Great Scott! It’s another Hoverboard build thread...

Tried latex as a masking tool so that I could put the red paint on...

In hindsight, the black paint just wasn’t ready to be mucked about with. But it seemed okay. I should have known better.
The latex reacted with the black paint and the edges of the red paint did not go down well.

21dnzoj.jpg

24vk4k0.jpg

For the other one I used low tack masking tape. This went a lot better. But the black still needs reworking.

qp2wb6.jpg

I really need to learn extra patience when I get to the painting stage...

From a distance it looks passable I guess... But not to me.

33k8wgj.jpg

I will have to leave all of this for several days at least, for the paint to properly harden. Then I can go back and tidy everything up.
So, no updates for a while.

If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be off having a sob... :lol

As I have banned myself from painting for the foreseeable future. I have redone the top decal for the hoverboard, working off of the same design I mentioned before.
Was lucky enough to find an image of a hero prop hoverboard that was up for auction and there were a couple of good photos of the top side.

So, both of my decals are now fairly close to one of the movie versions (there were several!)
Guess today has not been a total waste then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Managing to stay away from the paint cans. Have printed out my redesigned decals onto high quality paper. 3 A4 sheets makes up one side. These were covered with adhesive clear book cover film to protect the finish and make it last. PVA glue was then applied to the board and the underside of each decal and then it was stuck on.

I have learnt my lesson and will not be looking at taking the masking tape off until tonight.

Making the holes in the decal to the existing screw holes for the clamps etc.

wldlol.jpg

Getting the masking tape on.

2j3qixx.jpg

Weighing it down...

14t31bp.jpg

Several hours later, let's do the top...

Protective film being carefully applied.

28223pc.jpg

All stuck together, let's carefully cut it up.

21dg77t.jpg

300fd6x.jpg

PVA glue watered down and brushed onto the board and decal. Decal placed and taped down.

2u763bq.jpg

Extra weight for good luck... After yesterday, I need some...

159d1l.jpg

I took the clamps and battery pack parts and left them out in the sun for several hours this morning. Don't know if they are any drier. They sure are bubblier...

What I can say for certain is that there will be a lot of rubbing down. FFS... :(

2hhlo48.jpg

Forgot to mention that my wonderful other half managed to source some green and pink velcro for the top of the board and some holographic-y sticky tape stuff for around the sides of the board.

Might try to put these on later perhaps. Let's see how the decals go first shall we? ;)

Oh my, almost forgot, I still have to make the foot hold thingy for the top yet. Anyone know where I can get some funky pink fur for the foot strap? :D

The paint job on the clamps was so badly done that it still hadn't cured. I was able to take it back to primer with a cloth and white spirit.

No pictures of that process! But here is a couple of the repainting...

350mqea.jpg

der53p.jpg

I am being a lot more sensible this time and taking my time. Lots of thin coats... :D

Are you using enamel paint? You could save a lot of drying time if you can switch to lacquer.
I've also used a heat gun to speed up the drying process for painting models, but you have to
be careful with it.

Are you using enamel paint? You could save a lot of drying time if you can switch to lacquer.
I've also used a heat gun to speed up the drying process for painting models, but you have to
be careful with it.

Hi, I think these particular paints are acrylic. I'm not sure. All I can remember at the moment is that they are rust-oleum brand. Cherry red and purple. Because I have been much more sensible in my spraying efforts, the clamps are already dry to the touch and the battery pack is not far behind. :thumbsup

And I have part masked the levitation assembly(?!) in preparation for the black paint. But as I said before it will have to be at least 1, maybe 2 days before I can mask off the red clamps with masking tape.
It looks and feels good at the moment and I am not going to screw it up a second time...

102jrps.jpg

The repainting of the levitation greeblies continues...
The black has now been applied.

2m4c3d2.jpg

118denr.jpg

Wait until dry enough to mask around the disc part and spray with the chrome paint.

In the meantime, I applied a coat of satin clear varnish to the underside of the board and previously glued down decal. As a protective layer.

Here it is after the varnish has dried and I dry placed the parts on to see what it looks like. Not too bad I think... Although I am feeling a touch of Deja Vu here...!

ifogvk.jpg

These parts need to be lightly rubbed down to get rid of some bubbles and minor imperfections. I'll wait until the paint has properly cured and then I will attack it with a sufficiency of rubbing compound.

ifogvk.jpg

In the (more) meantime the bits were taken off of the board and I flipped it over to varnish up the top side. This is currently sitting in the workshop drying.

farktx.jpg

In the other meantime, I have made the foot holder disk, stuck the green felt and velcro onto it. This is where I discovered that the velcro is a little less wide than it needs to be to cover the green lines on the top of the board and it is not quite the right colour.

2hchy0y.jpg

The other bits are absolutely fine and will be used in due course.

29gei3d.jpg

Best be checking Ebay and Amazon again...

Sourced some green velcro. It's coming from Germany of all places!

2k22xg.jpg

And I have bought some pink furry fabric for the foot strap...

ico4ci.jpg

Pretty well done, considering its your first time making a thing like that from scratch.

I've been working on making a hoverboard too, I might make a thread about it sometime.
I'm mentioning it because, I figured out some things while working on it which might help
with making one. Like, I only had access to white velcro locally and had issues buying it
online but found out that it could be colored by using highlighting markers which was a lot
more effective than I thought it would be, the velcro looks totally authentic and right color.

But yeah if you can buy the right color online then go for it, it may be a chore for some
to color the velcro straps with highlighting markers. Also I found out it only works with
some types of velcro. I also found a way to make synthetic fur from brushing acrylic yarn
which is also a chore but could be worth it if you have acrylic yarn around that you're not using.
Looks like you found a pretty good price for pink fur fabric, but I'm sharing this info anyway
in case others see fit to take advantage of what I found out.

I like the color, the smooth look and shine on the board's sides. I noticed the sideways color
thick lines on top and bottom which don't have letters on them have a similar color to the board's
sides (at least the main one which marty uses in the movie does)

All that said, I'm glad to see there's still interest in the hoverboard and thanks for showing
your progress with making one and keeping that look and feel alive.

Thank you both for the kind words.
It has been a bit of a slog, especially with my painting mistakes!
Even more, I am surprised that there has been such interest in this build at all. Given how old the movie is now. God I feel ancient... :D

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and for once it is not an oncoming train... ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back