Kenner Squid Head Costume Build

camprandall

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, so I started in on Amanaman and realized it was a ridiculous costume for a human to attempt to wear (and be accurate) so I shifted my attention to Squid Head - the Kenner action figure version. He's goofy, very identifiable, and kinda humanoid so that's all I needed! It's also been an excuse to learn some new tricks Let's get 'er going!

Here's an outline of the approach:

• Head - 3D printed
  • Hands - Clay sculpt + 2 part mold + latex + paint
  • Chest - Clay sculpt + 1 part mold + latex + paint
  • Belt - Foam + 3D print fabrication
  • Skirt - Sewn from fleece
  • Cloak - Sewn from fleece
  • Top - Sewn from vinyl
  • Gun - 3D printed
  • Boots - Vinyl wrap

-3841694323883374828.jpg

Squid Head belt V4 with letter B.jpg

Bespin blaster V5 grey.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so the two things I started on first were the 3D design and some sculpting. For the head and gun, I decided I didn't want to fight 3D design myself and instead sent the figure off for scanning, which worked out pretty well. We'll see how the prints come out as I had to scale and skew it a bit and it ends up being over 400 hours of print time, which is a little nerve wracking. Thankfully my pal Jerry Budde is taking that on since he's far more proficient than I. When it's all done, I'll cut it into a clam-shell type fit, try to get some kind of view holes it there, paint it with latex, etc.

View attachment 830983

one of my favorite characters, I hope to see the result.

Yeah, I love the original goofy alien figures. :)

More updates...

The next step is to start with the hands since I have to try a few new things to get them done (sculpting, molding, casting, etc). I casted my hands with alginate so that I could get a general sense of size and proportion.

IMG_4816.jpgIMG_4821.jpgIMG_4825.jpg
IMG_4887.jpgIMG_4884.jpgIMG_4881.jpg

Last edited:
I also like the original aliens more than the new ones, and years ago I made a helmet from Squid head but I had to sell it later.

I was thinking of sculpting the belt to get that wonkiness to it, but it's just too big and too much material, so I made it with foam sheets, 3D prints for the big distorted discs, and foam dowels split in half for the ribs. I then sealed it with a heat gun, sprayed a full can and a half of plasti-dip and then airbrushed it with a grey/silver latex color. It came out pretty cool and it wears in the same fashion as the real belt. ;)

IMG_4936.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG
IMG_4943.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG

Did some painting last night. It's starting to look like something! I'm going to be working on the fabric parts today with the help of my local friend, Marissa Rich.

IMG_4960.JPG
IMG_4961.JPGIMG_4962.JPG

Thanks guys!

Today, we made the skirt. It's so breezy that I finally understand why women wear them all the time. :)

IMG_4963.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG

Here's a little scale for you. ;)

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back