Stormbreaker 1:1 scale foam build

Thorlief Golmen

At first I didn't really like the idea of replacing Mjolnir ... But after seeing STORMBREAKER in action I fell in love with the axe/hammer hybrid.

It is a devastating weapon and one worthy of building.

I've seen many builds and locations that sell 3D printed versions ... All look great but a lot that I have seen are either not true 1:1 scale or have a curved handle with rope wraps on mostly because of the HOT TOYS early release figure and such used as reference images.

With the film now out there are a lot more reference images out there and I wanted to build as close as I could a true replica.

Luckily thanks to SKS Props we have access to a great step by step guide and video tutorial which I know will really help with this build.

i have used a reference image I found to be able to create a 1:1 scaled template, and trust me STORMBREAKER is BIG!

I'll be collecting materials and starting this build soon, so watch this space.

here are the reference images I will be working from if they help anyone else:

This is the image I used to create the template, I scaled the image to exactly 6ft 2 which is how tall I am and according to Google so is Chris Hemsworth. (I thought he was 6ft 4 anyway what's two inches...)

image.jpeg

And here are are the other reference images I will be working from and the printed template to give you an idea of its size!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Update:

Some parts have arrived...still waiting on others...also been watching SKS props awesome video tutorial to prep for this...I have a con end of September and I'm looking to get this finished by then...

Update:

Some parts have arrived...still waiting on others...also been watching SKS props awesome video tutorial to prep for this...I have a con end of September and I'm looking to get this finished by then...
I watched that video so many times I had the music in my head at work.... its such a great and informative tutorial. Cant wait to see yours.

I watched that video so many times I had the music in my head at work.... its such a great and informative tutorial. Cant wait to see yours.

haha I had the music going through my head all last night...I'm sure I dreamt of that music...but yeh agree awesome video! Going to really help...

Updates...all supplies and materials have arrived (well almost I just need to pop the DIY store and get paint to go over the PlastiDip) but otherwise I am ready to get this bad boy built!!!

more watching of the awesome SKS props video tutorial...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And yes that is the 2" thick EVA foam from TNT cosplay supplies (again thanks SKS) a feit quite tricky as they don't deliver to the UK...but I managed it...

So on with the build...

Update:

hammer/axe is built...not too concerned with the centre pedestal as it is going to be covered in vines...FYI this is the first time I've ever tried anything this big, so far I am happy with how it is going...

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Its ts not perfect but I'm hoping a few layers of PlastiDip will cover any imperfections as well as painting...

Looks really good! Can’t wait to see it finished. Still researching on how I’m going to do mine. Like you I don’t have much experience or tools, but I’m going to give it a go soon.

I'm hoping the paint phase will cover up any unsmooth areas....but yeah look up SKS props...he has a thread on here for his build and his own website...I am literally following his tutorial he gives a break down of materials as well...wouldn't be doing without it...

It's defo going to be a beast when I'm finished!

Last edited:
Update!

added some detail to the axe head...and balanced out the hammer head...

13ADEAC9-F6BB-4133-98CD-FC704BE929B2.jpegDE2C6DC2-B2D6-4071-91AB-E13233BA7C67.jpeg502E24C5-2465-40BF-9777-07126A755EED.jpeg429B5F2A-223C-4231-82D1-4E3C5D576564.jpegF4B20B48-947D-4B62-ACFA-BB9B6CBF633A.jpeg

As as I said it is a beast! So next will be covering the handle in a thin layer of foam, building the vines around the head and then burning into the foam to give it the wood feel, found some more reference pictures which will help!

787D9ECA-A23B-4D2C-9020-9920A6DC4BA3.jpeg1A7BE4A6-D9F5-45C2-9F6A-3D09802D8A23.jpeg

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...rtainment-friday-part-3-thor-costume-exhibit/

I didn't find that one but check this one out! Scroll down to see Stormbreaker up close!

Man, I wish that had existed when I did my build! That's some real gold compared to the fuzzy movie theater pictures I was using...

- - - Updated - - -

If it's helpful at all, here's some pics from my build. Not super screen-accurate, but I like it. And since it's just for me, that's all that matters ;)

I had no idea what to do for the handle before I came across SKS Props' build. That video came out as I was working on mine, and I decided to do it that way. Worked pretty well!

https://flic.kr/p/2aZXVUC

Man, I wish that had existed when I did my build! That's some real gold compared to the fuzzy movie theater pictures I was using...

- - - Updated - - -

If it's helpful at all, here's some pics from my build. Not super screen-accurate, but I like it. And since it's just for me, that's all that matters ;)

I had no idea what to do for the handle before I came across SKS Props' build. That video came out as I was working on mine, and I decided to do it that way. Worked pretty well!

https://flic.kr/p/2aZXVUC

Yours looks great! I totally agree no one without 3D printing can be 100% accurate but we can get close!

ive started the next phase but have run out of hot glue! So it’ll be a trip to the store tomorrow for me...

- - - Updated - - -

Update!

Handle is going on...once all placed I’ll Dremel the foam down to be more rounded and wood like!

To to make the top and bottom of the wooden arm/handle I’ve got modelling clay! Going to bulk them out abit and it’ll add abit if weight to the head...using clay will be a lot easier to get a more accurate looking look to the vines and butt if the handle I hope...

31464845-1F08-4020-B930-51B11A933A9E.jpeg195FB26F-6F66-40C1-B558-83BA1FF69C0A.jpeg75858EEC-1103-4AA1-881C-6A94C4E1E032.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back