Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park (1993)

Mike J.

Master Member
Put this together months ago in preparation for the 25th anniversary. Not super accurate; but not intended to be. More of a mid-grade replica.

From top to bottom:

Hat: Straw hat from eBay ($38), reshaped & painted, hat band added (see below). Not super accurate, and actually wearing a loaner in the photo below.

Hat Band: Horsehair braid from eBay ($23), painted. Pretty accurate.

Sunglasses: Foster Grant brand aviator-style, green lenses, gold-tone frames, from eBay ($8). Reasonably close.

Neckerchief: Red bandana from Target ($3). Pretty close, AFAIK.

Denim Shirt: From eBay ($17). Close enough.

Undershirt: Not gonna wear that in the middle of a Florida summer.

Wristwatch: My analog Seiko, with new brown band ($17). Not very accurate.

Belt: Men's dress belt (I think) from eBay ($11), close enough.

Belt Pouches: Old Leatherman sheath, from eBay ($15), dead-nuts accurate! Vietnam-era Alice-clip first aid / compass pouch from eBay ($6), accurate! Shovel holster, RPF replica ($28), very accurate! Shovel, no-name knock-off, eBay ($11), good accuracy.

Pants: Ralph Lauren Polo khakis from eBay ($24), very accurate, though not exact.

Boots: Walmart ($20?), close enough.

The components listed above are my current / final pieces. I started out with a few less-accurate ones, which I have since replaced. Spent more than I'd prefer to have, in total, but hindsight is always 20/20. If I was going to change any one thing at this point, it would be the hat (not shown). I could have gotten a more accurate one, I think, if I'd spent a bit more.

If you want any more details or have questions, please ask 'em.

This is a costume that can easily be put together quickly and cheaply (with a moderate degree of accuracy), for your summer / fall con season.

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_3010-1a.jpg
    IMG_3010-1a.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,708
Thanks for the breakdown. Mulling over some budget Halloween/Fall Con ideas for the girlfriend and I — Alan and Ellie are at the top of the list, so this was helpful.

Nice!

Now that I'm making those trowel holsters I really need to get some of the other pieces I'm missing together. Mostly the hat assuming I can find my alice pouch and leatherman sheath.

My advice on the hat would be to try and find a straw or cane 'outback hat' – 'Panama' hats are close, but not as good a match, I think.

My advice on the hat would be to try and find a straw or cane 'outback hat' – 'Panama' hats are close, but not as good a match, I think.

I ordered a hat that I'll need to get some pictures up when I get it. Looks like it has a ton of potential.

Also, what brand is that shirt you ended up with?

Cool!

It's odd, isn't it, that where I work three different employees drive those jeeps.

At first I thought I was seeing the same one, but I took photos of the license plates and saw that there are three different ones.

Plus a SECURITY jeep from the new movies.

I ordered a hat that I'll need to get some pictures up when I get it. Looks like it has a ton of potential.

Also, what brand is that shirt you ended up with?

The JP Jeep builders' club website breaks down not only the vehicle components (Jeeps + Explorers), but also costumes + props, which was helpful:

http://www.jpmotorpool.com/reference/cosplay/alan.html

They state the real shirt is a Ralph Lauren; my current one is an "American Blue" shirt, which has an (inaccurate) button-down collar. Aside from that, it's pretty close. Previously, I used an old denim shirt I already owned (less accurate). IIRC, I was searching the thrift stores, and eBay, using a string of search terms like 'denim long pockets' or something. Took a lot of looking, since I'm a smaller guy.

Here's a more recent pic of me (scowling like an idiot), with my own hat. Not a great pic, shirt's unbuttoned one too many, and I'm beginning to think the belt's too narrow, but dress belts like that are oddly hard to find. Meh.

Good luck to you!

Attachments

• IMG_3345a.jpg
    IMG_3345a.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 244
IMG_2693.JPG

Here's what I've got so far. The Carhartt shirt I found looks almost exactly the same; the color, the buttons, collar, pockets all look very close. Unfortunately, it's really big and I've been looking for a size smaller with no luck. I've got the hat, and compass pouch on the way too.

I'm also looking for the plaid shirt he wears at the beginning and that's been pretty tough too.

On the belt, (I've gotten pretty good at identifying belts since I've been making and selling a lot of them) it's definitely 1.25" wide. The style is raised (with the stitching on the sides) and brass buckle. I'm considering making my own but without the raised center and stitching (as that's a ton of work) assuming I can find a similar buckle to work from.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back