SDCC Badge Question

Room8

So, I haven't been to SDCC for a couple of years, and in the past, you needed to pick up your badge at the convention center. Now they mail out badges to attendees. So, my brother has a badge but won't be going, so I thought I would head on back down to SD with his badge. I'm pretty sure it should not be a problem, seeing as they can't match badges and ID's on every attendee (that would be impossible), but I did come across this snippet on their website

"To prevent scalping, badges for Comic-Con are non-transferable. Each badge features a unique barcode and RFID card registered to the badge holder. Security checks will be performed to ensure that only the person on the badge is admitted to the event."

I have no idea what that means, as I can't see any way that they would know if you are the actual holder of teh badge without checking individual ID's. Just wanted to make sure it won't be an issue before I make plans to go.

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Badges have RFID chips that need to be scanned at stations when you enter and exit the convention center. They have security at all of these exits. While they will do random spot checks, the actual chance of that happening is extremely low. The bigger worry is if the RFID chip fails to register. That's somewhat common (happened to me last year). They will check your photo ID on the spot. If your ID doesn't match, then you can be kicked out and both you and the badge holder banned.

What they want to do: every now and then, sometimes they'll randomly check your ID to see if it matches your badge. Does it happen? I didn't see it happen at all last year.

However, your brother won't be able to sign up for any of the lottery exclusives. Meaning no LEGO, Hasbro, Funko, or UCC booth chances (until Hasbro makes the booth open to all), and no autograph chances. Those will most likely have ID's checked to match the badges in order to claim whatever wrist band or ticket voucher is needed for those lottery winnings.

I have been going for years and since the introduction of the RFID I havent had any problems, and have used multiple peoples badges. Its not a problem. If something weird DOES happen, just go to a different entrance and try again. If its your brother, and youre still sketch, ask to borrow his ID.

I have never seen them check ID's. Just make sure to scan the badge when you enter AND when you leave. If you dont scan it when you leave, it will cause the kiosk to turn red when you try to re enter and thats a problem. They have scumbag ex cons working security and all they see is if its green or not.

Thanks for the replies! That is what I thought. I went to Wondercon a couple years ago and that's when I first saw the scanning in and out of the convention hall with the RFID badges. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a big deal so I can make arrangements to go without worry that I wouldn't be able to enter once there.

I have been going for years and since the introduction of the RFID I havent had any problems, and have used multiple peoples badges. Its not a problem. If something weird DOES happen, just go to a different entrance and try again. If its your brother, and youre still sketch, ask to borrow his ID.

I have never seen them check ID's. Just make sure to scan the badge when you enter AND when you leave. If you dont scan it when you leave, it will cause the kiosk to turn red when you try to re enter and thats a problem. They have scumbag ex cons working security and all they see is if its green or not.

If your RFID fails, you don't get to go to another entrance. They immediately flag it and bring over security to check ID's. It happened to me last year. You'll probably be fine, but it can and does happen.

If your RFID fails, you don't get to go to another entrance. They immediately flag it and bring over security to check ID's. It happened to me last year. You'll probably be fine, but it can and does happen.
The only time I have seen it fail is if they didnt scan it on the way out. Thats why I warned him to make sure he does and doesnt just walk out. I meant weird as in if they randomly check his ID before he gets to go in.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back