James Gunn fired from GOTG 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being cutting edge or shock joking is one thing, but there are lines you don't cross without consequences. Jokes about pedophilia is one. It goes beyond bad judgement or bad taste. It's indefensible.

He never defended it. No one has.

People are defending him because he’s already talked about it publicly 6 years ago, apologized, and has changed since.

https://www.glaad.org/blog/director-james-gunn-apologizes-anti-gay-and-sexist-comments-blog-post

and Disney acts unaware.

So I guess if you go by this forum, you can never grow, never be forgiven.

So what’s the point?

though there are an INSANE amount of Ironman fans here, so they better be cool with crying for RDJ’a head next.

I would second the vote for Taika Waititi. Thor Ragnarok unseated GotG as the funniest movie in the MCU for me and I think he'd be a brilliant choice to replace Gunn.

I just wonder what the outcome would've been if the old tweets had been primarily racist or misogynistic, or gay-bashing in nature.

Last edited:
Well you have to judge by their current actions and how the people around him speak.

Show me people who know and work with him who are coming out to slam this “horrible man”. They aren’t... because he’s well loved with those who know him.

I’ve followed him since Guardians and dude is so genuine... I changed my perspective on who I thought he was.

Sorry, but a group of Hollywood insiders coming out to wrap their arms around someone like Gunn doesnt fill me with the greatest of belief in the value of their motivations. The way Gunn and others in that community have jumped on the toxic Star Wars fans bandwagon have displayed that. And before it is raised, Weinstein is a completely different scenario.

Sorry, but a group of Hollywood insiders coming out to wrap their arms around someone like Gunn doesnt fill me with the greatest of belief in the value of their motivations. The way Gunn and others in that community have jumped on the toxic Star Wars fans bandwagon have displayed that. And before it is raised, Weinstein is a completely different scenario.

Well if the only opinion matters to you is the court of public opinion... then why even question anything?

You can't trust him

His actions of the last ten years.

The people who work closely with him.

Lifelong friends.

But you can look at Mike Cernovic and crew's agenda to dig up 10 year old tweets to get him fired (because Gunn was sticking his neck out for someone else) and deem him worthless for the rest of eternity.

Well sir, that's a terrible way to look at things. And really, kinda sad.

I literally have no idea why you give a penny to the entertainment industry... You come across like you absolutely hate it.

Just my opinion, but I think this thread - should it remain open - is probably best served moving away from our opinions on his firing but rather toward its possible effects on the MCU and GotG going forward.
Nudge nudge.

Just my opinion, but I think this thread - should it remain open - is probably best served moving away from our opinions on his firing but rather toward its possible effects on the MCU and GotG going forward.
Nudge nudge.

I suspect IF the direction of discussion goes in that suggested direction, then it could stay open, but..... I am betting the mods will clean up the thread and delete much of the arguments. And if the discussion does not go in the suggested direction, I expect they will lock it and/or delete it.

Well if the only opinion matters to you is the court of public opinion... then why even question anything?

You can't trust him

His actions of the last ten years.

The people who work closely with him.

Lifelong friends.

But you can look at Mike Cernovic and crew's agenda to dig up 10 year old tweets to get him fired (because Gunn was sticking his neck out for someone else) and deem him worthless for the rest of eternity.

Well sir, that's a terrible way to look at things. And really, kinda sad.

I literally have no idea why you give a penny to the entertainment industry... You come across like you absolutely hate it.

Hey, I`m focusing strictly on the nature of the disgusting tweets. Just because I dont have that much faith in many of the people who make fortunes off the business and wouldnt use them as a yardstick in how I see life does not mean I hate it. I actually think your attitude to this whole thing is really sad.

ADDITION

I`ve worked in the entertainment industry all my adult life so I dont need some random guy from a prop site telling me that I hate it just because I dont agree with the stuff he say`s and being aware of how the most organised and weaponized part of that community in the world works. if it wasnt for the fear of being banned I`d tell you what I really think.

Last edited:
Hey, I`m focusing strictly on the nature of the disgusting tweets. Just because I dont have that much faith in many of the people who make fortunes off the business and wouldnt use them as a yardstick in how I see life does not mean I hate it. I actually think your attitude to this whole thing is really sad.

