well. The bubbles appear to have been trimmed down in thickness too, as the lever is able to close all the way down. The d-ring clip looks more rounded as well, rather than straight sides with a rounded top, and it looks a tad smaller than what we've been using. The way it's attached is also different from what we're used to.

Another member also managed to get a reply from Roger and it was revealed that he had indeed used a screw to attach the d-ring holder (as he told me previously) but also that the screw had a square hole, what another member called a Robertson variety.

But until now, I'm unable to find a straight on view of the bottom which would show the actual profile of the t-tracks. Does it look like the exact ones used for ESB to you guys?

Exciting times for Graflex fans.

Attachments

• San-Diego-Comic-Con-International-2018-Movie-Props-Costumes-TV-Memorabilia-T-0063.jpg
    San-Diego-Comic-Con-International-2018-Movie-Props-Costumes-TV-Memorabilia-T-0063.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 837
Hmm.

Almost looks like he had an old Graflex in storage, and possibly used some modern parts to convert it.

The t tracks don't look to have the accurate profile, though he does say that he found something close. They remind me of saberfreak tracks, but in black.

The d ring looks like a modern variety, run of the mill example. And it's mounted slap in the middle of the bottom, which doesn't look all that terribly refined.

Still, it's cool that he made it!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

He's saying this one was made for ANH, different from the newer ones he made when doing his press tours over the last couple years.

He's saying this one was made for ANH, different from the newer ones he made when doing his press tours over the last couple years.

That's right. This is the saber he brings to conventions and media appearances (I think he mentioned those are Gino's tracks):
12525503_770578976404937_6379436653074971646_o.jpg12466124_770579586404876_2868356858400279094_o.jpg12484740_770579679738200_8851439935322633926_o.jpg

As you can see, there are diffences from the PIH display.

Hmm.

Almost looks like he had an old Graflex in storage, and possibly used some modern parts to convert it.

The t tracks don't look to have the accurate profile, though he does say that he found something close. They remind me of saberfreak tracks, but in black.

The d ring looks like a modern variety, run of the mill example. And it's mounted slap in the middle of the bottom, which doesn't look all that terribly refined.

Still, it's cool that he made it!

Dann, when you say the t-tracks don't have the accurate profile, are you basing that on the ones used for the ESB Ranch saber and the ROTJ Fett EE3? My point is the ANH ones may have used different tracks as Roger didn't procure the parts for ESB (he was busy doing his own film, Black Angel) so there is a possibility that the tracks are different.

I'm quite happy with my ANH Graflex as it currently is, thank you very much.:lol

Not gonna chance my clumsy ass trying to pop the rivet out the bottom for a domed allen screw and mess the whole thing up.:p

Dann, when you say the t-tracks don't have the accurate profile, are you basing that on the ones used for the ESB Ranch saber and the ROTJ Fett EE3? My point is the ANH ones may have used different tracks as Roger didn't procure the parts for ESB (he was busy doing his own film, Black Angel) so there is a possibility that the tracks are different.
Disregard what I said about the t track. Had another look at it and I think I was thrown off by the way he finished the ends. I'm not used to seeing them shaped that way.

Here's mine, I'm just too accustomed to the ends of the tracks looking like this.
fb5c043b023148a14b34480878762ddf.jpg
2fa6a435f256ba28e8b645588a6f36b0.jpg

Last edited:
"I finally managed to get one of my originals from my storage lockbox, I made a few after the 1st two I sent to Tunisia. I had run out of the stormtroopers strips used for the 1st 2, so used what I could that matched, no-one ever knew they all looked the same."

Made for production, not used in filming, is that correct? Still very cool.

Oops, sorry I meant the PIH one - something over the top about the weathering on the track.
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I noticed that as well. Looks like he sanded the corners of the ends. I wonder if they were cut long ago or if he cut them recently.

It's definitely very cool that he built it, I'm just not a huge fan of the way this particular one is put together. Almost looks kinda quick and dirty, you know? The placement of the d ring REALLY bugs me.

Is that actually a Robertson screw on the D-ring? That'd be really surprising to me. Robertsons, or "square recess" screws are extremely common in Canada, mainly because they're a brilliant design that never strip and easy to use one-handed. But they never caught on outside Canada primarily due to licensing issues, so it'd seem really surprising to me if a movie prop built in Britain in the mid 1970s would have a Robertson.

Also it looks more hexagonal in those photos than square - anyone have a sharper photo? :)

That honestly looks like a Yoda's House or Blast Tech D ring kit with an allen socket and nut on the inside.

He could have sourced a very generic part though...

That honestly looks like a Yoda's House or Blast Tech D ring kit with an allen socket and nut on the inside.

He could have sourced a very generic part though...

also the T track... they look roughed up with sandpaper and a dremel on purpose. If they're hard plastic, they were hot-knifed instead of using a saw, check out the ends,

So is the Roger Christian Luke ANH lightsaber pictures posted above definitive proof that the Manufactured By Graflex Inc. variation was used for the Luke ANH lightsaber prop instead of the Folmer Graflex variation? Or that both where used for ANH?

Dude...there will never be a way to know...he said many times that he grabbed a box of flashes from a camera shop. I am sure they were a totally random selection.

So is the Roger Christian Luke ANH lightsaber pictures posted above definitive proof that the Manufactured By Graflex Inc. variation was used for the Luke ANH lightsaber prop instead of the Folmer Graflex variation? Or that both where used for ANH?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back