RS Propmasters TK Bucket problems

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Years ago, I bought one of the first RSP helmets. I believe it was a thin, glossy styrene. Looked amazing but very soon it started to develop cracks and even holes in the plastic! They promptly sent me another that they had pulled in a more dull ABS plastic (correct me if I have my materials wrong) and all was good.

I recently moved the ABS one and noticed cracks have formed in it as well! Keep in mind that the helmet was never worn, kept out of the sun in an air-conditioned room.

Has anyone else noticed cracks in their helmets? I posted to their FB group but I should have known they wouldn't display it.

IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9641.JPG

IMG_9642.JPG

Just checked mine mate and no problem at all that I can see - had mine since 2013.

i think it’s a problem that you occasionally get with all helmets, my Gino/CRProps trooper lid has a long crack above the rear bell bulge.

suggest you contact the RS guys in case they could sort you out with a new faceplate

Cherts

Jez

I have the whole kit and troop in it. 12 months old and no issues. My ABS is shinny though. I agree ^^. They are normally pretty good to deal with just very busy.

Well poopie. It's been years so I'm not gonna bother them. I'll just have to glue and shim the inside. Early adopter syndrome. :)

You've been unlucky having 2 helmets do that so I'm sure they would be happy to help you. They are pretty stand up people. :)

Ben

That is strange...have an over 10 Years old VT Hero bucket...its a little bit yellow now..but no cracks.I would say the plastic on your helmet was too thin or a bad badge.

Same thing happened to mine! Never worn or handled, I was rearranging and noticed a crack on the back of mine. At least it's out of sight. I just assumed it's the material. I don't expect them to replace it. Maybe it's time for a new one?

i think it’s a problem that you occasionally get with all helmets, my Gino/CRProps trooper lid has a long crack above the rear bell bulge.
Exactly, and no matter the maker nor the finish.
I had an MR Clone helmet for years. Never worn or so, but the paint cracked in a few places for some unknown reason.

Stal'

Looks like stress cracking that sometime develops in ABS parts over time. This can be accelerated by coming into contact with cleaning fluids and some polishes. Where I work we mould a lot of ABS and you would be very surprised at some of the normal household products that will root out the stress points and cause cracks.

Yes I had a replacement because of cracking and my new one has done it too. Never handled now in loft gathering dust. Gutted!

Clutch mine has gone in exactly the same place as you look at it on the right, personally think it's too thin for the stress.

Yep. Expect it to do it on the left too. I guess if you wanted one to last you could coat the inside with fiberglass. Lol!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back