James Gunn fired from GOTG 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, honestly I think Disney people were well aware of his tweets, but didn’t care until now, because now it has a chance to splash their boots. They didn’t sack Gunn out of some kind of moral high ground, that’s for sure.
Its a real ugly situation, but Gunn brought it on himself.

I'm pleased to see so many pure and clean people these days.

It does make me wonder how the internet happened. For a place that condemns wrong humor, there sure seems to be an awful lot of it around.

Is the secret that it's ok as long as you include the preface "I'm going to Hell for laughing at this but...?"

Just asking.

On the other hand, I've seen Gunn pick up a figurative pitch fork or two, so it's kind of hard to get too worked up. It's like seeing a witch finder get tied to the stake. I still don't like witch burning, but that kind of was your thing, you know?

That's just patently ridiculous. The history of Gunn's Twitter account has come up over the years and Disney hadn't batted an eye, but there's zero chance they didn't know about it.

What's changed since then? Disney doesn't want to torpedo their deal with Fox -- a hugely conservative company.. And this current stink over Gunn was initiated by conservative groups upset with his negative comments about Trump.

When Gunn was making Disney billions, they couldn't care less about his Twitter account. When that very same Twitter account could potentially cost Disney even more billions, they can the guy. They feign some moral high ground, but it's more like they are standing in a valley.

Disney employees have been and are still running rampant with their social media doing untold damage to the Star Wars fanbase and their bottom line and Disney have not batted an eye over it so its not a stretch to think they arent really across it or care. Why is it such a shock to some that Disney would act in the way they have anyway? Gunn`s tweets are disgusting and disturbing and Disney is supposed to represent family entertainment so you do the math. Whether it is old or recent news its still what it is.

Disney employees have been and are still running rampant with their social media doing untold damage to the Star Wars fanbase and their bottom line and Disney have not batted an eye over it so its not a stretch to think they arent really across it or care. Why is it such a shock to some that Disney would act in the way they have anyway? Gunn`s tweets are disgusting and disturbing and Disney is supposed to represent family entertainment so you do the math. Whether it is old or recent news its still what it is.

Why does it seem so out of the question to you that the mock outrage Disney is now showing coincides exactly in the midst of one of the largest media mergers in history? What's the more likely scenario here? That Disney was just completely oblivious to Gunn's history (despite it garnering attention prior to this), or they are covering their asses to protect a huge deal?

Gunn`s tweets are disgusting and disturbing and Disney is supposed to represent family entertainment so you do the math. Whether it is old or recent news its still what it is.

Then they better cut immediate ties with Depp and put out a statement that they are a family company. They should also remove his character likeness from the park.

Also need to distance themselves from RDJ, who used to hang and do hard drugs with people who beat their wives. I mean he famously had an early career he tanked for drug abuse (not as bad as telling tasteless gross jokes, mind you). In fact get that guy a drug test today. You know he's probably 90% heroin. Once an addict....

Obviously I'm being silly, but RDJ is a HUGE example of a guy I look up to who changed his entire life, late in life, for the better... much like Gunn. Two guys who genuinely care about their craft, their fans, and putting good out... despite their past.

I get why Gunn is out, I knew the second the MAGA fans turned their attack from who he was defending, to him, and dug up his already known past. I just don't agree with Disney's BS about not knowing about it.

I was stoked when Marval Studios gave RDJ another chance, against a LOT of negative press against Downey... and look what you got. Disney would NEVER hire Downey today, in this climate, with his past.

People change. I've only seen the last 2 years of Gunn's tweets... tweets and messages I've saved because they inspire and are thoughtful.

Guardians theme's of "Losing Family" and "Finding family" may now end the trilogy with "Drax does fart jokes" - because 10 years ago a guy was deep in TROMA work and is now paying for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you that are defending this piece of garbage are becoming equally disturbing....Jokes aren't JUST jokes. BTW ADC and Sam K, didn't make jokes about molesting children. Gunn is gone and so should he be for being so sick and twisted.

I laughed at the Goofy tweet. Sorry.

He's making rape, sexist, child abuse, and aids jokes. Just a few years ago, a lot of people didn't give a damn. He certainly didn't. Even today, a lot of people don't. There's a lot of fake outrage from virtue signaling conservatives and classical liberals who were at the helm of this. It's funny because they usually pretend to care about free speech. They're also the ones who go on about hating political correctness because they have to tell it like it is, eh? Yeah, they don't give a sht about his tweets. He hurt their feelings recently with comments he made and now they want him gone. Unprincipled hypocrites.

Those tweets are not funny, even though they're jokes to some people. I wish they weren't, but morbid humor is a thing. They're all in **** poor taste. He was an edgelord. The kind of person you'd expect to find on websites with alt right communities. Prior to what 'alt right' idealists think alt right is about now, James Gunn's tweets are exactly what it was about a few years ago, and still is very much about today. Messing around on the internet by posting moronic offensive things, always at the expense of others, seeing who can raise the bar on the offensiveness. I wish I could say that I was disturbed by his tweets and angered over them, but I'm not. There's too much of that on the internet already. I'm desensitized.

He apologized for it in late 2012, he should not have been fired. And I'm probably the only one who believes this here - I think Disney didn't look at his social media history. The reason is that people in 2012 weren't so 'pc' like people are now, and recent political correctness is what led to [some] employers start looking into their employees' online history. Digging up people's past to get them fired only became a thing fairly recently. Also, there weren't any more such tweets posted within shorter time frames? All the ones on that imgur link were posted every couple of months. If he posted these kinds of tweets every couple of months, there's not enough of a reason to believe that he genuinely has those beliefs, therefore, not a reason to be fired over them.

For context, here's the winner who ran the smear campaign to make this happen. It was politically motivated, of course. They looked for dirt and found it. NSFW.

