Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

CWDevine

Legendary Member

The guy has some valid points! I'd guess Rey's skills would be bad, since she wasn't "officially" trained (Or was she???). Though, she did beat Kylo, which is still odd. Thanks J.J. Abrams!:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
How many separate threads on TLJ do we need?

source.gif

I just wanted someone to walk across and clock him behind the ear with a rattan stick at the end.

Just imagine Luke as a British women without yoda or obi wan. Who happens to find a lightsaber and has exponential skills, because she’s independent and strong. Who can also move a large amount of rocks that probably add up to the weight of an X Wing.
Just my thoughts, but she shouldn’t have beaten Kylo Ren at all. Especially in The Last Jedi Ripping the graflex in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting guy, but…

1. Wish he’d EXPLAIN more and huff ‘n puff ‘n pfft a little less. He probably wasted a third of that video’s length just groaning.

2. STOP moving back and forth for no reason! Walking towards and way from teh camera just making exasperated noises is NOT interesting.

I watched TLJ last weekend, and that final light saber battle was so silly I fast forwarded. Had to put in some Kurosawa to clean my palate of the dog poop flavour in my mouth. Someone should’ve made Mary Sue spend a weekend watching Kurosawa and Zatoichi films.

Lightsaber fighting style itself is completely nonsensical in that it shouldn't need to emulate any sort of swordfighting whatsoever. Since the blade has no weight and no edge you don't need to apply as much strength behind a strike. Practical lightsaber fighting really should look more like modern fencing than kendo, iaido or wushu.

Rikki Gervais talking sword fighting. Hmmm.

We all know she should have lost to Kylo. If Rey had a sword as a weapon, had a finishing move that showed proficiency, THEN it would have made sense.

Kylo deflects lasers...heck, he freezes them in air!!! But nope, gurr powah prevails.

He lost all credibility when he said martial arts dont use that stance. The one known as sitting stance in TKD, horse stance in Kung fu, kebu dachi in Karate and sha no kemae in Samurai, just off the top of my head.

He lost all credibility when he said martial arts dont use that stance. The one known as sitting stance in TKD, horse stance in Kung fu, kebu dachi in Karate and sha no kemae in Samurai, just off the top of my head.

What he is saying is during a fight, no one would use that stance. It puts you at a disadvantage, especially during a sword fight!

She doesn't use it in a fight, just in training, in the very clip he shows to boot.
Even when training with a sword/boken, horse stance isn't used. Either Rey has no idea of what she's doing or the person who was hired to train her, has no idea of what they are doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
CWDevine;4496461Either Rey has no idea of what she's doing or the person who was hired to train her said:
You're preaching to the choir there. Possibly the worst fights of any movie I've seen.

However, in that OP video he states no martial arts use that stance, which is wrong, most do. Primarily for training, which is what she is doing in that segment he is criticising. But it can be used within combat, it can be slipped to and from easily from walking stance. It's not a primary ready stance, but that is why martial arts have so many, to accommodate where the feet land at any given point in a fight.

You're preaching to the choir there. Possibly the worst fights of any movie I've seen.

However, in that OP video he states no martial arts use that stance, which is wrong, most do. Primarily for training, which is what she is doing in that segment he is criticising. But it can be used within combat, it can be slipped to and from easily from walking stance. It's not a primary ready stance, but that is why martial arts have so many, to accommodate where the feet land at any given point in a fight.

I clearly understood what he's saying about that stance. Maybe he's trying to rush through to make his point, but in weapon fighting that stance is not used. I used to take up martial arts and that stance is used, but not when training against someone with a weapon. Doesn't make sense to practice using a stance, that makes you a sitting duck.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back