Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

Uhhh... you failed to answer my question.

You stated that if someone relies on instinct as guidance, that makes them a Mary Sue. I want you to say yes or no that this is what you truly mean.

If you claim "instinct" is Rey's guidance, then, once again, she is totally different from Luke who actually had training and from-the-grave insight!

I don't think Mary Sue's are powered by nothing, but just throwing hands up and claiming, "instinct!!!" and then trying to claim pure instinct is the same as actually receiving training from live people who wanted to train you of a pretty wide separation.

Think of it like, someone telling Luke, he's a good pilot, Luke has a ship in the garage, Luke says he is a pilot, a good one...

vs

"we need a pilot!"

"You got one!'

OR

Receives training from a Great Jedi master and still gets hand cut off by someone who didn't want to kill him

vs

Out force pulls a lightsaber, then proceeds to defeat the guy who is so proficient in the force he can deflect lasers when he isn't freezing them in mid air.

so,

farmboy

vs

Mary Sue

Absolutely!

Someone with NO TRAINING Defeats Seasoned people who have TRAINED for YEARS!

That is the definition of a Mary Sue. No training, insta-mastery *OR* having skills readily available without any prior mention as well. It is INSTANT Overpowered Proficiency.
Lazy writers just throw Rey into any scenario and she succeeds! Luke got zapped, hand cut off, even with Ben's and Yoda's training and with Vader *not* wanting to kill him.

Ok... good! We finally got an answer to this question! :)

So... we have established that in @JPH's opinion, if one lets go of their conscious self, and instead acts on instinct...that makes them the very definition of a Mary Sue.

Everybody with us so far? ;)

This being the case, that means that--in @JPH's learned opinion--Luke is also the very definition of a Mary Sue, since it was Obi Wan's exact words to Luke to "Let go of your conscious self, and act on instinct". He said that to Luke aboard the Falcon, and immediately after, Luke was able to deflect a blaster bolt from the remote, where previously he had been unsuccessful. ERGO, the guidance given by Obi wan--to act on instinct--directly led Luke to his first triumph in using his Force abilities...where he had no previous training in that skill or reason shown why he would be able to do it.

So if nothing else, we have now at least got JPH to admit that if Rey is to be considered a Mary Sue, so then is Luke. Glad to have finally got that one clear.:lol

Last edited:
Somebody remind me who taught Luke to use the force to move things with his mind. Onscreen evidence only, please... and if you say Yoda, you're wrong.

Ok... good! We finally got an answer to this question! :)

So... we have established that in @JPH's opinion, if one lets go of their conscious self, and instead acts on instinct...that makes them the very definition of a Mary Sue.

Everybody with us so far? ;)

This being the case, that means that--in @JPH's learned opinion--Luke is also the very definition of a Mary Sue, since it was Obi Wan's exact words to Luke to "Let go of your conscious self, and instead act on instinct". He said that to Luke aboard the Falcon, and immediately after, Luke was able to deflect a blaster bolt from the remote, where previously he had been unsuccessful. ERGO, the guidance given by Obi wan--to act on instinct--directly led Luke to his first triumph in using his Force abilities.

So if nothing else, we have now at least got JPH to admit that if Rey is to be considered a Mary Sue, so then is Luke. Glad to have finally got that one clear.:lol

...you left out the part where I mention Rey overcomes every obstacle in her path vs Luke's failures on instinct and even with training. :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

Somebody remind me who taught Luke to use the force to move things with his mind. Onscreen evidence only, please... and if you say Yoda, you're wrong.

I can post the scene of Obi Wan explaining the Force to Luke again, or how Luke gets two proton torpedoes tiny into a exhaust port with Ben's guidance if it will change your mind. :D

...you left out the part where I mention Rey overcomes every obstacle in her path vs Luke's failures on instinct and even with training. :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

I can post the scene of Obi Wan explaining the Force to Luke again, or how Luke gets two proton torpedoes tiny into a exhaust port with Ben's guidance if it will change your mind. :D

I didn't leave out anything. the purpose of my question was to point out to you what seems to have either eluded you these past two pages (and comments by several others) or else you've just chosen to ignore it. That being that you call Rey a Mary Sue for acting on instinct, but don't acknowledge Luke as being the same given that he was told explicitly by Obi Wan to use his instincts in order to block the remote's shot. It's literally the same thing, and I even got you to admit it...but now you're once again attempting to deflect the discussion instead of just owning the fact that you've talked yourself into a corner.

