Chronicle Collectibles JP Cryocan

I spoke with the guys at Chronicle twice at SDCC 2018 about this can... They are indeed working with Rylo and, here's the interesting part, Barbasol. They said Barbasol will produce the cans for them exactly as they originally made them... Steel with no shoulders!

Now this sounds really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul did a great job with Norm on that video so there's not much to add at this time. Working on some final engineering masters, now. I'll continue to share as things progress. I think you guys are gonna really be pleased with the end result, not to mention the price. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Paul did a great job with Norm on that video so there's not much to add at this time. Working on some final engineering masters, now. I'll continue to share as things progress. I think you guys are gonna really be pleased with the end result, not to mention the price. :thumbsup

-Rylo

So excited your helping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not my discovery, All credit goes to this persons thread. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293157
How will they make this?
23be82fe-4f57-40f2-ae6a-e8e0e0ce2e7a.png JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.theatrical.m2ts_snapshot_00.57.08_[2018.07.10_23.34.34]e.jpg

Wow, I just saw the Tested video, that looks amazing! If it's really around $125 I think I'll scrap trying to machine one myself. Hoping that new little detail will be a part of it.

From what he said in the video, it sounded like it was just sitting there and he took some measurements. If it had the tubes in it I don't know if he would have taken them out to see the core but I could be wrong. Maybe the silence so far means that he's already discovered the difference.

From what he said in the video, it sounded like it was just sitting there and he took some measurements. If it had the tubes in it I don't know if he would have taken them out to see the core but I could be wrong. Maybe the silence so far means that he's already discovered the difference.

Since Rylo is working with them, maybe he can let us know if they noticed the detail and if they are correcting it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times those pesky NDA’s get in the way.

Iirc the rack was debated endlessly on the board many many years ago.......

Here's chronological history of the cryo on the RPF. It should answer some questions for the newer guys. :thumbsup

About two decades ago, when the RPF was young, we were still debating things like how many grips were on a lightsaber, what color is the bottom of the Bladerunner gun grip, that sorta thing... We also debated the cryocan; what it had, what it didn't have. I mean, there was an entire group of us who had researched the cryo to death, but we were still making educated guesses. Over the years, runs came and went from a few different builders and changes would be made as we learned.

Anyway, our first 'in hand' reference came from Universal in California when a former board member took a couple photos of a supposed 'made for production' prop which had been on display. This started one of many debates. The first; the whole 'rust colored o-ring' debate. I saw what looked like 2 red rubber bands, others saw a dry-rotted o-ring. In the end, we concluded the original o-ring rotted off and someone put the bands on the prop to keep it from falling out of the can. Until then, we all used black o-rings. We take details like this for granted now, but this first bit of solid reference also confirmed how many ribs there were on the bottom spindle and it also answered questions like, "are the steps on the bottom of the rack just graduated to resemble threads or were they actually corkscrewed?" But, it also left a couple people speculating if they saw something peeking out behind the vials. Some saw reflections, some saw what appeared to be an elbow where the machine work wasn't taken all the way back to to the post...I'd yet to offer a run at this point and was split on the issue. Naturally, there were people who questioned if this was in fact a production made piece or something made after the fact. Since it was displayed with a pair of NV Goggles that differed from the display goggles, I believed it was legit.

Fast forward a year or two and I was doing some product placement work with Universal Orlando. This afforded me the opportunity to get some measurements off of another supposed 'made for production' prop. While I didn't remove the vials, I was able to measure the outer dimensions and check out the mechanism. I don't recall if the left coast prop had a flat bottom or not, but I remember that's the one detail that stuck out on this one. I also saw no inner elbow on the rack. Granted, it's of course entirely possible one was machined behind the vials, but if it was there, I missed it. I don't believe they were the same prop; although, all of the outward details were the same. Nothing jumped out as glaringly different...presuming as with most productions, that more than one prop was made which may differ slightly from one to another, I would later use this design in my replica.

