The Expanse- TACHI/ROCINANTE Paper Model

dkaniel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A Talented Paper Model Designer at Papermodelers created a model of the TACHI and ROCINANTE. Unless you are a member of the Paper Model Group you won't be able to see the model, however the link for the models and instructions he posted so that anyone can access it. I started building the TACHI and thought I would post my progress with the build here. I don't claim to be an "Expert" model builder, but I do enjoy model building in both plastic and paper. The model is comprised of three modules. I am assembling the DRIVE Module first. The hard part is making the strut support beams that you can see on the bottom of the module. I can only do a few at a time before I need to take a break.

IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0707.JPG

Here are the links for the instructions and the TACHI and ROCINANTE Versions
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NmfD8eoL1YPpkkrXdDN_OEmi2VW1Nw2-/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jWg7ldES6apOmRFFGB_armtDRIMK25yy/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sZNVuth_AG1aclYOJCZq6R9u-GSd02Yv/view

Finally finished the Drive Section and started on the Cargo Section, laminated and assembled the internal support structure. I began building these four units that are made up of a half round assembly sitting inside a recessed cavity. I have never been a fan trying to glue together small parts with even smaller tabs and instead like to use an alternate build method. For any round pieces, I like to pre-form the part over a small pen or wooden dowel. For the end piece I removed the little tabs and laminated it with several layers of 100 lb. card stock to provide enough thickness that I can then edge glue the parts together. I always dry fit the pieces before gluing to make sure everything fits right. So far the first assembly looks good.
IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0721.JPG

Finally found some time this last weekend to sit down and do a little more work. Started applying the first level skin cover to the Cargo Module Framework. As with any good paper model assembly you always want crisp fold lines where required. The best way to get clean, sharp folds is to pre-score the lines using a metal edge ruler and dull hobby knife. The only problem is that sometimes the fold will go below the level of the inked surface and show the white paper fiber. I always spray the paper with a good sealer to minimize any problems with the ink coming off which can usually happen if printed with a Laser Printer. If the color is dark enough a simple solution is to use a fine tip marker that closely resembles the color and fill in the areas that are showing white. If the color is light then I usually use a colored pencil to hide the blemish. It is hard to find a light colored marker that will not bleed darker on the paper.

IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

So far the model is coming along fairly well, there are a few minor fit issues (mostly my fault) but overall I like the way the model is coming together. It looks like I still have a lot of smaller pieces that have to be applied to the Cargo Module before I can move on to the last Module.

IMG_0735.JPG

Finally finished the Cargo Module and started on the Last Module. I have noticed a few errors in the instructions where the narrative calls for certain parts to go together one way but the pictures show a different way of assembling. So far the pictures up to now have shown the correct information for the proper build order. This last module looks like it has even more add on parts then the Cargo module. It will probably take me awhile to build it but so far it is coming together quite well.

IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPG

Making slow progress assembling the last module. I was able to wrap the skins (H1 and I1) around the framework. I was worried about the slight gaps where the two outer skins come together, but it looks like it will be covered up by other smaller add on modules. I finished one of the smaller modules J1 and initially thought that it should have an internal framework support because it seemed flimsy. However when I did a dry fit test against the Service Module it looks like I will need to flex the module a bit to get it to glue flush and within the lines.

IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

I was finally able to finish all of the pieces on the last module. The Probe Assemblies(?) were a little challenging to put together. I had to sand down the toothpicks I was using before everything would fit correctly. The paper model file for the TACHI does not come with the Display Stand Assembly found in the Rocinante Model File. I thought about making on for the TACHI, but after putting everything together I liked the way it displays sitting on top of my display case. Over all I am happy with the way the model turned, barring some minor fit finishes that are probably my fault.

IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back