Luke didn't "move the torpedos with his mind"...he stretched out with his feeling s and allowed the Force to help guide him as to the timing and placement of his shot. but he didn't move them into the exhaust port with his mind. Not a very good example for you to have chosen.

I didn't leave out anything. the purpose of my question was to point out to you what seems to have either eluded you these past two pages (and comments by several others) or else you've just chosen to ignore it. That being that you call Rey a Mary Sue for acting on instinct, but don't acknowledge Luke as being the same given that he was told explicitly by Obi Wan to use his instincts in order to block the remote's shot. It's literally the same thing, and I even got you to admit it...but now you're once again attempting to deflect the discussion instead of just owning the fact that you've talked yourself into a corner.

Luke didn't "move the torpedos with his mind"...he stretched out with his feeling s and allowed the Force to help guide him as to the timing and placement of his shot. but he didn't move them into the exhaust port with his mind. Not a very good example for you to have chosen.

Hmmm, so the clear distinction between Luke getting training vs no training for Rey in the Force is the same to you?

Luke failing more than once vs Rey never failing is the same to you?

I am backed into a pretty comfy corner then. ;)

The Force helped Luke *GUIDE* the torpedoes. Kinda like shakily *guiding* a lightsaber into his hand. In the movie the gorps take a hard angle...here let me show ya!

at 21 seconds, two torps just turn and head straight down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniy8aDSFLA

Did I mention Obi Wan had to speak to him from beyond the grave to "instruct" him.

Is that just like the instruction Rey received to read Kylo's mind. I am pretty sure she reads his mind the very next scene after he "knocks her out" with the wave of his hand. From noob to insta-mastery. :lol

Luke's first lightsaber pull, Wampa scene. Starts around 1:30. He has to relax and settle himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6o2WX4crxg

Meanwhile, Kylo tries to pull the lightsaber in the snow, and it just don't wanna come to his hand?

I wonder why?

Oh wait, Mary Su...er, Rey, at 1:30, arm stretch out, her first lightsaber pull. Outpulls someone once trained by Luke Skywalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI

What was that about "backed into a corner"?

Luke failing more than once vs Rey never failing is the same to you?

At the point in the film that we are discussing, yes! This is literally the first time that Luke is given a chance to try anythign Force related. It is THE first time. He tries..he fails. Obi Wan tells him to act on instinct.. he succeeds.

Rey tries to mind trick the stormtrooper..fails. She tries again..fails. She tries a third time..succeeds.

She was definitely failing in her lightsaber fight with Kylo too, until he mentioned the Force again,a nd she let go and acted on instinct (like Luke) and then she was able to turn the tables on him.

The Force helped Luke *GUIDE* the torpedoes. Kinda like shakily *guiding* a lightsaber into his hand. In the movie the gorps take a hard angle...here let me show ya!

at 21 seconds, two torps just turn and head straight down

That may be what you want to believe happened. it may also be the way the VFX dept. decided to illustrate that shot those many years ago.

In any case, it isn't explicitly stated that Luke guided them in with his mind. It's your opinion of what happened (and that's fine) but it isn't fact. And if you're willing to fill that detail in to help your understanding of how Luke managed to do an incredible thing, then why are you not willing to do the same for Rey?

It's like we keep dancing around this same spot on the floor, and you're either completely blind to it, or you're hoping we will just give up and leave you to your delusions.

At the point in the film that we are discussing, yes! This is literally the first time that Luke is given a chance to try anythign Force related. It is THE first time. He tries..he fails. Obi Wan tells him to act on instinct.. he succeeds.

Rey tries to mind trick the stormtrooper..fails. She tries again..fails. She tries a third time..succeeds.

She was definitely failing in her lightsaber fight with Kylo too, until he mentioned the Force again,a nd she let go and acted on instinct (like Luke) and then she was able to turn the tables on him.

That may be what you want to believe happened. it may also be the way the VFX dept. decided to illustrate that shot those many years ago.

In any case, it isn't explicitly stated that Luke guided them in with his mind. It's your opinion of what happened (and that's fine) but it isn't fact. And if you're willing to fill that detail in to help your understanding of how Luke managed to do an incredible thing, then why are you not willing to do the same for Rey?

It's like we keep dancing around this same spot on the floor, and you're either completely blind to it, or you're hoping we will just give up and leave you to your delusions.