View attachment 831721
That dumb ass****? I'm not surprised one bit. He has been trying getting multiple people fired within the last year by doing the same thing. Chuck Schumer, Sam Seder, David Pakman - others he has tried getting fired, last two being liberal political commentators.

Last edited:
Of course he doesn’t have those beliefs.

just like darkside calling for him to be put down shouldn’t be taken literally.

Or should it?

i mean... if we take him literally, we need to assume Darkside would want other people put to death for words they typed.

I dunno. Isn’t calling for someone to be put down a banable offense?

I’m pretty disturbed, actually.

I dunno. Isn’t calling for someone to be put down a banable offense?
Not sure about bans, but it is odd how a person could be appalled by the words someone wrote and then suggest some sort of violence should be done to them a sentence later.

Happening a lot in this thread, it seems:

53C4F663-AB73-47EC-83B2-A04B54E36076.jpeg

This is why you don't act like an ***** on social media

How many careers have been ruined by that. How many jobs did people not get because the HR dept combed through facebook/twitter posts

If you are going to live your life on social media, things will always come back to haunt you

We've all said and done juvenile stuff with friends growing up. The difference is we never posted it for the world to see.

These days people seem to have lost that filter in search of more followers/likes
I have no idea where I read this, but back before Facebook and Twitter were even thought of and AOL was king, I read something along the lines of "never say or do anything that you would be embarrassed to repeat in front of a judge."

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Why does it seem so out of the question to you that the mock outrage Disney is now showing coincides exactly in the midst of one of the largest media mergers in history? What's the more likely scenario here? That Disney was just completely oblivious to Gunn's history (despite it garnering attention prior to this), or they are covering their asses to protect a huge deal?

The issue here is Gunn`s behaviour not Disney`s and that fact is being conveniently forgotten here by a few people. I dont care very much for the Disney corporation but what else on Gods green earth did you expect them to do in this situation? I`d really like to know.

Personally, I hope I keep growing and evolving as an individual for the rest of my life. I don't think there is, nor should there be, any age limit on having personal epiphanies or changes of heart.

Your words ring true but Gunn was a grown adult when he posted that disgusting garbage and that`s the bottom line. It could also be said that he never became a better person at all and just "adapted" to the situation of climbing the ladder of success and was smart enough to put the brakes on his behaviour and nothing else. I`ve seen people before claiming that they are different from the people they were in the past when actually they are very much the same, just present themselves in a different wrapping.

As someone who doesnt give a frogs fat ass about US politics, I find it fascinating that this is being used as a defence for Gunn and some serious lines are being crossed in regards to forum guidelines.

Last edited:
Then they better cut immediate ties with Depp and put out a statement that they are a family company. They should also remove his character likeness from the park.

Also need to distance themselves from RDJ, who used to hang and do hard drugs with people who beat their wives. I mean he famously had an early career he tanked for drug abuse (not as bad as telling tasteless gross jokes, mind you). In fact get that guy a drug test today. You know he's probably 90% heroin. Once an addict....

Obviously I'm being silly, but RDJ is a HUGE example of a guy I look up to who changed his entire life, late in life, for the better... much like Gunn. Two guys who genuinely care about their craft, their fans, and putting good out... despite their past.

I get why Gunn is out, I knew the second the MAGA fans turned their attack from who he was defending, to him, and dug up his already known past. I just don't agree with Disney's BS about not knowing about it.

I was stoked when Marval Studios gave RDJ another chance, against a LOT of negative press against Downey... and look what you got. Disney would NEVER hire Downey today, in this climate, with his past.

People change. I've only seen the last 2 years of Gunn's tweets... tweets and messages I've saved because they inspire and are thoughtful.

Guardians theme's of "Losing Family" and "Finding family" may now end the trilogy with "Drax does fart jokes" - because 10 years ago a guy was deep in TROMA work and is now paying for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

Perhaps your right, maybe its something you should take up with the Disney Corporation. In regards to Gunn, I think the old saying live by the sword, die by the sword might apply here.

I've been keeping an eye on see the "fringe" online who claim sex trafficking of kids is very prevalent in the upper layers of governments, industry and Hollywood. At first I considered it another conspiracy theory (a sick one at that) but the onion is slowly being peeled and and it's becoming disgustingly true. One of the latest was Joel Davis who ran a nationally recognized program for sexually abused kids. He was indicted a few weeks ago for contacting an undercover FBI agent posing as a trafficker. According to the indictment, Davis exchanged pics that can't be described here, but involve infants.

I suspect these underlings will be used by the authorities to work their way up and it's going to rock the world to its core.

This is a pretty dense thread, but my take on it is that while Disney may have been able to give Gunn a pass in 2012 they can't do it in our post-Weinstein/MeToo climate. Is that a little backhanded of Disney? Maybe. But they have to cover themselves in case something ever came of it. There are plenty of cases of abuse pre-MeToo that have slipped under the radar because those people kept their heads down after. In this case Gunn kept his head down but once the old stuff was dredged back out Disney had to act.

I was also one of those people who were utterly surprised when Disney hired Gunn, and even more surprised when he made good movies for them. Guardians of The Galaxy was something no one, even Disney I expect, thought would be successful. Even in comic book circles the title was not terribly well known. For me, the entire situation with the first film was a surprise. Especially how much I like the first film. I remember walking out thinking "Wow, somebody from Troma made a good film."

I've met Lloyd Kaufman, and I've had interactions with a lot of poeple in the Troma crowd at comic, sci-fi, and horror cons over the years. I'm friends with a few makeup FX people who did work for them early on. That crowd has a reputation. Not for being pedophiles of course, but very much for being oddballs and wierdos. Even among the oddballs and wierdos, they tend to stand out. If that makes sense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back