Dark Forces: Bryar Pistol (CAD files will be uploaded)

Are you going to be making this model available for 3D printing?

Yes I will share the .stl files when Im done with the build! I just wanna make sure there are no major problems with the prints so I have a chance to fix the files ;) and I will also upload the Mk2-files at the same time, but these are early works of mine, which means that the build is not optimized for printing!
Or do you mean the one with the chamfered front grip? I have not broken down that model, but I can share a file for the whole blaster!

Last edited:
Yes I will share the .stl files when Im done with the build! I just wanna make sure there are no major problems with the prints so I have a chance to fix the files ;) and I will also upload the Mk2-files at the same time, but these are early works of mine, which means that the build is not optimized for printing!
Or do you mean the one with the chamfered front grip? I have not broken down that model, but I can share a file for the whole blaster!

Would the chamfered front grip be compatible with the blaster model with the magazine? Also, when you upload the files will you be posting an announcement here?

I meant the one that you quoted (the one that I have not broken down into pieces!), and yes, I will link to a dropbox in this thread!

IMG_20180919_153215.jpg

I scrapped the idea of casting the grips, and cracked open my box of watermixable oilpaints!

To achieve my fakelite-finish I started off with a coat of matte spraypaint. I then gave the grips a thin coat of burnt umber. This "wet canvas" enabled a smooth blend of the following layers, which only consisted of titanium white mixed with the raw umber. The first, quite dark, application was applied in streaks. This was teased to blend the streaks in somewhat, while still retaining some dark spots. Then I added more white and applied it in smaller but more aggressive streaks, these were also blended in by teasing the paint around and gradually applying smaller and smaller streaks to tie the effect together. The last step was to add even more white and apply quite sloppy hard edge highlights and some stippling in a few areas!

Now I just need to wait about 2 weeks before I can coat the grips with some resilient satin clearcoat :D The grips and the barrel are supposed to be very similar in color according to my DF1 reference pictures... I think this balances it nicely, quite similar, but still a standard bakelite/wood-finish!

Last edited:
Really cool method for the faux Bakelite! I'd love to see this done in real time.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

IMG_20180927_002213.jpg

I think I have found my endgame regarding iron finishes:

The main problem is that most metallic spraypaints are quite "cold", has too little metallic content/too big particles, and you dont get any dimension to the paintjob.. but then it hit me: Why not use a medium metallic, and then spray it with some rearlight tint?? This has also the realistic effect of not being 100% even, it gives a slightly brownish color to the metal and you can vary how dark you want the end results to be!

Now I just need to apply some hard edge highlights and spray it with some satin varnish to tie it all together.

Really cool method for the faux Bakelite! I'd love to see this done in real time.

I can make a video of the process when the build is done and post it here! Just want to see how it turns out with some weathering applied ;)

IMG_20180928_164149.jpg
And this is how the pieces fit together this far, I'm really happy with the gunmetal finish!

Last edited by a moderator:
First reveal of the (almost) finished piece! The process was the same for all the pieces as for those above, and the blaster was actually a joy to assemble! I had one minor problem with the front grips alignment to the barrel shroud though: I messed up a bit with my tolerances... but it actually looks more natural, it adds a little misalignment that I find sells the illusion better.

What I also found out was that the pieces had to be assembled from the grip and then forward. I had not given the assembly enough thought when designing it, but sometimes you get lucky haha! It is currently in the weathering stages and Im mostly adding black and burnt umber oilpaints (and removing as much as I can). When I'm done with this, I will add the final (terrifying) coat of satin varnish that ties all the work together (or destroys the finish if something goes wrong). This means that it wont be long until I release the files.

The next part of the build will be to construct a box for storage and display, as well as to take some final pictures of the blaster!

IMG_20181021_140909.jpg

First reveal of the (almost) finished piece! The process was the same for all the pieces as for those above, and the blaster was actually a joy to assemble! I had one minor problem with the front grips alignment to the barrel shroud though: I messed up a bit with my tolerances... but it actually looks more natural, it adds a little misalignment that I find sells the illusion better.

What I also found out was that the pieces had to be assembled from the grip and then forward. I had not given the assembly enough thought when designing it, but sometimes you get lucky haha! It is currently in the weathering stages and Im mostly adding black and burnt umber oilpaints (and removing as much as I can). When I'm done with this, I will add the final (terrifying) coat of satin varnish that ties all the work together (or destroys the finish if something goes wrong). This means that it wont be long until I release the files.

The next part of the build will be to construct a box for storage and display, as well as to take some final pictures of the blaster!

View attachment 849976
That is a thing of beauty.

View attachment 849976
That is a thing of beauty. That is the blaster of a Star Wars gunslinger. Nice.

Really nice paint job!!

I hope you do a painting tutorial!

Detreut Thanks for sharing your awesome build! I'm looking to build one myself - what screws did you use for assembly? And also do you happen to have files for the cylinder with the magazine?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back