Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

So, wait. Just to be clear here: your issue is with what exactly?

1. Luke and Rey being magical orphans?

2. Rey being equally as capable as Luke?

3. Luke being capable himself?

4. The sources for ones abilitie vs the others?

Sorry, but the theatrical cuts of Star Wars or ANH existed for 20 ****ing years. Some of us, many of us I'd wager, are old enough to remember the original theatrical cut(and the various home video cuts pre-'97) which didn't include the scene with Red Leader saying that Luke would be a good pilot. Those same people will likely see Luke as specially gifted primarily because of the Force, rather than having somehow "earned" his ability to fly a starfighter as opposed to an airspeeder, which apparently isn't the same thing.

You wanna claim that Rey has power that is bestowed by dint of the script. I'm saying Luke is the original "Because the script says he's the hero" character. If you take issue with Rey, then you take issue with Luke. Part of the reason why complaints that TFA is a rehash of ANH are because Luke and Rey are basically gender shaped interchangeable characters in terms of their abilities.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My issue is the fact that Rey is good at things, she has never done before in her entire existence.

She maybe very good at scavenging and taking care of herself, but flying a ship? Nope.
Welding a lightsaber, like she's had some kind of secret training? Nope.
Using 'The Force' but not fully understanding what it is or how it really works???

Rey does these things, as if she has been exposed to them before, which makes this all seem ridiculous!

Luke was acknowledged as being a pilot, which he pretty much confirmed himself. #T-16 #Woomprats. Now, if that doesn't tell you anything about Luke's ability as a pilot, then your denial has consumed you.;)

She maybe very good at scavenging and taking care of herself, but flying a ship? Nope.

It's a stretch to ASSUME that being at the controls of a ship is something he has "never done in her existence." If you're going to presume that she had a life and experiences prior to the events of the film, which your statement seems to do, then you also must acknowledge the CANON revelation that she trained on simulators to learn how to fly (a fact which has been mentioned in this thread previously, but virtually ignored because it doesn't fit your narrative).

We literally IN THE FILM see her being good at combat.

Even though Finn didn't defeat Kylo, he still held his own far better than he had any right to if we are to assume that a lightsaber is so incredibly difficult to wield. Yet he is given a pass for not immediately dying at the hands of Kylo, but Rey is not.

Using 'The Force' but not fully understanding what it is or how it really works???

Oh, using abilities she doesn't understand fully? Sort of like Luke using the Force to call his lightsaber to him, despite never before having seen that power demonstrated or mentioned?

The point being, BOTH Luke and Rey fall into the trap of being just really good at things because they are the wish fulfillment heroes of the story. Accept that in both, or deny that in both. But it makes no logical sense to embrace one and reject the other.

Couple things...

The quoted Red Leader/Biggs dialogue from the script isn't exactly what made it into the Special Edition. In the SE, the scene plays out:

RED LEADER: Skywalker! [Luke looks over from his conversation with Biggs] ...Think you can handle one of these? [gestures at X-Wing]

BIGGS: Sir, Luke is the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories!

[computer-massaged jump over intervening dialogue]

RED LEADER: You'll do all right.

[computer-massaged jump over remaining dialogue]

Red Leader's delivery was more natural than what was in the script, but Lucas' editing of the scene made the whole more awkward than ever.

As for Rey, she had flown, including the Falcon, but never offworld. Here, we get back into pre-production bleeding into production. The larger context was ditched late in pre-production. In additon to her speeder, her AT-AT home was going to be more decked out with awnings and whatnot, and she was to have had a self-built "Ugly" cobbled together from various wrecked craft. But almost at the last minute, JJ decided to make her existence a lot more spartan and less comfortable and settled. But the script wasn't changed. Also, remember she was familiar with the Falcon, but was making for the quadjumper. I'm gonna hazard a guess she knew how to fly it. :p

Luke had been being kept largely under wraps by his aunt and uncle. He grew up as a farmhand with a junky old jalopy of a speeder and an airspeeder I'm guessing didn't break the bank if penny-pincher Owen actually sprung for it. The family seemed to be doing okay, if not particularly wealthy. Rey was left with Unkar Plutt when she was about 8, learned what she could from him, and struck out on her own somewhere in the intervening decade. Probably earlier than later, if the hatchmarks in her AT-AT are any indication. She protected herself and procured her transportation and home herself. Luke's value was in helping his uncle run the farm and fend off Sandpeople. Rey's was in how quickly she could learn to scavenge, clean up her salvage, and otherwise be of use to Plutt (including his work on the Falcon). The skillsets each would have had to develop would not have been the same. Hers would lean far more on combat and piloting skills than his. She most definitely did not have the same caring support structure pre-movie that he did.

