Great Scott! It’s another Hoverboard build thread...

Managed to pull the casting out without too much bother but it is looking rubbish... But I placed it on the board and took a picture, just as a test fit.

etidcy.jpg

Looks about right I think.

Future planned work:

1) Route out channels beneath the battery pack so the clamps go under it
2) Take a silicone mould of the completed battery pack
3) Get painting all the cast pieces

When will it get done? I don't know, I'm making this up as I go... (Ten points if you know the movie!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Righty ho then...

I worked on some better decal graphics which were originally supplied by an RPF member named Roland. They are amazing, although I did have to redo them as my board does not seem to be quite the size that his decals will fit.
Unfortunately I could not just resize as it was not uniformly linear in both height and width.
In the end I had to get the background image sized correctly and rounded at the ends as needed. Then grab each piece of the graphics and resize/redesign so that they looked right and fitted my boards dimensions.
It took bloody ages, but luckily Photoshop and Foxit Reader did not let me down.
Obviously the top and bottom decals are a bit different in length due to the tail section. But I allowed for this in my calculations.

6zc6k4.jpg

This and the upper decal were printed off in posterised mode using Foxit Reader and I stuck 'em together so I could do a test fit.

The battery pack part which I cut out of 12mm MDF has had the silicone mould treatment...

i1i69d.jpg

30ky2hz.jpg

This was left for umpteen hours to cure and was then demoulded. At which juncture, I knocked up some polyurethane resin and poured that into the newly made mould.

j5lf1z.jpg

And lo, there was much rejoicing...

And here is the part, cured, taken out of said mould and test fitted with the other bits. Never mind the odd colour, I sanded it with sandpaper that had red dust in it!
Yes, that is the new decal underneath...

dyvbxg.jpg

It kind of looks like a hoverboard, no one is more surprised than I. :eek

That's about it really for today, thanks for tuning in... ;)

First coat of primer, and there are all the imperfections!

v4z5dv.jpg

Followed by slapping on the filler.

inr3fl.jpg

Then, the obligatory sanding to follow... Ho hum.

After studying my reference pictures of the prop board, I have come to the conclusion that the silver coloured part of the "plate" is not just the base painted. It looks as if there is another circular piece just a couple of millimetres in thickness, painted silver and stuck on.
It is really hard to tell, but I am sure it is that way.

So, this morning the hunt was on for something that would fit the bill.

Luckily I found a bit of 2mm white styrene which had enough so that I could cut out two circles with a 50mm radius, giving me about a 5mm gap all round the main base.

kbrswy.jpg

e03h9c.jpg

These were lovingly sprayed with a quick blast of red primer.

dg1ldw.jpg

For once, luck was on my side and there was no sanding needed as the styrene was sanded prior to the primer being applied. So I was able to give it a layer of chrome paint fairly quickly... And here they are. Came out fairly well.

2rw9cfa.jpg

These need to be glued onto the main plate after I have sprayed it up.

Started with a final very light rub down and washing the parts in washing up liquid to get rid of any grease spots.

2qchts0.jpg

Decided to start with the black, as I thought it would be easier to mask off for the red clamps later. Unfortunately, I think I was a bit heavy handed with the spray... Grrrrr.

There are no runs but there are some bubbles and the corners look like there has been some run-in... I will have to wait a long time before I can mask and paint the red for the clamps. My, fault, so...

dyacck.jpg

11uumut.jpg

The imperfections on top are going to be irrelevant, as those silver disks I made earlier are going on top! So at least one thing has gone right.

Actually, this went quite well...

30n9qpe.jpg

Ready to be painted purple. :woot:

Despite the crappy black paintwork (which I can pull back once totally dry) it is coming together. So, here is a quick picture of where I am with the underside at the moment. I have also redesigned the underside decal for the second time as it was quite a bit off in the placement of the lines... Yeah...

But it's almost spot on now.

So, my attempt below...

1zzg9vs.jpg

Closely followed by a photo I took while we were watching BTTF II last night.

2vdscqv.jpg

Obviously, I have not finished painting it yet, but I think (hope) the overall layout is close. But what I think is unimportant.
What do you lot think of it? :D

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back