DROPDEAD clothing using RPF members Jurassic Park artwork?

Rymo

Sr Member
There is a clothing company called DROPDEAD clothing that has recently released a Jurassic Park themed clothing line.

I was looking at one of their products called the UNIX hoodie, and I noticed that some of the artwork looks strikingly similar to some work cyrix9445 and I uploaded to the RPF paper props forum back in 2010. I'm specifically referring to our re-creations of Nedry's computer screen graphics.

I compared the DROPDEAD design to screengrabs from the JP blu-ray, and they don't 100% match the graphics shown on-screen in the film. But, it appears that they DO match the graphics we posted here on the RPF.

Most notably are the areas where my Photoshop skills were pretty sloppy, and my line work was crooked and the spaces between lines was uneven. Here is a comparison of the work that we posted here, and the graphic that appears on the DROPDEAD hoodie. I've highlighted the areas where my uneven line work matches the hoodie. The crooked lines don't appear like that in the film.
comparison.jpg

I just wanted to bring attention to this because if a company is going to create custom clothing, and profit off of it, the least they could do is put the effort into making their own artwork instead of using stuff that we've uploaded here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you notified the company of your observations? Top brass might not be aware, could have been a rogue artist getting lazy and stealing your stuff.

When you posted your artwork to The Forum, did you say that it was open for anyone to use?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

When you posted your artwork to The Forum, did you say that it was open for anyone to use?

I never explicitly said that those graphics were open for anyone to use. But, the general rule of the Paper Props section (which is where those graphics were posted) is that fans are free to download and use the graphics for PERSONAL use.

For me, it’s more about the principle of the issue. The fact that a company potentially took free work from the RPF and is using it for profit is what annoys me.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you notified the company of your observations? Top brass might not be aware, could have been a rogue artist getting lazy and stealing your stuff.

I have not.

I never explicitly said that those graphics were open for anyone to use. But, the general rule of the Paper Props section (which is where those graphics were posted) is that fans are free to download and use the graphics for PERSONAL use.

For me, it’s more about the principle of the issue. The fact that a company potentially took free work from the RPF and is using it for profit is what annoys me.

I don't blame you for being frustrated and upset, but the reality is these types of design shops typically look to cut corners and will steal whatever they can to make their life easier, and reduce cost of having to hire a designer would take more of their personal time to do it.

I don't agree with what they did and I would definitely contact company as a basic principle. you need to make sure that the rules of the form of clear that they're there for personal use and not-for-profit otherwise you don't have anything to stand on.

Also keep in mind that many times these clothing companies are small and the designer is the owner. They'll likely give you a hard time about coming after them or if they're decent about it the shutdown the offering. If they have a lot of money invested in spinning up the initial offering of the clothing then to be harder to get them to withdraw the sale.

Ultimately if you can prove that it's yours and not for people to use for financial gain as per the rules of the form, you have a ground to stand on it to ask them to cease and desist order pay you for your design work

I don't blame you for being frustrated and upset, but the reality is these types of design shops typically look to cut corners and will steal whatever they can to make their life easier, and reduce cost of having to hire a designer would take more of their personal time to do it.

I don't agree with what they did and I would definitely contact company as a basic principle. you need to make sure that the rules of the form of clear that they're there for personal use and not-for-profit otherwise you don't have anything to stand on.

Also keep in mind that many times these clothing companies are small and the designer is the owner. They'll likely give you a hard time about coming after them or if they're decent about it the shutdown the offering. If they have a lot of money invested in spinning up the initial offering of the clothing then to be harder to get them to withdraw the sale.

Ultimately if you can prove that it's yours and not for people to use for financial gain as per the rules of the form, you have a ground to stand on it to ask them to cease and desist order pay you for your design work

One of the guidelines of the Paper Props section says “These paper props are being offered by the membership to the membership for free. It is a violation of the MGL to attempt to sell any of these items.”

That’s the closest thing I can see that would apply. I’m not interested in being reimbursed or in taking legal action or anything like that. I honestly just want the company to know that what they did is a ****ty thing to do. Because if they’re stealing RPF material, its possible that they’re stealing content from other unknown online creators as well.

Last edited:
Warning the brass is the one thing to do. If there's radio silence from their side you should be more "forceful" in your wording! Good luck.

In your reference back to the paper props forum, you state:

I modified the original screen images by Cyrix9445 and added some additional graphics

If that means you used screen used graphics from the movie, then they’re not only stealing from the RPF and you, but from the studio as well.

This is an endless fight. Reality is that you don’t own the property so they won’t listen to you. For a while, people were successful pulling stuff from eBay, etsy, etc., but most sales sites have stopped caring. I can tell you a bunch of members here who currently have their stolen stuff from the paper section, for sale right now. They tried to take action, and they were unsuccessful. They more or less just accept that it will happen and they have given up the fight. It sucks, it really does, but outside of consequences here on the board (getting banned), the rules and fine print of this forum and free paper forum, mean nothing to anybody else. The more sales made through a site like eBay, Amazon, etsy, the more money in their pockets. They don’t care about anything else as you do not own the propery or trademark. Now if you were the license holder or the studio who owns the property and you contact them, they would take action.

This is an endless fight. Reality is that you don’t own the property so they won’t listen to you. For a while, people were successful pulling stuff from eBay, etsy, etc., but most sales sites have stopped caring. I can tell you a bunch of members here who currently have their stolen stuff from the paper section, for sale right now. They tried to take action, and they were unsuccessful. They more or less just accept that it will happen and they have given up the fight. It sucks, it really does, but outside of consequences here on the board (getting banned), the rules and fine print of this forum and free paper forum, mean nothing to anybody else. The more sales made through a site like eBay, Amazon, etsy, the more money in their pockets. They don’t care about anything else as you do not own the propery or trademark. Now if you were the license holder or the studio who owns the property and you contact them, they would take action.
Yeah, I know. It just stinks that we try to be a community of creators “by fans, for fans” but then that concept is always taken advantage of or exploited in some commercial way. I appreciate all of the work everyone does here and even though I suppose our art could be considered “intellectual property” of the applicable movie studios, I’ll always feel led to fight for our creations.

The angle to use is not that they stole from you. You need to notify the studio that a company is selling unlicensed Jurassic Park memorabilia. You won't get anything, but they'll stop using the graphic! When the company realizes we'll rat them out they won't steal from here anymore.

If it's any consolation, the owner of Drop Dead Clothing (Oli Sykes, the lead singer in Bring Me to the Horizon). Is actually a big JP fan. Not condoning it, but he actually might appreciate the design and might not just be a cash grab.
oli1.pngoli2.jpgoli3.jpgoli4.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back