Chronicle Collectibles JP Cryocan

I have a Gold Season Pass (which includes parking) to Universal... I should be able to convince the girlfriend to do lunch at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade later this week (maybe Wednesday or Thursday)... Where exactly is the display? I have been to the AMC theater and CityWalk many, many times and have never noticed it...

I think it was in the theater lobby earlier this year, I'll have to search or maybe call the theater after work to see if it's still going.

I have a Gold Season Pass (which includes parking) to Universal... I should be able to convince the girlfriend to do lunch at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade later this week (maybe Wednesday or Thursday)... Where exactly is the display? I have been to the AMC theater and CityWalk many, many times and have never noticed it...

Not sure if it's still there, but that's the one I mentioned a former member grabbed some pics of years ago. I actually still have some of the photos, but I don't remember if they were made public or if they were posted to members privately. Plus, since the guy is a banned member, it's tough to properly credit him for the photos without opening up a whole separate thing.

Besides, would be cool to see fresh ones since these were a little grainy anyway. If you go, grab some pics of the NV goggles, too. Curious if they differ from the display pieces in the park. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Here's the pic I could find, there are others in another post. Also the goggles

957873874-1500x1000.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

I wish I could have gone, but looks like my boss was down there doing his one job.

958585836-1500x1000.jpg

Not sure if it's still there, but that's the one I mentioned a former member grabbed some pics of years ago. I actually still have some of the photos, but I don't remember if they were made public or if they were posted to members privately. Plus, since the guy is a banned member, it's tough to properly credit him for the photos without opening up a whole separate thing.

Besides, would be cool to see fresh ones since these were a little grainy anyway. If you go, grab some pics of the NV goggles, too. Curious if they differ from the display pieces in the park. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Last edited:
Great goggle pic! Looks like those have working lenses, unlike the display goggles. Very Cool.

The old display was more cluttered. There were circuit boards and misc. crap positioned around the props. Looks clean and simple here. Also looks like the old can.

Good stuff!

I had no plans of getting another can but with Rylo consulting on this one and the price point they are talking about I may just change my mind.

Take that price point with a grain of salt. Paul guesses on the low side. :)

BTW, chronicle has a presence on statueforum.com if you want to know more about their wonderful products.

Okay, here's the deal. As mentioned up top, I'm going to be limited in how much info I can provide here. This whole thing is still in it's infancy so things can and will inevitability change/evolve as we chug down the road. Just throwing that out there because I don't want to mention something in passing just to get grilled for it if there's a change in 'whatever' 3 months down the road. Lots of steps in a project like this and the approval process can be laborious for all parties involved. Simply put, I'll share here when I can and as long as it's fun. I'm as fond of this prop as anyone so I'm presuming if you've already read this far, you're as excited about it as I am.

That said, here's some good stuff.

1) Barbasol is enthusiastically involved with this project and will be providing the appropriate files, color-codes, etc. for the graphics...in a perfect world, Barbasol would make the cans. I understand they may still have the tooling. Still exploring our options on that one. Regardless, they have graciously volunteered all graphics, measurements, etc. of the straight-walled, appropriate era can. This can will be replicated as seen on screen.

2) Yes, there were multiple production cryos made for the film. In fact, Barbasol corporate has one. Yep!! That is one point of reference we'll be utilizing. Like I said, they're very cooperative and fans, too! In addition to having an original prop, they've shared a bit of info none of us knew. Barbasol worked with the production when the cryo was designed. I'll share more on that down the road...can't spill all the beans just yet. ;)

3) Yes, the shoulder on the centrifuge rack will be present on this replica. Moving forward, let's just refer to any replica with this feature as the 'screen hero' since that's gotten so much attention lately.

As a fan and a builder it's pretty cool to have access to multiple points of reference on this piece. Just exploring some of the variations here and there after all these years is very exciting. Having retired my cryos almost 5 years ago, I really thought that mountain had been climbed. Outside of cobbling a few strays together here and there, I really haven't thought of them much. It's interesting to note that while we've been getting everything together for this run, we've tripped over a few of my cryos at Universal. Hell, they just used one of them in a new commercial that was being filmed a week ago! So take heart if you have one of my old ones. They've oddly carved their way into the franchise over the years with the studio having accepted them. Besides, unlike 2, 3 and even 4.0 versions of Bladerunner guns, lightsabers, misc Indy props and the like, this version will be one and done and particularly affordable. Fear not on the price point! You're gonna be happy!!

More soon. Thanks for following along.

-Rylo

Last edited:
Rylo, very cool! I was wondering how the cans would be made and if Barbasol would lend their tooling to that or not.

So did my post have anything to do with the elbow making it onto the prop, or were you already on top of that? Not that it makes that much difference but it's put a smile on my face for the last couple of days thinking I might have finally contributed something to a major prop. :)

BTW, can you say anything about whether the bottom will be flat or concave? From the footage and the Citywalk prop it looks like they had a proper can bottom on there.

That said, here's some good stuff.

1) Barbasol is enthusiastically involved with this project and will be providing the appropriate files, color-codes, etc. for the graphics...in a perfect world, Barbasol would make the cans. I understand they may still have the tooling. Still exploring our options on that one. Regardless, they have graciously volunteered all graphics, measurements, etc. of the straight-walled, appropriate era can. This can will be replicated as seen on screen.

