Modern MCU Style Costume Question - Jacket or Vest & Sleeves on Undershirt

BoosterGoldstar

Hi everyone. I am looking to make costume inspired by the look of the MCU movies. I am leaning towards a pair of high-waist pants with shoulder straps but for the top, I am not sure if it is better to go the one piece jacket method or the vest with the sleeves attached to the undershirt. I appreciate any feedback and would love if there is some pro's and con's to each method. Thank you!

My vote: Vest with Undersleeves. I've had both method, and the largest perk I've found is advanced arm motion. In a one piece, if I were to lift my arm, the bottom of the jacket will also lift.
What would you say the cons of vest with undersleeves are? and pros of one piece? I really want to have the whole picture before I make a decision.

Cons of vest:
You have to extend your sleeve details a little further to go "seamlessly," under the vest to trick the spectator.
Your fit on both the vest and sleeves have to be awesome to sell the illusion. (oh no!)

Pros of a One-piece:
You can get it on faster?
Never break the one-piece illusion, because it's one piece. So your fit alignment isn't much of an issue.

My newest suit is a two piece, and I struggled a bit with the arm pit area since I left space for movement. Also being Cap, I'm able to hid the seam with the back flap AND the harness. Other costumes may not be as forgiving :lol

Xw8ngqx.jpg

drewthecostumer
Thank you very much. I am working on designing a Booster Gold (DC Character) in this style. Probably a little more Ant-man style, but using the Cap textile, rather than leather.
But due to the gold across his chest & back connecting to his shoulders, I am concerned for keeping the alignment.
justice_league_dcau_roll_call___booster_gold_by_timlevins-dbjnzqx.jpg

Using painter's tape, you could pattern out a template for one half of the front of the suit and then either do the same with one half of the back or use the front template on the back for corresponding lines. Just an idea.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back