Johnny Mnemonic "Heaven" helmet prop - restoration / cleaning

notpickard

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

Forum lurker, first time poster. Please correct me if I'm not posting in the right place or some other breach of etiquette.

I have acquired the helmet prop from the film Johnny Mnemonic. I have taken a couple of quick shots.

Johnny Mnemonic helmet - right side 7-16-18.jpgJohnny Mnemonic helmet - front 7-16-18.jpg.jpgJohnny Mnemonic helmet - film front 7-16-18.jpg

What I'd like to do is restore the piece and document the process on this thread. Both to provide details for others that may want to replicate the helmet and to get tips from the RPF members on how best to go about the restoration.

I am a n00b at working on a prop like this. The first thing I'd like to know is; What is the best way to take pictures of the piece so that it will be useful to others?

Should I be including a photo scale ruler in every shot? How much detail should I try to get into each picture while keeping it clear where the photo is relative to the whole piece?

As it goes on I will have some questions about trying to balance cleaning the piece but maintain the patina that, I think, the prop designer intended to be there. Also about fixing some of the mixed material broken elements.

Any feed back is welcome. However, if I don't get any I will muddle through and post what I can.

Thanks,
rdp

I agree that restoration may not be the best way to go. Preservation usually is the better option for props (aka only do work that stabilizes the prop). The item looks in great condition for such an intricate prop. A great place for props is also the https://www.facebook.com/groups/movieprops/ . I know many there would love to see the piece.

I have to agree with the other two. That piece looks to be in really good original shape has some great easily screen matched features. I would leave it as is unless there are parts that are decaying (like latex). Anything else you do would likely take away from it.

I don't usually comment in this section of the forum but I am a big fan of the movie and that prop is Awesome!!!!

I agree with everyone. Leave it be unless there are rubber parts that are disintegrating. If anything requires preservation/conservation, consult with experts. RPF Member Wampa comes to mind.

Now if you want to use it to develop your building skills, use it as a PERFECT and ACCURATE model to use to build a replica. Not everyone has such an opportunity. :)

KC

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back