2) Yes, there were multiple production cryos made for the film. In fact, Barbasol corporate has one. Yep!! That is one point of reference we'll be utilizing. Like I said, they're very cooperative and fans, too! In addition to having an original prop, they've shared a bit of info none of us knew. Barbasol worked with the production when the cryo was designed. I'll share more on that down the road...can't spill all the beans just yet. ;)

3) Yes, the shoulder on the centrifuge rack will be present on this replica. Moving forward, let's just refer to any replica with this feature as the 'screen hero' since that's gotten so much attention lately.
-Rylo

This is all great news. Thanks for sharing!

Sorry, man. The short answer is, no. The shoulder just isn't a new discovery. I've had a photo (looking at it now) of the actual shouldered piece removed from a rack some time. I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm though. :thumbsup

I've yet to see the bottom of the Citywalk cryo. While I believe it's a legit piece, we're really just now starting to explore the differences between what was machined for production.

I gotta cut it off there for now.

Thanks!

So did my post have anything to do with the elbow making it onto the prop, or were you already on top of that? .

Sorry, man. The short answer is, no. The shoulder just isn't a new discovery. I've had a photo (looking at it now) of the actual shouldered piece removed from a rack some time. I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm though. :thumbsup

I've yet to see the bottom of the Citywalk cryo. While I believe it's a legit piece, we're really just now starting to explore the differences between what was machined for production.

I gotta cut it off there for now.

Thanks!

Hey Rylo, that's fine, no hard feelings. But then I've gotta ask why wasn't the elbow on the prop until now? Or on the prototype shown on the Tested video, or Chronicle's renderings?

As far what was on the bottom of the hero, if you could, take a few minutes to look at my theories here. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293157&p=4501738&viewfull=1#post4501738 ...I think I make some good observations that point to a concave bottom. On the Citywalk cryo above, you can see what looks like a rusty and banged up can bottom as well, displaced possibly due to deteriorating glue.

Edit: Just in case it sounds like I'm getting defensive, It's unintentional. Just very excited and curious about this prop and hoping to help in any way I can. I recognize you're the resident expert on this prop and not trying to start anything!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Rylo's on top of this, he's been in the thick of the cryocan for a VERY long time., and these details are all being addressed by multiple parties involved.

I'm hesitant to do this with you so if this doesn't do, well...it'll have to do.

I've only recently jumped on board for this project. I haven't made a run of cryos in almost 5 years. My cans are retired and to be perfectly honest, I wasn't gonna break my neck machining anything when my role in this project was still being defined. As for the artist rendering. Simple, the project is young and everyone was not on the same page. It was a first pass...it happens. In fact, I laughed when I saw it and sent a text going "WTF is that!?!" BUT, make no mistake. With or without my assistance, the second reference started flowing from the studio, Barbasol and all parties involved, the piece would've ultimately been replicated as it's seen on screen.

As for my old run. Mine were based on what we had and my interpretation of a prop 20 years ago. Ya work with what ya got! As I said in the cryo history; the prop I handled did not have a shoulder or it was so far behind the vials I overlooked it in my rush...I'm still not convinced they all had ledges but there is no denying the hero piece does. But, no matter; what mine had or didn't have has zero bearing on what a licensed prop company plans to produce.

As for speculating about other theories. Again, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we've been there before. In light of all the new reference we have, there is no more guesswork on this prop. I don't have to speculate; we have original, production made source material, the full support of the studio and plenty of time to get dialed in.

Now, you clearly want to believe you've discovered something and I think that's great. I encourage you to continue exploring on your thread and have a great time with it. That's part of the wonderful world of props! I'm excited that the answers to all those pesky questions that linger will ultimately be answered when this prop is released.

-Rylo

Hey Rylo, that's fine, no hard feelings. But then I've gotta ask why wasn't the elbow on the prop until now? Or on the prototype shown on the Tested video, or Chronicle's renderings?

As far what was on the bottom of the hero, if you could, take a few minutes to look at my theories here. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293157&p=4501738&viewfull=1#post4501738 ...I think I make some good observations that point to a concave bottom. On the Citywalk cryo above, you can see what looks like a rusty and banged up can bottom as well, displaced possibly due to deteriorating glue.

Edit: Just in case it sounds like I'm getting defensive, It's unintentional. Just very excited and curious about this prop and hoping to help in any way I can. I recognize you're the resident expert on this prop and not trying to start anything!

Rylo, that's a perfectly valid answer! Thanks for taking the time to respond. It sounds like you have things well in hand and I'm looking forward to the final product! I was looking at doing a lot of work to get a cryocan made, which is why I was poring over images in the first place. It looks like I won't have to do anything now but be patient, and I'll still get a can with all the features I wanted.

Thanks!

Robbytherobot, there is no reason to take away any less satisfaction from your discovery. I'm no expert and don't have perfect memories of all of the old discussions here, but I think that you may be the first to publicly discover and confirm the conical shoulder rack detail- and especially without the aid of private information. So be proud- those skills and attention to detail will come in handy on future discussions/projects like this. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the newly confirmed rack shoulder and base details on the final Chronicle piece.

Belloq, it's all good. I did the legwork because it interested me and I just wanted to verify for myself what no one at the moment could confirm. That's one of the most interesting aspects of this hobby, the research.
Even if I'm just gathering info that's already known, it's still new to me. Would have been great to have an ANH Han blaster moment though...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back