Wow! Three times for someone who has NEVER mind tricked before.

Oh wait, he didn't hear her the first time. "What did you say?" he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bxkqWC2M

Gee, she overcame the obstacle! Just like a... a... MARY SUE! She had to try it more than once and remind him to drop the gun.

SHE SUCEEDED! Did he laugh her off and she needed to wait for the next guy?

Even Obi Wan, was right up close and fixed eye contact, but not Mary Su..er, Rey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_xfR64qSk

Rey did it Without guidance. Oh wait, instinct.

Luke needed guidance to get torpedoes to turn a right angle at a small exhaust port. And Luke had received prior training in the basics of the Force.

Did someone hint to Rey what she needed to do? No, but Luke did.

So now you have actual movie footage of what happened, the gross differences, and repeated explanations to fill in the blanks.

I have been consistent and clearly, the differences have nothing to do with pacing.

Wow! Three times for someone who has NEVER mind tricked before.

Oh wait, he didn't hear her the first time. "What did you say?" he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bxkqWC2M

Gee, she overcame the obstacle! Just like a... a... MARY SUE! She had to try it more than once and remind him to drop the gun.

SHE SUCEEDED!

Luke only needed to be told ONCE to use instinct before he succeeded with the remote. So by your logic that makes him MORE of a Mary Sue than Rey.

And we were SOOO close here, too:

Screenshot (849).png

You had a brief moment there where you admitted your bias. But then it's back to crazy land again in another instant. :rolleyes

Luke only needed to be told ONCE to use instinct before he succeeded with the remote. So by your logic that makes him MORE of a Mary Sue than Rey.

And we were SOOO close here, too:

View attachment 833624

You had a brief moment there where you admitted your bias. But then it's back to crazy land again in another instant. :rolleyes

Being that Luke was *told* you just made my point again. ;)

Obiwan and Yoda helped train Luke. Why is that consistently ignored? Rey's instinct isn't the same as actually being trained. Everyone has instincts. Using that philosophy, no one needs training. Instincts *can* be wrong, y'know.

Also,

Minimizing Kylo, when we all know he could take down just about anyone...he even took down Snoke, freezes blasters in air!! doesnt make the Mary Sue argument weaker. It makes the Mary Sue argument much much STRONGER. She defeated someone trained by Luke Skywalker, probably receiving training his entire life.

I could go on, but I have a day planned.

Oh wait Kylo, here comes someone with "pure instinct." No training. Luke had training, Kylo had training, Vader had training, Rey had...uh, instinct. Just instinct. And you disregard the training.

When she resisted Kylo's mind probe, she was drawing on the Force without realizing it. He pushed harder, she pushed back harder -- hard enough to reverse it and look into his mind. She basically absorbed a lot of his skills in the process and, over the rest of the film, they started popping up for her in relevant moments. How much was her mind putting things together and how much was the Force working through her I can't say. This is one of the things Dan called out as going by too fast. I caught it on first viewing, but a lot of people didn't, and some never caught it at all. Something that important to plot and character growth, it's on the filmmaker to be clear, and JJ wasn't.
Guess I didn't get that at all. Really, the whole scene was just awkward.

Pacing issues.

For everything she does? Ummm, No!

She mentioned she's a pilot *WHEN* they need a pilot vs Kenobi complimenting Luke, Luke mentioning it in other scenes. Just ears necessary for this one.

at 32 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hzDzxmWvY

This is Star Wars, not The Princess bride. A great movie, but in TPB they *embrace* the insta-mastery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-AYt6gqHU

You're moving the goalposts again.

That's because your argument is bull**** and it's the only way you can make it work. Well, that and consistently applying double standards.

Dan, I have applied standards consistently. Luke flew in a ship, similar to what rebels used. When I backed it up from an outside source...not that it was required, because Luke's flying of a small ships was mentioned in the film, tlj defenders refused to accept it. Rey, on the other hand, did not give the audience *any* evidence of her staggering capabilities until she performed them...and some feats are without *any* prior clue of the skills involved. You *have* to seek outside sources to come *close* to excusing a small portion of Rey's Mary Sue-ness.

And while you just accept it for for Rey, and blanket dismiss it as "just the same for Luke" even though evidence is *right there* in the movie! No wookiepedia needed, just functioning ears and eyes. THAT is the disningenuous apllication of standards.