My issue is the fact that Rey is good at things, she has never done before in her entire existence.

Rey does these things, as if she has been exposed to them before, which makes this all seem ridiculous!

Luke was acknowledged as being a pilot, which he pretty much confirmed himself. #T-16 #Woomprats. Now, if that doesn't tell you anything about Luke's ability as a pilot, then your denial has consumed you.;)

Sorry, are you relying on the T-16 expertise mentioned in the film and nothing else? Or are you relying on the wookieepedia articles about the T-16 and its relationship to the X-wing? Because either way, Rey and Luke are still basically the same in terms of their remarkable abilities coming from nowhere aside from "I dunno. The Force?"

The wookieepedia article on Rey, which I quoted above, explains how she trained herself on simulators, crawled through starships, and taught herself languages, which is why she can fly and fix the Falcon, and understand Chewbacca and BB-8. It's not just because she's a Mary Sue. Likewise, the wookieepedia article on the T-16 explains that it was similar to the T-65 in its controls, which is why Luke was able to fly an X-wing as well as he did and isn't a Gary Stu.

Of course, if you ignore the wookieepedia articles altogether, then you're left with the film where Luke's ability flying a T-16 airspeeder has....nothing to do with being able to fly a T-65 starfighter. In other words, he's good at it for no real reason other than the script needs him to be or because he has magical powers. Same story with Rey if you ignore the wookieepedia articles.

In terms of combat, we have zero indication as to why Luke should be capable of dueling Vader with a lightsabre, even if we accept that Vader was toying with him to try to capture him. At most, we have the one (1) training sequence on the Falcon where Luke blocks blaster bolts -- which he never even does again until ROTJ when he blocks the speeder bike's blaster shots at him on Endor. Beyond that, he receives literally no lightsabre training or demonstrates any aptitude for melee combat ever. So, again, he's just...good at stuff because the script requires him to be or because he's got magical powers from the Force. If people want to fill in mental blanks about how "Obviously, Obi-Wan trained him" or "Obviously, Yoda trained him," that's fine, but you can make the same mental leaps with respect to Rey about how "Obviously, she's capable of fighting with the sabre because she's already demonstrated melee combat abilities with her quarterstaff." If you start picking that apart by pointing out how different a quarterstaff is from a lightsabre, then (1) you have to apply the same logic to the T-16/X-wing issue for Luke, and (2) you can't go assuming that Luke learned his fancy fightin' skills from either Obi-Wan or Yoda. All you're doing in that instance is mentally filling in blanks. Either you do it for both characters, or you do it for no characters.
Zuiun also notes how Finn, too, shows considerable melee skills, being capable of briefly dueling Kylo Ren with a lightsabre. This is in spite of being a janitor, which you wouldn't expect to include a ton of intense hand-to-hand combat training. And yet, nobody's wasting hours editing youtube videos to bitch about how "unearned" Finn's skills with a lightsabre are. Finn also demonstrates considerable technical aptitude at least with respect to Imperial craft, including understandings of how a secret hyperspace tracking device would work. Why is nobody complaining about that, especially when they complain about Rey's technical aptitude? Oh, right. It's because Finn was a space janitor, which means that of course he'd know about complex engineering details on top secret projects. Everyone makes certain to train their janitors about that sort of thing, right? That sure seems like another mental leap to me, but nobody's willing to do the same for Rey who has been crawling through starships apparently for ages just so she could find scrap to trade for food.

If a space janitor gets a pass for swinging a lightsabre with any amount of competence and also gets a pass for knowing the ins and outs of Imperial starships and technical details, then Rey does too. Now, maybe folks will say "Oh, well, that's just another example of bad writing in the new films." But again (1) the same "bad writing" applies to Luke, and (2) isn't it interesting that people aren't making extensive videos about Finn's "unearned" abilities or referring to him as a "Gary Stu"? What might it suggest that one's mind just kind of casually glides over Luke and Finn's "unearned" prowess, but not Rey's?

