Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

While personally I support your choice to take what you like from the films and ignore what you don't (I wish some others would learn to do that!), nevertheless it is IN there... and shows that the Force is meant to have a Will of it's own. This isn't just some idea cooked up by Uncle George in the Prequels, either, as J.J. and Rian both chose to pick up on that idea and expand upon it.

While personally I support your choice to take what you like from the films and ignore what you don't (I wish some others would learn to do that!), nevertheless it is IN there... and shows that the Force is meant to have a Will of it's own. This isn't just some idea cooked up by Uncle George in the Prequels, either, as J.J. and Rian both chose to pick up on that idea and expand upon it.

It actually is an idea cooked up by uncle George in the prequels, but it doesn't fit the narrative of the force in the rest of the films which is probably why GL dropped it after TMP. Bringing the concept back 60 years later (in universe) is one of the thing that took me out of the story in TFA.
I know the Jedi believe that Anakin is the chosen one but they were proved unwise and mistaken about many things. So Anakin's immaculate conception is just a belief by some characters in the story but not necessarily a fact.

The Clone Wars cartoon gets into more of this with notions of the "living" vs the "cosmic" Force.

Personally, I think the problem is twofold.

1. The OT is fairly vague about how the Force works in terms of explicit details, but it implies enough to create a fairly simple and circumscribed set of rules for the Force. You can pass on strength thru bloodline, for example, and probably will. It controls your actions and obeys your commands. You can shoot lightning, have superhuman reflexes and limited foresight, can view the past, present or a vague and changing future, can sense some people or feel death from far away, manifest as a ghost, and can engage in some telekinesis, the limits of which we don't know but it doesnt have to do with how big you or the thing you're lifting is. Its mystical, too. An energy field that connects all living things. And for 20 odd years, that was it. That was all everyone knew about the Force.

Part of why people rejected the PT was not because of the Force powers used, but rather because it introduced concepts that altered our understanding of the overarching "rules." Now, midichlorians gave you power, and you were only as powerful as your midichlorian count? WTF? So a blood transfusion could give you Force powers? That didn't track with what was established. I think the new movies move closer to the OT mystical approach, but they introduce new things of their own.

2. The new movies are taking the idea of the Force and, I think, reinforcing the notion that we really don't know exactly how it works. We have some theories, but that doesn't make the theories right. Again, while I agree with SethS that a movie shouldn't require you to "read the footnotes" or consult external material to make sense, the Clone Wars cartoon and Rebels cartoon both address that there are notions of the Force beyond what the Jedi or Sith think. I think TLJ continues this trend and makes the Force more mysterious. Of all of JJs mysteries, this one I support because I like that there could be more to the Force than we thought, and because it opens up new ideas for future exploration.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree. Limiting the force to what was established in the OT would limit the stories you can tell. Expanding the force expands the narrative possibilities.

Right-- and if we all personally pick and choose what aspects we like and which we don't, you can't really debate somebody who is using on screen evidence and tell them they are wrong hust cause you don't like it.

So going by this notion of the Force, as established in the films, we know that it guides actions.

Regardless of how one thinks of the actual *appearance* of Rey's lightsaber abilities in the film, would not the "guiding actions" aspect of the Force explain how, even with an unfamiliar weapon, she is able to compete against an experienced foe? If the Force can guide a pilot to make the perfect torpedo shot at the perfect time and even guide said torpedoes into a tiny exhaust tube, is it a stretch to believe it can guide a person's hand with a lightsaber?

"Let go of the conscious self and act on instinct."

I've always felt the precognition of a Jedi is basically like having hyper reflexes. You aren't consciously thinking of lightsaber moves or forms, the Force is making you body react before your mind is even aware-- hence being able to block blaster bolts or perfectly parry an attack.

I agree. Limiting the force to what was established in the OT would limit the stories you can tell. Expanding the force expands the narrative possibilities.

Exactly. At the very least, it would lead to a kind of stagnation in how the stories get told, if not necessarily the subject matter of the stories. Part of what works about, say, the Harry Potter books is that the experience of the reader (or viewer in the sense of the films) is constantly expanding. There's a real "newness" to everything that happens, even as there's core familiarity with the ground rules. As Harry gets exposed to more and more of the magical world, so does the audience, and that expands the audience's understanding of the world. The new pieces all still basically fit with the established rules, but things expand.

