Cartridge Conversion for a non-firing replica gun

Nick6314

Hello all, this is my first post, I'm searching how to modify a Denix non-firing replica gun, a Colt M1851 Navy Revolver in this case, here's the link of the product that I have: American Civil War Navy revolver, USA 1851 - Revolvers - Western and American Civil War 1861-1899 - Denix

I will post photos later. And I want to do a Richards-Mason Cartridge Conversion, with a loading gate, for fake .36 caliber Denix bullets, like the pic of a real revolver down here:
Colt1851cartridge.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks.

I would be very careful about trying to put a charge through a DENIX replica.
The Denix is created out of a soft metal and if you want to put any kind of explosive charge through the cylinder and barrel, the replica is likely to break apart causing injury.

While there are modern cartridge conversion kits for the real versions (whether replica or antique) of cap-and-ball pistols, those kits (not the pistols) are regulated and require being purchased in person from someone with a Federal Firearms licence. Assuming one of those kits can be mounted on a non-firing replica, you certainly wouldn't want to put live ammo in it. I'm sure you know all that and want a non-firing replica cartridge conversion kit. However I'm pretty sure they do not exist. As such, you're probably looking at a custom job with the parts being machined or cast.

That is exactly what he said.

A good point, I misunderstood what was said..

I assume the Denix you refer to is replica of a cap and ball 1851 and that you want to convert it to a cartridge capable replica - as per the Richards-Mason Conversion ?

I have never seen that specific Denix personally, but I do own a 1851 Colt Navy and because the Denix steel is soft, I suspect it would be possible to modify the cylinder to carry the cartridge but you would need to repair the recesses where you remove the cap nipples and not damage the engraving. The other challenge would be in creating the loading gate and machining the gap and hinge system for the gate itself.

Assuming the replica strips apart in the same way as a genuine one does, because the cylinder is engraved, it would not be possible to replace it with another - cartridge-ready - one so, if you are not able to do the steel modifications yourself I suggest you see if you have a gunsmith near you who might take up the challenge.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the RPF Nick. They don't come apart like the real guns do. Having taken some denix guns apart, and many real world guns. I've modified them for various prop related reasons. It usually involves having to add screws of your own at some point.

They're not really intended/designed to be taken apart or modified, so just keep that in mind Nick.

They require a lot of work. Adding a loading gate, etc will require a lot of work that the soft metal may not agree with. I've had frames crack, and frames melt. I've had it fill my taps. And coat brand new sanding wheels after just a few seconds.

So, they can be a real pain in the butt. The particular model you have I have never tinkered with, but I wish you luck.

Hello all, this is my first post, I'm searching how to modify a Denix non-firing replica gun, a Colt M1851 Navy Revolver in this case, here's the link of the product that I have: American Civil War Navy revolver, USA 1851 - Revolvers - Western and American Civil War 1861-1899 - Denix

I will post photos later. And I want to do a Richards-Mason Cartridge Conversion, with a loading gate, for fake .36 caliber Denix bullets, like the pic of a real revolver down here:
Colt1851cartridge.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks.
Hard to do on Denix..I would get a PFC japanese cap gun..they make this model..cart cons are beautiful revolvers..good luck Pard ..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back