:confused

Last edited by a moderator:

painful, isnt it?

"Luke never had any training," you keep hearing. But we know he did. We saw the movie. "Exactly the same as Rey," you keep hearing....Nope. Refer to Vader not wanting to kill him vs Rey's instamastery, etc.. belky shots from a fixed gun on the millenium falcon...vs Kenobi even mebtoring from the dead.

CW, your arguments are completely valid.

Have you noticed the only way they can defend their points of view is by denying or telling half-truths? They are so shsmeless as to disregard what actually happened in the OT.

Deny deny deny until it is too late to change or undo. Ever seen anyone use that tactic before?

And then they want you and me to keep spending money on Star Wars, because we both know, Disney took bullet-proof Star Wars and are now losing money.

Your spirit is awesome! We are trying to save Star Wars. And feel good knowing you did so being honest.

painful, isnt it?

"Luke never had any training," you keep hearing. But we know he did. We saw the movie. "Exactly the same as Rey," you keep hearing....Nope. Refer to Vader not wanting to kill him vs Rey's instamastery, etc.. belky shots from a fixed gun on the millenium falcon...vs Kenobi even mebtoring from the dead.

CW, your arguments are completely valid.

Have you noticed the only way they can defend their points of view is by denying or telling half-truths? They are so shsmeless as to disregard what actually happened in the OT.

Deny deny deny until it is too late to change or undo. Ever seen anyone use that tactic before?

And then they want you and me to keep spending money on Star Wars, because we both know, Disney took bullet-proof Star Wars and are now losing money.

Your spirit is awesome! We are trying to save Star Wars. And feel good knowing you did so being honest.

Seems like some seriously delusional fans of Rey on here. But hey, whatever floats their boat! I will not be seeing Star Wars EP.9 - The Force Implodes On Itself. Can't waste my money or time on hack story writing.

It's a stretch to ASSUME that being at the controls of a ship is something he has "never done in her existence." If you're going to presume that she had a life and experiences prior to the events of the film, which your statement seems to do, then you also must acknowledge the CANON revelation that she trained on simulators to learn how to fly (a fact which has been mentioned in this thread previously, but virtually ignored because it doesn't fit your narrative).

Show me the scene when she mentioned using a "simulator" during her years on Jakku and you'll have a valid point!:thumbsup

We literally IN THE FILM see her being good at combat.

Even though Finn didn't defeat Kylo, he still held his own far better than he had any right to if we are to assume that a lightsaber is so incredibly difficult to wield. Yet he is given a pass for not immediately dying at the hands of Kylo, but Rey is not.

That was just trying to show the bravery of Finn and works for him. He proved he's not a coward after all.

Oh, using abilities she doesn't understand fully? Sort of like Luke using the Force to call his lightsaber to him, despite never before having seen that power demonstrated or mentioned?

The point being, BOTH Luke and Rey fall into the trap of being just really good at things because they are the wish fulfillment heroes of the story. Accept that in both, or deny that in both. But it makes no logical sense to embrace one and reject the other.

Did Obi-Wan not tell him of "The Force"? Did time pass between ANH & ESB? Rey didn't have a mentor in her corner, but Luke did.

Staff skills are different that sword/fencing...so false equivalency.

Rey used a simulator...I see her in her spare time with a helmet on her head and her ration filling a bowl. Did we see her repairing anything other than BB8's antennae? The millenium falcon is "gawwwbuhj" but she just knows how to fix a shields and bypass the compressor and needle it through a star destroyer husk. Too much unaccounted for insta-mastery.

Not only do we have to explain the OT to people who like TLJ, we have to explain TLJ to them as well. Canon matters until they ignore it. The definition of what "canon" means has even become flexible.

...talk about desperate.

EDIT: Yeah, I k ow I mentioned events from TFA. It only got worse in TLJ

Last edited:
Show me the scene when she mentioned using a "simulator" during her years on Jakku and you'll have a valid point!:thumbsup

Show me a scene where the T-16 is explained as being a trainer for an X-wing or where the controls are suggested as being remotely similar.

