Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

I saw no problem with Rey's abilities in TFA. JJ literally stopped an action scene earlier in the movie to insert clunky exposition as to why Kylo didn't immediately dispatch Finn and Rey. Look at what Chewie's bowcaster can do, send multiple storm troopers flying through the air! Kylo, after having been shot with it, even makes the audience aware of his injury throughout the fight.
Let's also not forget that Rey has spent her entire life surviving alone on a hostile planet, whereas kylo has mostly lived a life of safe privilege as the son of a princess, so she has an edge when it comes to scrapiness.
I do agree with a lot of the criticisms leveled at TLJ though.

The problem lies in poor writing.

The problem lies in people who love tlj claim to want a discussion, but when faced with an indisputable error, inconsistency, failed story-telling, breaking how things work, they refuse to agree.

You post a response, thry dont post, " gee thanks!" Nope, instead you get a change in subject or " I stand by...*clearly wrong*"

We've both noticed, they make out-of-context observstions or tell only half the truth when trying to draw a comparisson. Did they even watch the movie?!?! How much is Disney giving them for this? How does embracing bad story-telling make a better product?

Just take the win.

Seriously, when folks have to deny a long accepted fact in the Star Wars universe because it doesnt suit them, you aren't dealing with a rational human being.

On another thread I mentioned how Star wars has become identity politics...diss Rey =sexist, Finn =racist, Rose =sexist and racist. It is the absolute lowest rung of intellectual laziness.

The problem lies in people who love tlj claim to want a discussion, but when faced with an indisputable error, inconsistency, failed story-telling, breaking how things work, they refuse to agree.

You post a response, thry dont post, " gee thanks!" Nope, instead you get a change in subject or " I stand by...*clearly wrong*"

We've both noticed, they make out-of-context observstions or tell only half the truth when trying to draw a comparisson. Did they even watch the movie?!?! How much is Disney giving them for this? How does embracing bad story-telling make a better product?

Just take the win.

Seriously, when folks have to deny a long accepted fact in the Star Wars universe because it doesnt suit them, you aren't dealing with a rational human being.

On another thread I mentioned how Star wars has become identity politics...diss Rey =sexist, Finn =racist, Rose =sexist and racist. It is the absolute lowest rung of intellectual laziness.

I have to agree. The denial is... most illogical.:facepalm

I see that more as establishing that Luke is the son of an excellent pilot. (It's also a really clunkily-scripted scene, which is probably why it was cut.)

And since it was cut, we get exactly the same info about Luke and his piloting abilities as we get about Rey. And we end up having to turn to external, not-in-the-finished-film sources for background info on both of them, which explains their familiarity with the ships they fly and their overall skill.

While some of the original script above was cut, Biggs still states in the final film that, "Luke is the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories" in response to Red Leader inquiring whether Luke can handle the x-wing, that's pretty big praise. Red Leader's response by smiling confidently and saying "you'll do alright", just further instills confidence that this is plausible. I still think Luke's ability to fly a ship is a bit more defined in ANH then Rey in TFA.

The problem lies in people who love tlj claim to want a discussion.....Just take the win.

The point of a discussion is not to "win" -- it is to DISCUSS. And therein lies the problem with just about everything you've said in this thread. You don't want a discussion. You want to be right, so you either continue to repeat yourself despite what anyone else says, or you attempt to shut down discussion with a claim of victory.

The point of a discussion is not to "win" -- it is to DISCUSS. And therein lies the problem with just about everything you've said in this thread. You don't want a discussion. You want to be right, so you either continue to repeat yourself despite what anyone else says, or you attempt to shut down discussion with a claim of victory.

That's laughable. I actually directed someone to an answer on a page prior rather than repeat myself, and though they posted on that page, they didnt want to go back and read.

Gee, sounds like people are asking for the repettion.

And your explanation of how you see things as a win or lose explains the denial CW and I have witnessed. ;)

While some of the original script above was cut, Biggs still states in the final film that, "Luke is the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories" in response to Red Leader inquiring whether Luke can handle the x-wing, that's pretty big praise. Red Leader's response by smiling confidently and saying "you'll do alright", just further instills confidence that this is plausible. I still think Luke's ability to fly a ship is a bit more defined in ANH then Rey in TFA.
Uh...that's in the special edition, yeah, but it wasn't in the theatrical version. In the original cut -- the one most people here probably grew up with -- Red Leader never meets Luke. We don't even see him without his helmet on. I didn't even know that guy had hair until 1997!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just take the win.