Consistent and simplified.

The above was your words on the subject. Yours. Not mine. I've highlighted the relevant part. You say Rey doesn't provide *any* evidence of her capabilities until she performs them.

Neither does Luke.

Other people and Luke himself talk about his skills. But we don't actually see them in action until he's actually flying an X-wing. The pacing issue is with the introduction of the idea that he's a pilot, but you now are relying on it like a crutch to prop up your lame argument that Luke has "earned" his abilities, but Rey is a "Mary Sue."

Rey states that she can fly. Then she flies. Luke states he can fly. Then he flies. You're trying to argue that the fact that Luke said it far enough before it actually happened is a material difference in the "earned" nature of Luke's abilities.

It's not, and that's just bull****.

Except this person fails to acknowledge that Luke's skills were mentioned well in advance.

Well, that's just a flat-out ****ing lie, isn't it, considering I'm the person who actually highlighted the issue.

This gets at something I see as an underlying flaw that permeates TFA, actually. Information in TFA is introduced at a breakneck pace and doesn't have time to really register with the audience. As a result, it's both easy to forget this or that detail and you end up feeling like not enough has been explained. So, yes, technically both Luke and Rey just talk about their abilities flying, and never actually demonstrate it until they're in the cockpit. But the difference in terms of introducing that information to the audience is as you describe: we're given a bunch of points at which Luke's flying ability is referenced (although his fathers' ability is irrelevant to his own). Obi-Wan says he hears Luke's a good pilot. Luke says he's a good pilot when he meets Han. Luke references his piloting in the Death Star briefing. And in the SE, Biggs talks up Luke's piloting abilities, too. Only after all of that do we see Luke fly.

By contrast, we literally get the information about Rey on the run, and then 10 seconds later she's flying.

The same information has been imparted to the audience, and it holds the same value, but the audience believes one more than the other because it's had time to process and digest that information. We have no reason to believe one more than the other except that the information has been reinforced and allowed to simmer in one case, but not the other.

None of that makes Rey a Mary Sue, though. It is, however, very bad pacing.

There are similar issues with TFA about...well, really about a ton of stuff. How did the First Order rise? Who the hell is Snoke? What are the Knights of Ren and are they served by the Squires of Stimpy? Why does Lor San Tekka (whose name is never even said in the film) have info on Luke? What's the difference between the Republic and the Resistance, and why does it seem like only the Resistance has any weapons?

Sorry! There isn't time to explain any of this! We have rathtars loose on the ship! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

All of this stuff, I think, goes back to JJ not letting his story breathe, or intentionally withholding information to create a "mystery" about it. In the few slower moments that the film does have, they aren't using it to impart information, but rather to seed questions (e.g. at Maz's castle, which just introduces a ton of questions about Rey and her past). And then, EXPLOSIONS!!!! CHAOS!!! LASER BLASTS!!!! And we're on to the next roller coaster ride.

That, to me, is the really sloppy storytelling in TFA. Not the stuff about why Rey is good with a lightsabre. She's good because of the same reason Luke is: she's strong in the Force and the Force guides her. Well, that and she's a hero in a movie franchise where heroes are just really good at stuff.

But I didn't acknowledge that Luke's skills were mentioned in advance? Like I said: that's a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hzDzxmWvY&t=37s

Look! Luke even gets to use a lightsaber and learn about the Force!

Did we see any of that for Rey?

The excuse offered is "pacing" which might work for one or two things, but not for everything Rey does.

If "one standard" was "consistently applied," then the "pacing" excuse wouldn't be necessary for only one of the two scenarios.

I did apply one standard. You're the one who apparently is incapable of that. You said there's no evidence offered for Rey's skills, which makes her a Mary Sue. I noted that the same applies to Luke. You said that Luke was trained and Rey was not. You cited to wookieepedia to prove your point. I pointed out that Rey's wookieepedia entry likewise offers proof that she was trained. You dismissed that and said that nothing in the film indicates that she can fly, but Luke's piloting abilities had been mentioned before he flew (as if that's actual proof of his abilities, which it isn't). I noted that Rey literally says she can fly before she flies.

Now you're argument is "Well....well.....uh.....but Luke had stuff about being a pilot earlier in the movie than Rey, so that makes his abilities earned, while Rey's aren't."

