The Star Wars Sourcebook

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683901487/

51zxwFaDMVL.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I bought a copy and started it about a week ago and it's been very insightful. As good as the Rinzler books are this one is a nice compliment to them as it goes into more detail and isn't quite so polished. Thus far I find it to be a more honest look at the films as there is an exhaustive amount of information (much of which I've never seen covered in official documentaries and articles) from sources that aren't tied directly to the production. So you'll have interviews from old issues from Starlog or some lesser known newspaper from 1973 that details George's early ideas for the films. You don't have as much insight from the production reflecting on it now 40 years on recalling (and subsequently changing their story -aka. George). You are getting the information chronologically as it was happening so the ideas and insights are fresh and clear.

Gary Kurtz has a blurb on the cover about how serious Star Wars and film fans should definitely own this in their collection and I could not agree more. Just flipping through it there was a well documented piece where they talk about how they did the lightsaber effects with John Stears and have actual interviews with him about how he achieved the practical effect on set with the rotating blades. All I recall from the Rinzler book was that Stears was the one who invented the technique but not much detail after that.

This is Volume 1 (1971-1976) and Volume 2 will go from 1977-1990. I'm looking forward to reading more of it and getting the second volume.

Star Wars fans! Do yourself a favor and get a copy of this! It's well worth it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back