You've already relied in information on Wookieepedia to explain why Luke being able to fly an X-wing isn't an example of him being "naturally talented." You pointed to the Wookieepedia page on the T-16, which states that it had controls which were extremely similar to those of an X-wing, which therefore enabled Luke to easily adapt to flying an X-wing.

You then discount the exact same source, which lays out a ton of Rey's background by claiming "Oh, well, it wasn't a scene in the film."

Well, neither is the stuff with the T-16 being a trainer for the X-wing in the film. It's not stated explicitly, and it's not implied.

Luke's comment about shooting womprats isn't about "I can fly an X-wing." It's about "I can shoot a target that's only 2m large." The best you could argue is Biggs' statement from the 20-years-later SE that Luke is a good bush pilot, and therefore can handle himself in an X-wing, but we never see him fly the T-16 even. We see him play with a model of it, and we can make out a parked one in window behind him. Literally all we have is Biggs saying he can do it, and then him doing it. That's no different from Rey saying "We've got a pilot," when they're running for the ship on Jakku. You might try to argue that "Oh, well, that's different because someone else vouched for Luke, whereas Rey says it about herself," but that would be more about calling into question the veracity of the statement itself, and in both cases, the character then actually demonstrates their ability. Rey doesn't gain her ability to fly by just saying "I can fly," the same way Luke doesn't gain his ability to fly because Biggs says he can. They're both capable of flying, and indications of their capabilities are both provided to the same degree just before they actually demonstrate that ability.

And if you look back at the non-SE version -- you know, the one that made all the money and existed for 20 years before Lucas got a bee in his bonnet about throwing in some useless scenes -- there's literally nothing to suggest that Luke should be able to fly an X-wing prior to him doing just that.

So, again, either both are equally magically gifted and have abilities as the script requires, or both have their ability telegraphed ahead of time in the same way. OR you're relying on the same external source (Wookieepedia) which justifies both of their abilities because it states that (1) the T-16 had similar controls to the X-wing, and (2) Rey trained on simulators.

Pick a standard and go with it. Either way, it leads you to the same conclusion. The only way it doesn't, is if you're using double standards just to try to prove that you're right.

That was just trying to show the bravery of Finn and works for him. He proved he's not a coward after all.

Watch the scene again. Finn ignites the lightsabre blade at about 0:22.

True, he doesn't last long against Kylo -- only about 20 seconds or so. But it's clear from the sequence that Finn at least has some skills in melee. In TLJ he beats Capt. Phasma in a similar melee fight, again demonstrating his melee abilities.

So, a space janitor can go toe-to-toe with a stormtrooper captain and win....and nobody bats an eye because Rey is the problem?

My guess is you don't even notice Finn's abilities. Even in a film like TLJ that you may hate, where you pick apart every little nagging detail, everything that wasn't perfectly explained, every bit that "doesn't make sense," and when you complain about Rey's melee combat abilities....you never even once considered "Hey, how come Space Janitor Finn has so much technical knowledge, and how is it that he's able to beat the crap out of Phasma? Where the hell did he get his abilities? He didn't earn them and the film never showed anything about him having such abilities! He's a Gary Stu!!!"

Show me the myriad threads talking about Finn's apparently inexplicable combat prowess, the endless videos complaining about how good he is and how come he's able to beat Phasma even though he says in TFA that Jakku was his first combat mission. Show me all of the endless analysis about how ridiculous it is that a space janitor knows everything about Imperial starship technology, and is skilled in using melee combat weapons or firearms.

Can you show me that? Have you even seen such arguments offered before? I sure haven't. Nobody seems to care that Finn is good at a ton of stuff too, even though he has no reason to be. My guess is nobody even really noticed it. The same way nobody stops to ask why it is that Luke Skywalker: Farmboy is capable of manning a turret on the Millennium Falcon and take out two enemy fighters when he's had no training at that either. Nobody is sitting around writing lengthy screeds about the obvious plot holes in ANH that allow Luke to be such a Gary Stu and have abilities that he has no business having.

Again, double standards. One for Rey, one for everyone else, apparently.

Did Obi-Wan not tell him of "The Force"? Did time pass between ANH & ESB? Rey didn't have a mentor in her corner, but Luke did.

Show me the scene when Luke trained with Obi-Wan after he died during the years between ANH and ESB and you'll have a valid point!:thumbsup

Pick a standard, man.