Ironically, if a licensee had come along and used a supposed "production made" prop that was on display in the parks as reference as little as 8 or 9 years ago, it would've been mine! They've found their way into everything from the Bluray and commercials to themselves having been on display in an official capacity. Just an example of how easy it is for reference to get a little funky over time.

Over the years, I've come to believe the screen used hero is long gone or sitting safely on a shelf in someone's office. As mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be unusual for multiple props to have been made for the film. This particular elbow or 'shelf' since unseen with vials in place may have been omitted from other pieces or as I said, it could've been completely overlooked. Either way, yes, it is a known difference in what I would now call the screen used HERO prop.

As for the video where Chronicle gives me a shout out regarding how close I was...it's just that. A friend acknowledging my prototype is pretty bang on when compared to their reference material, measurement wise. It's hardly the final product. A I said, I think you guys are gonna be pretty pleased when all is said and done. The studio has an impressive inventory of reference material, notes and surviving props that is made available to their licensees. Just as though the initial artist rendering differs from my proto, so shall my proto from the final pieces.

Oh and to be clear. I'm not manufacturing these...just consulting since I know where some of the pitfalls are in the machining process and so forth.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup

Note/Edit: I'm adding to and editing this as time permits. There's been a lot of info over the years and this was just one of countless replicas I've taken an interest in. I'll continue to add if it's worth sharing. Ex: I just remembered another debated feature was if the cryo actually had a groove running up the center post. The CW prop confirmed this. Again, funny how the things we consider "no *****" details now were once in question. I wish I could remember who some of our major contributors were back in the day. I've always tried to acknowledge that it was truly a die-hard, active build group who ultimately helped hash out my replica. Good times.

Last edited:
Rylo, thanks for writing that up! Always interesting to hear some of the detective work that goes into reproducing these props. I figured there were probably multiple props, and I'm certain there is a switch between the hero and a regular Barbasol can when Nedry tries out the foam.

But I do see hints of the elbow spokes in most of the shots now, which tells me the hero definitely had it. It's also visible peeking out between the tubes on the AMC Citywalk specimen, which is purported to be screen used. It's hardly seen when the tubes are in place so on display it might not matter much, but it would be great to see it on the Chronicle replica if you're able to push them in that direction. Unless it makes a significant difference in the material cost, in which case I think most people could live with flat discs.

Last edited:
Rylo, thanks for writing that up! Always interesting to hear some of the detective work that goes into reproducing these props. I figured there were probably multiple props, and I'm certain there is a switch between the hero and a regular Barbasol can when Nedry tries out the foam.

But I do see hints of the elbow spokes in most of the shots now, which tells me the hero definitely had it. It's also visible peeking out between the tubes on the AMC Citywalk specimen, which is purported to be screen used. It's hardly seen when the tubes are in place so on display it might not matter much, but it would be great to see it on the Chronicle replica if you're able to push them in that direction. Unless it makes a significant difference in the material cost, in which case I think most people could live with flat discs.

I think the inclusion of this detail is the deciding factor for me.

Anyone know if the props are still up at AMC Citywalk? It's sitting on clear plexi, would be nice if someone could snap a couple pics from below to see what the bottom is like. If I was still in LA, I'd do it but I'm in San Francisco now.

I mean yeah, those are pretty much the hero shots of the prop... if it looks that way in those shots, thats the Hero as far as Im concerned, and what any replica should be modeled after.

Anyone know if the props are still up at AMC Citywalk? It's sitting on clear plexi, would be nice if someone could snap a couple pics from below to see what the bottom is like. If I was still in LA, I'd do it but I'm in San Francisco now.

Universal CityWalk? I drive by it on my way home, but it's like $20 to park there, I think!

Yes, but there is a free park n ride lot across the street, not a long walk to the tram stop from Universal parking iirc.

Edit: it seems this might be over, I see an end date of June 24th for the JW exhibit. I assume that includes the JP stuff as well.

Universal CityWalk? I drive by it on my way home, but it's like $20 to park there, I think!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back