The PT -- at least with midichlorians -- contrasts the prior experiences, which go from being mystical and almost being about the potential of the person's mind to being much more concrete, measurable, and almost mathematical. "Oh, sorry. Your midichlorian count is below 800. You'll never be able to lift that X-wing." Something like that. Now, in fact all it's doing is applying the barest concept of a "number" being assigned to Force strength -- and people have differing "strengths" in the Force in the OT (although really people are only ever "strong" in the Force, except for Obi-Wan whose "powers are weak" when he confronts Vader). We don't know anyone's midicholorian count to the individual midichlorian (as far as I recall), but it still introduces the notion of quantification of powers instead of general "You're strong/not strong enough in the Force" or whathaveyou.

The ST gets farther away from that, and calls into question much of what the Jedi believed to be the case, which in turn calls into question the absoluteness of the "rules" established in the OT...which I think were never really all that absolute.

The "will" of the Force -- where it controls your actions -- is mentioned in the OT. It's not considered sentient or like a consciousness that's deciding "Hmm...I think I'll create a new vergence today. But first...a Force-danish..." But it's considered almost "alive." And that's the thing about the OT and especially ANH -- the Force is described in really ambiguous terms that suggest an ultimate lack of understanding of it, or at least that suggest that the understanding expressed is not itself the final word on the matter.

It's kind of like applying human concepts to the idea of divinity. If something is omnipotent and omniscient and omnipresent, then presumably its experience is beyond that of humanity. Therefore, applying human concepts like emotions or human goals is ultimately pointless. You might end up getting to a similar end point, but you won't be right about "why" things got there. So, the Force could "will" Anakin into being as an element of balance, but it may be doing that to balance the numbers of Jedi, or it may be doing that to balance how people experience the Force. We don't know. The Jedi thought Anakin was going to destroy the Sith, and they were right...but they missed that he'd also destroy the Jedi.

Right-- and if we all personally pick and choose what aspects we like and which we don't, you can't really debate somebody who is using on screen evidence and tell them they are wrong just cause you don't like it.

Well, you can if you are honest enough to say "Sure, I mean, I exclude that from my head canon, but I won't deny what's on the screen or what it suggests." Or, for that matter, if someone wants to discuss solely what's seen in the films, I'm happy to do that, or to include other sources, as long as we are clear about what's in and what's out up front. Head canon aside, I've found most people on here are capable of doing that.

Anyway, I think the ST doesn't do nearly as much to actively contradict the OT as compared to the PT, but it does suggest that the OT might only be a partial description of the Force, rather than the final word. Likewise, the PT -- even TPM -- can be made to work if you look at it from the perspective that (1) the statement about midichlorians was the Jedi's interpretation of things, and (2) they may have been wrong and thought correlation = causation. In other words, the midichlorians don't, like, filter the Force or whathaveyou, but they are present in greater numbers in Force users and particularly in stronger Force users. But they don't cause you to have Force abilities, so, no, a blood or organ transfusion won't grant you magical powers, and anyway it's not really that important and was part of the Jedi's more bureaucratic tendencies prior to their fall.

It's also a belief held by his Mother..who was...you know...THERE for it.

So there's that. :lol

She does seem to believe it but to me it makes more sense that Darth Sidious is Anakin's father ( thus the high force capabilities at a young age) and wiped it from her memory. I find it more logical for the story and really like the idea that Sidious was playing the Jedi order as fools for a long time. Its just the way I view the story without breaking continuity with the OT. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong about what's on screen or official canon.

She does seem to believe it but to me it makes more sense that Darth Sidious is Anakin's father ( thus the high force capabilities at a young age) and wiped it from her memory. I find it more logical for the story and really like the idea that Sidious was playing the Jedi order as fools for a long time. Its just the way I view the story without breaking continuity with the OT. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong about what's on screen or official canon.