Robin Williams was known for taking off his clothes in front of female costars, grabbing their breasts, grinding on them, and all sorts of behaviors that in today's climate would get him immediately shunned. On Whose Line Is It Anyway, on national television, he made a joke about "get off me grandma, I'm done now."

But he's revered, and his off-color brand of humor is celebrated.

I'm not trying to put Gunn at the same level of Williams... but the point is, comedy tends to have a wide latitude in regards to what's acceptable. And that latitude can be greater or smaller depending on the public perception of the performer in question.

Gunn's past Twitter life is absolutely in poor taste. It's not something I find funny at all. But I do understand the "performance" nature of it. It's possible to recognize this as someone looking to create a reaction, versus someone who truly embodies these things. Many of his most offensive tweets, for example, were in the form of retweeting other people and spoofing them by misquoting them in an offensive way (exploiting the way Twitter used to handle retweets).

Whether or not people agree or disagree with his removal from Disney is one thing. His tweets were highly offensive - by design -- there's no disputing that. So the consequences of that are what they are. Personally, I think it's an over-correction on the part of Disney, because they absolutely knew what his past was and they are trying to save their asses in the midst of a merger with a company on the political side currently trying discredit Gunn. But I can also see the point of the people who feel his previous behavior warrants his dismissal.

But there are people in this very thread who are putting him on the same level as actual pedophiles. It baffles me that the notion of performance art, no matter how poorly executed, can fly over the heads of what I assume to be otherwise intelligent people.

If people who obviously aren't racists or misogynists have lost jobs over tweets that idiots somehow misconstrue as that, then the firing of Gunn had to happen. I'm patiently waiting for the pendulum to swing back the other way, where people don't get publicly humiliated for saying something stupid, or learn not to do it in the first place.

I used to really enjoy Gunn, but I think he's just an ass now, thanks to twitter. I unfollowed him quite some time ago. He called for the heads of others, and for their livelihoods to be taken away, so now he's getting a dose of the same medicine.

Family guy is a tv show and is addressed as rated M. Gun’s twitter and social media isn’t. Maybe if he had changed it to a warning and you have to click ok 1st before viewing his post. That might of went a long way before hand if he is truly just making crazy bad jokes. Kinda how some adult naughty actress twitters are set up.

I!ll say Taika Waititi. While I don’t see enough in his work to postulate him as the go-to guy for the MCU generally as I’ve seen others propose in various threads, I did watch Thor: Ragnarok again today and was struck by how that film felt most like GOTG of all the MCU films - not only the humor but also the “interplanetary” setting, which wasn’t really done much outside GOTG up until very recently. So I think he’d be a good fit for GOTG 3 to keep it tonally consistent with the prior films.

M

I agree with your post. I would also like to see more team-ups between the Guardians and Thor. I would even be ok if Thor joined the group.

Robin Williams was known for taking off his clothes in front of female costars, grabbing their breasts, grinding on them, and all sorts of behaviors that in today's climate would get him immediately shunned. On Whose Line Is It Anyway, on national television, he made a joke about "get off me grandma, I'm done now."

But he's revered, and his off-color brand of humor is celebrated.

I'm not trying to put Gunn at the same level of Williams... but the point is, comedy tends to have a wide latitude in regards to what's acceptable. And that latitude can be greater or smaller depending on the public perception of the performer in question.

Gunn's past Twitter life is absolutely in poor taste. It's not something I find funny at all. But I do understand the "performance" nature of it. It's possible to recognize this as someone looking to create a reaction, versus someone who truly embodies these things. Many of his most offensive tweets, for example, were in the form of retweeting other people and spoofing them by misquoting them in an offensive way (exploiting the way Twitter used to handle retweets).

Whether or not people agree or disagree with his removal from Disney is one thing. His tweets were highly offensive - by design -- there's no disputing that. So the consequences of that are what they are. Personally, I think it's an over-correction on the part of Disney, because they absolutely knew what his past was and they are trying to save their asses in the midst of a merger with a company on the political side currently trying discredit Gunn. But I can also see the point of the people who feel his previous behavior warrants his dismissal.

But there are people in this very thread who are putting him on the same level as actual pedophiles. It baffles me that the notion of performance art, no matter how poorly executed, can fly over the heads of what I assume to be otherwise intelligent people.

Um, how does any of that relate to the post of mine you quoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back