Twin Peaks - Red Room Saturn Lamp

abouttreefitty

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, but I finally registered. I am hoping to get suggestions regarding possibly painting my clear Saturn lamp to match the green of the lamp as seen in Twin Peaks.

Here's mine. I had originally thought it was the 1939 World's Fair Saturn lamp, but after further research I believe it is the Sarsaparilla reproduction:

oPPFn3f.jpg

And here is what I'm aiming for:

twin-peaks-episode-1.jpg

cooper-laura-palmer-loggia-nera-twin-peaks-1024x590.jpg

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to things like this, so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Attachments

• oPPFn3f.jpg
    oPPFn3f.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 287
I have a few questions.
1. Are the stars painted onto the plastic
2. Is it even plastic
3. Have you tried changing the bulb to a green bulb and seeing the effect from that?

The lamp is made of glass, and the stars are painted on. I’ve thought about trying a colored bulb, but I’d like it to match colors even when it’s not turned on.

The lamp is made of glass, and the stars are painted on. I’ve thought about trying a colored bulb, but I’d like it to match colors even when it’s not turned on.

Would it be possible to use paint stripper to remove the stars without damaging the actual glass, and then maybe use translucent green paint on the inside paired with a green bulb?

Alternately, sell this one and put the funds towards the genuine article. I suspect it will be really hard to get a satisfactory effect with paint and lights.

I've painted one of these.... no problem. Painting the inside is a bad idea... wont look right.

A real green one can set you back several thousand dollars....

IMG_1284.jpg

It bounces light the same way as the original...

Skærmbillede 2018-07-23 12.42.38.png

Last edited:
This is what I did...

1. Disassemble the lamp, and remove the starts with acetone and sandpaper (careful, use grit 800-1000)

2. Degrease everything THOROUGHLY

3. Find a water based glass paint in the right color. Most of them can be mixed to the exact color. Varies what is available in different countries. I went with one similar to the one below.

4. For painting the outside there are two possibilities: Airbrush or regular brush. Either way you need to experiment with the right consistency of the paint. A more fluid paint will give a more even look, but will also run more easily. Add a tiny bit of water at a time to get the right viscosity. If you decide on the brush (I did), use a ultra fine broad brush. Experiment to get a consistant look. Will take a few times. It's easy to remove the paint with acetone if you make mistakes etc.

5. Get a frosting spray for glass and re-frost the glass

6. Re-assemble and done!

Skærmbillede 2018-07-23 21.26.50.pngfrosted-clear-rust-oleum-specialty-craft-spray-paint-1903830-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
It took me a while to get around to this, but I finally worked up the courage to disassemble the lamp and repaint it. I started by using acetone to remove the blue stars, and then used Goo Gone to degrease the glass. I attempted to paint it using the Marabu paint that was recommended, but I struggled with getting a good consistency.

I wound up trying this Krylon spray paint:
Krylon-Stained-Glass-Spray-Paint-Translucent-115oz.jpg

I had pretty good success with it. The can started to clog near the end, and it spitted some paint on my final coat. I'll probably remove the paint and try it again some time down the road, but for now I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help!

ae9trRU.jpg

lBfA7Xb.jpg

di4jIiR.jpg

bbWkeqL.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back