Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

200.gif

It's not quite Horse Stance, but I'm used to seeing very-low-center-of-gravity stances used in some staff forms...
Stop looking for sword forms in her fighting.

So basically Rey has no idea of what she's doing in, regards to the use of a lightsaber. Yet, she was able to defeat Kylo Ren. You see how screwed up this whole thing is? Thanks J.J. Abrams!:thumbsup

I couldn’t understand why Rey was doing that exaggerated swinging of the saber side to side, around her back. Looked very dangerous for a beginner (unless she’s a purebred Mary Sue).

Also, a light saber perhaps has no weight other than the hilt, so... what’s the point? It seemed like something that made sense with a prop with a wooden blade, but not something made of, ahem, LIGHT.

Okaaaayyyy.... excessive swinging of a lightsaber behind one's back is something that only NOW concerns you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40HhaIJ0QVw

Obi Wan And Anakin swing theirs WAY more excessively behind their backs (and everywhere else, to boot) in this battle.

But you see, they are dudes - with decades of training behind them no less - so their flamboyant and unrealistic laser sword swinging is entirely justified and unworthy of scorn.

Okaaaayyyy.... excessive swinging of a lightsaber behind one's back is something that only NOW concerns you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40HhaIJ0QVw

Obi Wan And Anakin swing theirs WAY more excessively behind their backs (and everywhere else, to boot) in this battle.

A trained Jedi, guided by 'The Force' can take such risks. 'The Force' enhances their accuracy and ability to perform feats, others cannot do. Rey has no formal training or full knowledge of 'The force'.

I never saw anything in the films to indicate the force helps Jedi do fancy and unnecessary behind the back lightsaber moves. ;)

Anyone else wielding a lightsaber like that, without 'The Force' would probably end up limbless.:lol Lucas wanted to show how skillful the Jedi were in the old days. Youth and full of high energy makes the fight exciting!

Looked very dangerous for a beginner

Noticed how people ignored that part of your post?

Defenders of TLJ like the insta-master qualities of Rey. You can lead them right up to equal sign that says "no sword proficiency + defeats people with high proficiency = May Sue"

Anyone else wielding a lightsaber like that, without 'The Force' would probably end up limbless.:lol Lucas wanted to show how skillful the Jedi were in the old days. Youth and full of high energy makes the fight exciting!

I understand that is your opinion, I still don't think it's canon, just your personal take on SW and the force.

I understand that is your opinion, I still don't think it's canon, just your personal take on SW and the force.

In all honesty, we all have our own opinions about SW and 'The Force'. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong for that matter. Some things just seem to line up, making certain things evident even if it's not completely explained.

I find it interesting when the characters who don't have 'The Force' always say, "May the force be with you". Clearly it's almost like they are saying "God's speed" or "May God be with you." In some way they understand 'The Force' as almost being equated to a "higher power" or something. But that's how i see it. :D

Sorry, but there's been goofy swordplay going on since ESB when Luke first did his little spin move.

Go to 1:10 or so in this video to see what I'm talking about.

When Luke spins like that, why not just stab him in the back?

And the prequels...my God...the prequels... Spins and twirls and flips and more twirls and more spins, mid-air cartwheels, etc., etc., etc.

None of it makes a lick of sense from a sword-fighting perspective. As I recall, their stunt coordinator incorporated a variety of techniques, including tennis and axe throwing. Hell, Qui-Gon basically plays racquetball with blaster bolts in the first film.

The only sword duel that made any sense was the one that was the least visually impressive: Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH. They keep their footwork contained, they keep their centers of gravity mostly above their feet, they rarely get off balance or overextend, and it's all an economy of movement waiting for an opening. One which doesn't come until Obi-Wan lets himself get killed.

Every duel since then has been entirely focused on cinematics and visual pizazz rather than good sword-fighting technique. At this point, it's just part of the franchise as a whole, so nitpicking about this or that individual character's bad sword-fighting skills seems like just an excuse to complain about the character on what has become a non-issue in the films.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hardly paid attention to the ROTS conclusion, my head was already in my hands.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back