I don't actually think the "virgin birth" breaks continuity, per se. I just think it seems jarringly out of place in a space fantasy film to have a ******-like figure. Kinda like how I felt the whole "God did it" thing in Battlestar Galactica felt really out of place, even though weird coincidences kept on happening. Technically, it didn't "break continuity" to do that. It just felt really out of place to me, given the genre.

In Star Wars, I've come to accept it more while simultaneously embracing the notion that the Force is really only partially understood in the films, and that there's more to it than what we've heard explained on screen.

I was actually kinda hoping we'd be moving away from the light/dark dichotomy and towards allowing for "Gray" Jedi, with the focus primarily being on things like how one uses the Force and how one relates to emotions. The old notion of "Emotion = dark side / dispassion = light sight" and "using these powers is always evil / using those powers is always good" seems kinda limited and simplistic.

Aw, a few days away from the forum, and I miss all the fun stuff... :popcorn

Where were you all during the pages long “TLJ bombers” ultra-tangent over in the Kathleen Kennedy thread, though? Endless fun, it’s got the same moving goalpost arguments, screencaps against unsupported statements, and opinions masquerading as facts that we’ve seen here! Oh boy! :lol

I’m guessing it can all wait until the next very specific TLJ complaint thread surfaces. I’m not sure what hasn’t been covered, but I’m sure it’ll be something. :lol

I’m guessing it can all wait until the next very specific TLJ complaint thread surfaces. I’m not sure what hasn’t been covered, but I’m sure it’ll be something. :lol

The Last Jedi went back in time and murdered my childhood, then came to the present, climbed in my window as I slept and kidnsapped my child. PROVE ME WRONG

The Last Jedi went back in time and murdered my childhood, then came to the present, climbed in my window as I slept and kidnsapped my child. PROVE ME WRONG
I’ll do you one better. I’ll prove you RIGHT, AND I’ll prove that it was all part of a plot by Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson! They’re out to ruin things, don’t you know! They’re ruiners! I’ll also prove that RJ’s true name isn’t “Rian” at all, that’s a fabrication. He was born as “Ruin Johnson.”

How could we have been so blind?

Beware! Secure your loved ones! :darnkids

Exactly. At the very least, it would lead to a kind of stagnation in how the stories get told, if not necessarily the subject matter of the stories. Part of what works about, say, the Harry Potter books is that the experience of the reader (or viewer in the sense of the films) is constantly expanding. There's a real "newness" to everything that happens, even as there's core familiarity with the ground rules. As Harry gets exposed to more and more of the magical world, so does the audience, and that expands the audience's understanding of the world. The new pieces all still basically fit with the established rules, but things expand.
This principle of a perpetually world-building narrative, on the level of an individual film, is also what made the first film, "ANH" such an arresting experience for the 1977 audience. If you want to put yourself in the shoes of someone watching Star Wars for the first time just lay out the narrative of Star Wars. At first you think the whole movie might take place on Tatooine. Next thing you know the uncle and aunt are dead and he has to go to Mos Eisley. Then we're in space. Then we're on the Death Star. You barely had enough time to catch your breath before being thrust into a new place with completely new concepts right up until the final battle where we see X-Wings in action. The cast of main characters also increases across the movie. At first it's only a story about a couple of droids ... then it's about the droids and Luke who discovers them. Then Obi-Wan .... you get the idea. ANH never settled on its premises - it never stopped building on itself right up to the very end.

The PT -- at least with midichlorians -- contrasts the prior experiences, which go from being mystical and almost being about the potential of the person's mind to being much more concrete, measurable, and almost mathematical. "Oh, sorry. Your midichlorian count is below 800. You'll never be able to lift that X-wing." Something like that. Now, in fact all it's doing is applying the barest concept of a "number" being assigned to Force strength -- and people have differing "strengths" in the Force in the OT (although really people are only ever "strong" in the Force, except for Obi-Wan whose "powers are weak" when he confronts Vader). We don't know anyone's midicholorian count to the individual midichlorian (as far as I recall), but it still introduces the notion of quantification of powers instead of general "You're strong/not strong enough in the Force" or whathaveyou.
The very notion of the Skywalker lineage being "the chosen" people is a violation of the universal concept of The Force as established in ANH. Luke was introduced as someone with whom the audience is supposed to relate - an "everyman" who learns that the key to perseverance in a vast universe lies in opening up his mind and spirit to limitless possibility. Through that we feel we can do the same.