Actually I think I'd make a case for the lowest rung of intellectual laziness to be assuming your point is unassailable and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong, on Disney's payroll, or calling you a bigot.

Uh...that's in the special edition, yeah, but it wasn't in the theatrical version. In the original cut -- the one most people here probably grew up with -- Red Leader never meets Luke. We don't even see him without his helmet on. I didn't even know that guy had hair until 1997!

With the availability of the Despecialized and Silver Screen versions, there's no excuse to continue watching the SEs. That scene is unnecessary and pretty jarring really, but maybe that's because I grew up on the original. IMO, It's no wonder it wasn't included in '77.

Really??? Special Edition vs. Theatrical version. Ok, I'll tell you what! When the "SE" of TFA comes out and there's a deleted scene explaining everything Rey can do, I'll happily jump on your bandwagon. Deal?

Actually I think I'd make a case for the lowest rung of intellectual laziness to be assuming your point is unassailable and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong, on Disney's payroll, or calling you a bigot.

As I already stated, "denial is *not* a point. ;)

With the availability of the Despecialized and Silver Screen versions, there's no excuse to continue watching the SEs. That scene is unnecessary and pretty jarring really, but maybe that's because I grew up on the original. IMO, It's no wonder it wasn't included in '77.

"Jarring" is a good word for the scene. It doesn't really add a ton to the film, and it interjects itself in a moment that doesn't matter. At most, it establishes Luke's connection to Biggs, but it doesn't really do so effectively because they cut the scene of Biggs showing up on Tatooine before Luke leaves. So, here's this random dude who shows up and talks about the good times they had back home, then they meet another dude who starts off as skeptical, and then says he knows Luke's father and therefore is confident in Luke's abilities. Like...what? WTF? Why...why would you ask Luke if he's capable if you already know who his father was? And if his father's abilities are what make you confident, why do we need his buddy saying what a great pilot he is? The whole thing just plays really...oddly and seems like it would fit the "B-movie" that Star Wars could have been, instead of the classic it ended up being.

Really??? Special Edition vs. Theatrical version. Ok, I'll tell you what! When the "SE" of TFA comes out and there's a deleted scene explaining everything Rey can do, I'll happily jump on your bandwagon. Deal?

Deal! Because there won't be a Special Edition of TFA. Also because I don't need Rey's abilities to be explained to me. I'm fine with both her AND Luke being "magical orphans."

I literally had no idea what this Red leader dialogue discussion was about until Dan mentioned it was the SE.

It's from the original script and appears in the NPR radio drama and again in the SEs. It was shot for the film, but cut, and only reappeared in '97 with the SEs. And much like the "Jabba in Docking Bay 94" scene, you can see why Marcia cut it.

Deal! Because there won't be a Special Edition of TFA. Also because I don't need Rey's abilities to be explained to me. I'm fine with both her AND Luke being "magical orphans.

tenor.gif:lol

So, wait. Just to be clear here: your issue is with what exactly?

1. Luke and Rey being magical orphans?

2. Rey being equally as capable as Luke?

3. Luke being capable himself?

4. The sources for ones abilitie vs the others?

Sorry, but the theatrical cuts of Star Wars or ANH existed for 20 ****ing years. Some of us, many of us I'd wager, are old enough to remember the original theatrical cut(and the various home video cuts pre-'97) which didn't include the scene with Red Leader saying that Luke would be a good pilot. Those same people will likely see Luke as specially gifted primarily because of the Force, rather than having somehow "earned" his ability to fly a starfighter as opposed to an airspeeder, which apparently isn't the same thing.

You wanna claim that Rey has power that is bestowed by dint of the script. I'm saying Luke is the original "Because the script says he's the hero" character. If you take issue with Rey, then you take issue with Luke. Part of the reason why complaints that TFA is a rehash of ANH are because Luke and Rey are basically gender shaped interchangeable characters in terms of their abilities.

If you take issue with Rey, then you take issue with Luke. Part of the reason why complaints that TFA is a rehash of ANH are because Luke and Rey are basically gender shaped interchangeable characters in terms of their abilities.

Exactly this.

Rey *is* incredibly capable...because that's what the story calls for. Just as that's what the story called for in Luke's case.

I'm fine if people want to be upset with magically capable characters. What I'm not fine with is the double standard of being upset with one and giving a pass to the other. It's a very telling mindset.

There are those in this thread calling out so-called leaps of assumption to explain or justify Rey's abilities, while not acknowledging they are doing the exact same thing to justify Luke's.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back