Marvel Masterworks Limited Edition Prop Duplicates (SDCC 2018)

Aldo, to answer your question - they are available to purchase right now. I checked them out, but it was a bit too rich for my blood. Personally, I would only pay those prices for screen used. But to each their own.

Yeah, for those prices, I don't like reading a description that leaves it at a prop being 'inspired by'...

At $4100 that’s a cap shield is comically overpriced. It should be 1k at the most. King Arts licenced or even Chris Fields’ fan made shields are vastly superior.

It reminds me of prop shop. Wonder if this new line will be around in six months.

At $4100 that’s a cap shield is comically overpriced. It should be 1k at the most. King Arts licenced or even Chris Fields’ fan made shields are vastly superior.

It reminds me of prop shop. Wonder if this new line will be around in six months.

How are King Arts or Chris' shields better than what is essentially a screen used prop from Marvel Studios?
You can't get any closer to screenused than something that came from the people that made the originals.

How are King Arts or Chris' shields better than what is essentially a screen used prop from Marvel Studios?
You can't get any closer to screenused than something that came from the people that made the originals.

It may be from the same hands that made the actual film props, but that's their entire selling point. It doesn't make the item worth that much if anybody else can make an identical item for literally ten times cheaper.

It may be from the same hands that made the actual film props, but that's their entire selling point. It doesn't make the item worth that much if anybody else can make an identical item for literally ten times cheaper.

Yes, I agree King Arts and Chris maybe cheaper, but that doesn't mean they are better than a prop that is coming from the same molds as those used for the original props.
King Arts and Chris' props cannot match the accuracy of an original prop from the original molds.
I'm not disputing Marvel Masterworks are expensive and price out the ordinary fan, I'm disputing that anyone other than the Marvel prop makers are making anything that is 100% accurate/identical.
Marvel Masterworks are also offering an experience with their props. If you watch the video I posted a link to above, you'll hear Russell talk about that with the Mark I Helmet.

Yes, I agree King Arts and Chris maybe cheaper, but that doesn't mean they are better than a prop that is coming from the same molds as those used for the original props.
King Arts and Chris' props cannot match the accuracy of an original prop from the original molds.
I'm not disputing Marvel Masterworks are expensive and price out the ordinary fan, I'm disputing that anyone other than the Marvel prop makers are making anything that is 100% accurate/identical.
Marvel Masterworks are also offering an experience with their props. If you watch the video I posted a link to above, you'll hear Russell talk about that with the Mark I Helmet.
the EFX shield was from the same molds and cost way less money. This is nothing more than a overpriced cash grab like Propshop. They are pricing themselves out of business before they even begin.

Except it’s not screen used. I think most people want to pay for affordable replicas rather than something the guy who works on the movies may or may not have touched.

Except it’s not screen used. I think most people want to pay for affordable replicas rather than something the guy who works on the movies may or may not have touched.

I appreciate that and I agree I would obviously prefer an affordable prop.
I'm just saying you won't get closer to screen used compared to any other replica and that, in part, is where Marvel Masterworks are really setting themselves apart from the garage kits/replicas out there.

Yeah, I thought the claw marks was odd. First off, it is a brand new shield with scratches. He has always had the same shield (obviously) up until Infinity War, which would mean that the shield should have the dents from being shot by Peggy in Captain America: The First Avenger. Personally, I would rather have the shot version over the scratched. But I still wouldn't pay that much unless it was screen used.

Going to put on my comic geek hat for second.

Due to its vibranium construction, the shield never actually takes damage. What you see reflected in the movies is just damage to the paint that's been applied to it. Cap just gets his shield repainted every now & again. In the comics, vibranium and adamantium couldn't damage each other (although the lore on that may have changed) so Black Panther's vibranium claws couldn't scratch caps shield; just the paint. Not sure if they're following that same "rules" in the MCU as the comic universe does, tho'.

And if Thor's hammer didn't dent it in Avengers, no way is Peggy Carter's .45 is leaving a dent. :)

Not sure why they went with the scratched version of the shield. Maybe to distinguish it from the other shields they've produced? Still, seems odd.And ridiculously overpriced.

Going to put on my comic geek hat for second.

Due to its vibranium construction, the shield never actually takes damage. What you see reflected in the movies is just damage to the paint that's been applied to it. Cap just gets his shield repainted every now & again. In the comics, vibranium and adamantium couldn't damage each other (although the lore on that may have changed) so Black Panther's vibranium claws couldn't scratch caps shield; just the paint. Not sure if they're following that same "rules" in the MCU as the comic universe does, tho'.

And if Thor's hammer didn't dent it in Avengers, no way is Peggy Carter's .45 is leaving a dent. :)

Not sure why they went with the scratched version of the shield. Maybe to distinguish it from the other shields they've produced? Still, seems odd.And ridiculously overpriced.

Yeah I don't think they sweat the Vibranium-on-VIbranium damage issue. Showing damage might just be the studio's attempt to add more impact to the scene, to just reinforce that Black Panther is a force to be reckoned with. But who knows.

Yeah, I thought the claw marks was odd. First off, it is a brand new shield with scratches. He has always had the same shield (obviously) up until Infinity War, which would mean that the shield should have the dents from being shot by Peggy in Captain America: The First Avenger. Personally, I would rather have the shot version over the scratched. But I still wouldn't pay that much unless it was screen used.

Here's my take, for what it's worth... I get the notion of adding the scratches to the shield to differentiate it from the other shields out there; there are a lot of really good Cap shields out there, the scratches make it identifiable and unique, say for someone who would like a shield unique to each movie. That makes sense to me. What I was having trouble resolving is, why produce a shield that is supposed to be arguably the most accurate you could get, made by the same team even, but then manually add damage that was only cgi in the movie? At that price point, coming from the same prop production team, I would think the scratches would actually take value away from the piece compared to just leaving it be. Is it just me? Wouldn't be there first time lol.

Any ways, just my two cents. I like the shield I have, nice and shiny with no toppings :lol

True. What I call dents was most likely lead from the bullets that rubbed off when they were deflected. But I thought later in the movie that you could notice it through the paint, That was why I assumed dents. (Haven't watched it in forever, so just going off what I remember.)

" Up to 50 will be made upon order for the ultimate collector by Russell Bobbitt, Head of Props for Marvel Studios, and his team."

Meaning, the intern with a heavy machinery background who is the lowest on the Marvel prop department food chain, which is overseen by Russell Bobbitt, is the guy making them. His buddy from art is the guy painting. But because Marvel's name is actually on it, it is supposedly worth that amount.

The Iron Man MK.1 helmet isn't even metal. If they want $3650 for an Iron Man helmet, it better be metal and wearable.

At least the $3550 Eye of Agamotto actually lights up...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to say some part of a costume that I was wearing to a Con was made by the people who made the originals for the show or movie, but not at those prices.

Last edited:
Yeah but... free shipping! You know that makes it a really good...... sorry, can't even finish my humor attempt. Some cool stuff and I would love that Eye of Agamotto (limited edition :rolleyes), but I think I'll buy a used car instead.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back