Help Needed with Jocasta Nu’s Lightsaber Rifle

Wraith

I am new to prop-making, and I currently lack the skills, the tools, and the expertise needed for this project. I’m willing to learn, which is why I’m here. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

I want to create a replica of the Jedi lightsaber rifle/blaster that Jocasta Nu used against Vader in the Darth Vader comic book series.

1F46C0FF-7FBC-4C4B-A95F-ADE79FA47803.jpeg

Here are the components I think are involved:
  • Wood (or replicated) rifle stock
  • Lightsaber hilt (empty to save cost and weight, but could be used to house the batteries)
  • Decorated barrel (hollow for electronics)

I want to take this to conventions, so obviously, I need to make sure that this cannot be mistaken for a real weapon.

My current plan of attack for this project:
  1. Find an appropriate lightsaber hilt. This will set the proper scale for the rifle.
  2. Create working electronics for the entire project. Lights, sound effects, triggers, batteries, etc.
  3. Find and/or create decorative pieces (blue oval shapes, the ornate barrel, etc.)
  4. Draft a cutting pattern for the stock. Have an expert do the cutting, hollowing out of spaces for electronics, and decorative carving.
  5. Stain and paint the pieces. Insert electronics. Final assembly and testing.

Aside from the rifle stock, which will probably need to be wood to support the other pieces, what materials do you suggest?

Should I try to find a way to 3D print the decorative part of the barrel? If so, how do I go about that process and which material would be best for such an intricate design?

Does anyone know a good source for the oval pieces? I’m thinking they should be clear with blue LEDs behind them, but I’m open to other options.

Thanks in advance!

To my knowledge there has never been a commercially available version of her saber. There are good detail shots in some Clone Wars concept art.
Personally, I'd use a wooden stock and pvc pipes for the barrels then have the other part 3d printed.
There are groups on facebook where you can commission a modeler. You could even crowd source the design. Work with a modeler who would get like 25 people to pitch in $10 so you don't have to pay a large amount yourself.
ABS plastic or petg would be fine for printing. I wouldn't recommend PLA because it warps in the heat.

Thank you so much! I had no idea that such groups exist, and I didn’t even realize that the Clone Wars would be a good place to look for more details about her lightsaber.

Holy cow, that's quite an intricate design.

Can't wait to see this finished!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

It’s such a cool design! It is going to be a long-term project for me, but I know I’ll enjoy the process.

I plan to update this this thread as I go along. I am still in the research phase, but it’s nice to know I can commission modelers and artists to help along the way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back