This is utter nonsense. Luke doesn't "earn" his abilities. We don't see him train as a pilot. We literally never see him fly a ******* thing until he's in his X-wing. Not even his T-16. All we get is talk about his abilities. But to you, that equals him "earning" his abilities, provided of course that they were talked up enough. How many scenes would we have to lose before Luke no longer "earns" his piloting abilities, hmm? Does he still "earn" them in the theatrical cut? That one doesn't include the scene at the Yavin base with Biggs saying he's a good pilot. If we drop the reference to his T-16 -- which, within the context of the film alone we don't even know is an airspeeder in the first place because it's never actually described as one? Still earned then? How about if we cut Luke telling Han that he's a good pilot? Would it still count if all we have is Obi-Wan saying that he's heard Luke's a good pilot? Just the once? Is it a matter of proximity of the information to the actual performance? Ok, so, how many scenes do we have to add back in for Luke to "earn" his abilities? What if it's just the Biggs scene that's the only reference to his piloting? Still earned? How about if we keep the briefing discussion about his T-16 along with the Biggs scene? Is that "earned" enough?

Don't bother answering because your answer doesn't actually matter. Why? Simple. Because talking about someone's abilities doesn't actually mean they "earned" them. You know what might? A training montage. Or a bunch of earlier sequences that showcase the person's skills in XYZ gradually growing with time. That's how you "earn" abilities: showing the person actually working to improve them. Otherwise, they're just abilities the person has, which aren't earned.

We don't see Luke train in lightsabre combat, either. We see him block blaster shots after Obi-Wan says "Reach out with your feelings." Wow. Such insightful guidance. I guess anyone could be a Jedi then, if they just, you know, reach out with their feelings? Or does it perhaps require that the person have innate ability which by definition is not earned. After that one scene, we literally never see him train in lightsabre combat ever again. Not once. Prior to that, we see literally no training in any melee combat. But, of course, Luke has "earned" his fabulous abilities with a lightsabre, whereas Rey is "just good at everything." Never mind that we establish early on that Rey is skilled in melee combat. Oh, wait. Forgot. She didn't "earn it." Know who else didn't "earn" their melee combat abilities and was "just good at it"? Obi-Wan. Han Solo didn't "earn" his flying abilities or his gunslinging abilities in ANH. He just shows up and he's good at it. Obi-Wan and Han Solo: both Mary Sues based on how you seem to apply the term.

The simple fact is that people in Star Wars films are very often justgood at stuff as the situation requires. But of course, Rey is the only one where it's a problem.

No, no, no. Your argument is and has been that Luke "earns" his abilities, but Rey does not. Aside from that being bull****, the notion of "But Luke fails and Rey doesn't" is just you changing horses mid-stream. You can't seem to mount a credible, consistent argument, so you try to duck and weave and fling nonsense arguments around in the hopes that doing so will somehow distract from the fact that your argument is crap founded on double standards.

You then literally lie about what I've actually said and what I've acknowledged, as I have proven above.

This is blatant trolling. You aren't interested in an actual, honest intellectual discussion or even a reasonable debate. You just want to stand around repeatedly ranting about Rey being a Mary Sue, when you don't have a ******* thing to support your argument. When I knock down your arguments -- repeatedly -- you move the goalposts, change the standards, or simply lie about what I've said.

You've got nothing to back up your argument, and you know it.

You're just a troll.

If a 9 year old orphan kid on a desert planet without discernible formal training can pilot spacecraft and beat seasoned pros at podracing due to sheer innate talent it's not inconceivable that, on another desert planet, an older, more experienced and streetwise woman also with fascination with space piloting (as evidenced by the paraphernalia in her home) might have some innate talent as well, no?

Last edited:
Here's the truth-- EVERYONE in Star Wars is a Mary Sue. It's MYTHIC storytelling. Myths are stories about exceptionsl people who become larger than life heroes. We didnt see anybody teach Han how to shoot or fly, but we accept that. Anakin, with no training, is the only human that can pod race.

This is mythic storytelling. Rey does nothing that other SW heroes don't do. There's only a term for it because she's female.

This is Star Wars, not The Princess bride. A great movie, but in TPB they *embrace* the insta-mastery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-AYt6gqHU

So do you get this worked up over other films where mastery of a skill, or how such mastery was obtained, isn't mentioned until later in the narrative or explained sufficiently prior to demonstration of such mastery? Or is it only with stories that feature a female protagonist that bug you?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back