Creature monster mask (latex) original design

Jediknightandy

not sure if there is any interest in this forum for original designs but thought I would share this personal project I have been working on for the past week. Its a very quick half monster mask of a weird alien guy.
Sculpted in water based clay, moulded in plaster and then cast out a latex mask which I backfilled with soft expanding foam to make it easier to paint. This cast is intended for display, I am working on another color scheme that will be a wearable one for me to wear in the office at Halloween.
Thanks for looking!

Sculpture and progress
PRYoINJ.jpgUdh0Glu.jpgView attachment nMNgClA.jpgView attachment wwgXumt.jpg

Raw latex casting
f0T2gJu.jpg

paint progress and final color scheme
ibU47j1.jpgokqQVMF.jpgfpd3Cos.jpgWuH91yN.jpgNqwlBGz.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, I really appreciate them!
I'm currently painting up a few more variants of the mask, playing with different color schemes. I will be posting them here soon so stay tuned.
In the meanwhile here are some bigger and more color-accurate pictures of the one seen above.

Also, does anyone know if there are any active forums or sites online for mask makers to share their work?

Cheers!
andrew-hamilton-20180721192444-img-6089.jpgandrew-hamilton-20180721192405-img-6085.jpgandrew-hamilton-20180721192514-img-6092.jpg

I found a paint tutorial by Evan Campbell on deviant art on mask painting, the first layer is a 50/50 mix of pros aide glue and liquitex acrylic paint, stippled on with a sponge. Then subsequent layers are watery mixes of the acrylic paints, or acrylic inks. Thin watery layers cling to the tacky pros aide glue layer and thus there are no cracks when the latex is moved.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back