Look, if you dislike TLJ and/or TFA, that's perfectly fine. I'm not here to try to change your mind about your subjective experience of a movie. I think both films have flaws, and they're legitimate to discuss. But this whole "Rey is a Mary Sue" thing? It's bulls**t. If Rey's a Mary Sue, then Luke is a Gary Stu, and so is Finn. Hell, so is Rose, who apparently -- in spite of being a non-combat engineer -- is able to shoot a gun with decent accuracy and pilot a ski-speeder. Oh, and ride a weird horse-deer....thing (I forget what those things were called).

Orrrrrrrrr....maybe Luke and Rey are "magical orphans" because that's what these stories are about: characters with amazing special abilities that come from this magical Force which we don't really understand that well. Or maybe it's even simpler than that. Maybe the characters in these stories -- like Luke, Rey, Finn, and Rose -- can do all of this stuff because that's just how Star Wars movies work. They have big damn heroes doing big damn heroic things, and sitting around questioning why Rose can use a ski-speeder or why Finn can use a lightsabre at all or why Rey can do anything she can do is really just people looking to justify their gut reaction of "I don't like it" when it comes to the new stuff. Groovy. Go ahead. Don't like it. Don't pay to see it, don't buy the merchandise for it, don't play the video games about it, don't read the books, don't buy the toys, don't have anything to do with it. But don't also waste your time trying to write up justifications for why big damn heroes in a big damn heroic movie are somehow using "unearned" abilities that the big damn heroes in the other big damn heroic movies did and which never bothered you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that it's worth the time it takes to continue this conversation. Dan laid it out with more patience and tact than I could muster and ya'll are just cherry picking which points you want to talk about. Whatever. You do you. I think I'm out of gas for this thread.

I couldn't agree more. I have not been posting in this thread but I have been following it and find that for some people nothing will change their minds so it is a waste of time to even try.

BINGO! Luke even talks about shooting womprats. Whether driving a Bentley or a yugo, the controls are similar. And anakin in a pod...he worked in a junkyard and built stuff.

Thanks, CW, its as if folk who like tlj didnt see any prior Star Wars movies.

*BUT* Rey who never flew anything, flies the Millenium falcon through a star destroyer. She blind side aims a bellygun at a tie fighter.

EDIT : @ Zuiun, Your argument killed itself... HARD!

As I said before, no amount of evidence is enough.7

How do you know Rey never flew anything? How do you know this?

If you actually listened to the dialog in TFA, you'd know that not only had she flown plenty of ships (though none off-world at that point) she also was the one making repairs to the FALCON for Unkar Plutt, and also hand built her own speeder.

To me that sounds rather like Luke's previous experience on tatooine.

And Luke never fought with a sword before, either. In fact, he got his ass knocked out by a Tusken Raider. Rey could already hold her own in a fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Snoke would have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling kids and that wookie!

Alliexpress crystals are just like Sony. Just no waranty.

Kylo doesnt have a cape, it is a careful weave of ForceBack Hair.

No, *NOT* a weave. Stop it!

You know what I mean. Real Force Backhair.

You also disregard Kylo's army of Force bananas. They will come out in the deleted scenes in the titanium box edition, but it was found to be "too intelligent" for most audiences.

Rey has gnashed teeth look down almost as gooder as Kirsten Stewart's hyperventilates or blank stares.

While I get this is your attempt at random humour, it comes off as...well, nonsense.

Of course, nothing in the films ever makes any connection between the T-16 and the X-Wing. That's all ancillary material that was, if I remember correctly, originally added with the West End Games Star Wars Role Playing Game, and which helped explain Luke's familiarity with the X-wing when otherwise he'd just be magically good at flying and wouldn't have "earned" his ability. But, since we've now established that Wookieepedia is a valid source, rather than something external to the films and therefore invalid, I'd like to post a few points of interest here.