While ESB gave us one of the best plot twists in movie history - It did so at the cost of Luke's universal relatability.

The Force in ANH inspired kids to imagine they can unlock limitless potential with belief and will. But, from ESB forward, and for generations of kids that grew up with ESB and RotJ The Force really unlocks limitless potential .... only if you are a Skywalker.

The notion of midichlorians epitomizes that miserable idea.

Last edited:
This principle of a perpetually world-building narrative, on the level of an individual film, is also what made the first film, "ANH" such an arresting experience for the 1977 audience. If you want to put yourself in the shoes of someone watching Star Wars for the first time just lay out the narrative of Star Wars. At first you think the whole movie might take place on Tatooine. Next thing you know the uncle and aunt are dead and he has to go to Mos Eisley. Then we're in space. Then we're on the Death Star. You barely had enough time to catch your breath before being thrust into a new place with completely new concepts right up until the final battle where we see X-Wings in action. The cast of main characters also increases across the movie. At first it's only a story about a couple of droids ... then it's about the droids and Luke who discovers them. Then Obi-Wan .... you get the idea. ANH never settled on its premises - it never stopped building on itself right up to the very end.

The very notion of the Skywalker lineage being "the chosen" people is a violation of the universal concept of The Force as established in ANH. Luke was introduced as someone with whom the audience is supposed to relate - an "everyman" who learns that the key to perseverance in a vast universe lies in opening up his mind and spirit to limitless possibility. Through that we feel we can do the same.

While ESB gave us one of the best plot twists in movie history - It did so at the cost of Luke's universal relatability.

The Force in ANH inspired kids to imagine they can unlock limitless potential with belief and will. But, from ESB forward, and for generations of kids that grew up with ESB and RotJ The Force really unlocks limitless potential .... only if you are a Skywalker.

The notion of midichlorians epitomizes that miserable idea.

I never got that feeling from ESB, ( born in 72 so I was FULLY immersed with my 3 Bros), I figured Luke was particularly strong in the force like his father but there wasn't any "chosen one" stuff in ESB. I saw it like inherited athletic ability or potential. The Skywalkers weren't presented as some lineage of savior's born from the magical will of the Force. Just force users that were particularly special since the force was a legendary concept at the time and most people during the OT had never seen a Jedi or the force being manipulated. To me the things that made Luke heroic were the personal choices he made, not the will of the (lightside) force guiding his moral decisions, conversely, Darth Vader is villainous because of his choices and not because of an external will of the (darkside) force guiding his choices. The potential for greatness or a tragic fall lies in the person not with the Force.

I never got that feeling from ESB, ( born in 72 so I was FULLY immersed with my 3 Bros), I figured Luke was particularly strong in the force like his father but there wasn't any "chosen one" stuff in ESB. I saw it like inherited athletic ability or potential. The Skywalkers weren't presented as some lineage of savior's born from the magical will of the Force. Just force users that were particularly special since the force was a legendary concept at the time and most people during the OT had never seen a Jedi or the force being manipulated. To me the things that made Luke heroic were the personal choices he made, not the will of the (lightside) force guiding his moral decisions, conversely, Darth Vader is villainous because of his choices and not because of an external will of the (darkside) force guiding his choices. The potential for greatness or a tragic fall lies in the person not with the Force.

I was there with ya' and saw all 3 films during there original theatrical release. And I can tell you... no one in school that I came in contact with even debated this issue. The Force did not seem to us, at the time, somehow different or inconsistent among the 3 films. If anything, it just seemed like Luke was maturing as he learned more about its power and his abilities. I think this was best illustrated in the Wampa ice cave. Where he reaches out for his saber with the Force. As a kid, I can remember that being an ability not yet revealed, but it was not jarring to see Luke pull it off. And by the ROTJ Ewoks / Luke and Leia scene, where Luke reveals his (and her) lineage, and tells Leia that she has the power (Force) too, and that she must carry on when (if) he dies, the thought definitely was that it was inherited from their father (Vader).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back