First, regarding Rey's melee abilities, specifically with a quarterstaff:

Regarding her being "good at everything," especially with respect to linguistic skills, knowledge of people and events, piloting abilities, and mastery of technical specs for starships:

Although it isn't mentioned in her wookieepedia article, apparently the Last Jedi novel explains that Rey effectively "downloaded" a large number of abilities from Kylo Ren during his mind-probe of her. Now, normally, I'd discount what doesn't appear on the screen, but hey, since apparently it's fine to cite to wookieepedia -- which itself also incorporates off-screen events from things like novels and comic books -- then I think it's fair game to say that much of Rey's power comes as a result of the explanation contained in the Last Jedi novelization, which explains:

All of this suggests that Rey isn't just some "Mary Sue," and that her abilities actually come as a result of her experiences.

Compare all of that to Luke, whose wookieepedia page only references him training in the use of a lightsabre (1) with Obi-Wan on the Falcon, and (2) with some training remotes that he found in another temple and with Obi-Wan's instruction for a few days. Everything else with respect to his training never mentions lightsabre training specifically. Yoda trains Luke, but it doesn't say that he's trained to use a lightsabre.

Likewise, Rey's entry discusses how Luke trains her, but he also doesn't seem to teach her any lightsabre abilities.

So, basically, neither of them has much by way of formal training with a lightsabre. They're apparently good at using it because of their respective incredibly strong connections with the Force. Much like they're good at a lot of other stuff.

Of course, if wookieepedia isn't really a reliable source, because it includes a whole range of things that never appeared or were explained in the films, then we're left with even more by way of these two characters being "magical orphans." We also can't claim that flying a T-16 is anything remotely comparable to flying an X-wing, nor can we claim that Obi-Wan did more than give Luke a 10 minute lesson in blocking blaster bolts with his sabre, with that being LITERALLY the only melee combat training he ever has, as opposed to Rey's apparent ability with her quarterstaff at least demonstrating some ability for melee combat, albeit not one that would directly translate into lightsabre skill.

Either they're "magical orphans" with similar "unearned" abilities (one might argue both Mary Sues/Gary Stus), or there are explanations for both of their levels of ability and everything else they basically get from incredibly strong connections to the Force.

Which is a long way of saying that this entire debate about Rey's ligthsabre abilities is basically just another way of bitching about how she's a Mary Sue, which is a stupid argument in the first place laced with unconscious sexism, because Luke is just as much of a Mary Sue as she is and CAN WE PLEASE MOVE THE **** ON FROM ALL OF THIS?!

download.jpg

Luke having flight experience was the point. We get nothing of that from Rey in TFA until she hops in a piece of gawwwbahj and whips it through a star destroyer. So Rey has access to gutted Star Destroyer challenge mode on her simulator. The ship she ignores because it is "gawwbuhj" happens to be one she trains really really hard on....right. she collects stuff that looks neato for scant rations, but inside a piecw of "gawwbuhj" she' Maru Sue engineer. Sheesh! Give us a break! Luke took some hits going against the death star, so, even with experience, he took lumps getting to where he was.

Someone ask for more info, we go to wookie because someone refuses to believe Luke's admitted flight training was helpful. Even after that, they refuse to accept it. So, you are focused on the wrong person if you are calling out disingenuous behaviour.

So yes, Mary Sue. Complete Mary Sue.

Cherry picking aspects of different arguments to create a false one to defend a position is just a dodge. Just like trying to reset an argument or ig oring gross differences in experiences to claim similarities

Sad how people ask for an explanation, get one, then refuse to accept it.

Someone ask for more info, we go to wookie because someone refuses to believe Luke's admitted flight training was helpful. Even after that, they refuse to accept it. So, you are focused on the wrong person if you are calling out disingenuous behaviour.

Soooo.... you completely accept Wookiepedia's explanation for how Rey learned her abilities, then?

Last edited:
And your explanation of how you see things as a win or lose explains the denial CW and I have witnessed. ;)

He didn't say he sees things as a win or lose... he said YOU seem to see things that way.

Now you've also graduated to Gaslighting. Great job. :thumbsup

Luke having flight experience was the point.

You're quick to point out the distinction with Rey's quarterstaff experience not mapping to lightsabre experience.

Explain how Luke's atmospheric flying ability maps to space combat abilities.

If "flying is flying," then "fighting is fighting."

If quarterstaff != lightsabre, then T-16 != X-wing.

If wookieepedia is an acceptable source to explain that T-16 = X-wing, then it's acceptable as a source to explain Rey's flying abilities, too.

Pick your standard and stick with it. Go ahead. Say which one you're picking.

We get nothing of that from Rey in TFA until she hops in a piece of gawwwbahj and whips it through a star destroyer. So Rey has access to gutted Star Destroyer challenge mode on her simulator.

Just to be clear here, you're accepting that wookieepedia is a reliable and valid source for information on Rey.

The ship she ignores because it is "gawwbuhj" happens to be one she trains really really hard on....right. she collects stuff that looks neato for scant rations, but inside a piecw of "gawwbuhj" she' Maru Sue engineer.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that what you were trying to say is that you disbelieve that Rey trained effectively on a garbage ship that hadn't flown in years, but which she could apparently fly with ease.

From Wookieepedia:

Inside the walker, Rey also had a computer display from an old BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bomber that she used to learn alien languages, study the schematics of Republic and Imperial starships, and run flight simulations in order to hone her skills as a pilot.

The Wookieepedia entry never states what she trained to fly, or whether she limited her training to any single type or class of ships. It references a Ghtroc 660 freighter that she flew after salvaging it, but which was stolen from her and that she kept training after that.

Sheesh! Give us a break! Luke took some hits going against the death star, so, even with experience, he took lumps getting to where he was.

Rey took hits, too, while flying the Falcon and banged it against the ground a couple of times in the process, which suggests that perhaps she wasn't quite as adept at flying as you see her to be. Luke took literally no hits, except having R2 shot by Vader while he was trying to line up his shot on the Death Star. He would have been killed by Vader if Han hadn't flown in at the last second to save him, however. But prior to that, he showed literally zero difficulty in flying and was shown successfully strafing the Death Star after no training whatsoever in an X-wing.

Of course, if "flying is flying" and his training in the T-16 allowed him to fly in an X-wing, then Rey's training on the flight simulator allowed her to manage a shaky flight in the Falcon, and your Mary Sue argument falls apart. Unless, of course, Luke's a Gary Stu as well. If they're both just Mary Sue/Gary Stus, then hey, fine. At least we're applying a consistent standard.

I'm calling out your disingenuous behavior because you're unwilling to stick to a single standard. Wookieepedia is acceptable in one instance, but not in another? You say you pointed to wookieepedia to prove your point. You then apparently reject info from the same source which proves that Rey had training, too.

That's disingenuous. Coupled with your snotty tone, that's trolling, I'd say.

So yes, Mary Sue. Complete Mary Sue.

If Rey's a Mary Sue, then Luke is a Gary Stu. I'm fine with that. Or I'm fine with both of them having had training and having equally "earned" their abilities. I'm cool with whichever single standard you want to apply. But I'm not cool with double standards used to back up an otherwise bull**** argument, especially when you toss in snarky asides while you do it.

Cherry picking aspects of different arguments to create a false one to defend a position is just a dodge. Just like trying to reset an argument or ig oring gross differences in experiences to claim similarities

Sad how people ask for an explanation, get one, then refuse to accept it.

Everything you wrote in the above-quoted portion applies perfectly to you. You either know this and are intentionally trolling, or you're completely unaware which would be...well...

latest?cb=20170710124242.gif

Oh...! Thank you SOOO much for saving Star Wars for us all! What would we have done without your steadfast vigilance??!!

THANK THE MAKER!!! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh... here's a very telling statement you've just made. Reducing the importance of establishing Rey as one who can hold her own in a fight was apparently "only to show the bravery of Finn" and not at all to establish combat skills for our Heroine.

Tell me THAT isn't sexist. :behave

- - - Updated - - -

Staff skills are different that sword/fencing...so false equivalency.

Rey used a simulator...I see her in her spare time with a helmet on her head and her ration filling a bowl. Did we see her repairing anything other than BB8's antennae? The millenium falcon is "gawwwbuhj" but she just knows how to fix a shields and bypass the compressor and needle it through a star destroyer husk. Too much unaccounted for insta-mastery.

N

She knows how to fix things on the Falcon because that's what Unkar Plutt had been forcing her to do most of her life.

And if you want to say that knowing how to fight is meaningless unless it is with the exact weapon you are used to.. i think you have no concept of what melee is all about in the first place. the weapon is the tool, but the fighting know-how comes from the person. And if they know how to fight--and have a fighting spirit--that is going to help them much more in adapting to a new weapon than if they had no previous melee experience at all.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back