The Vertigo Film Appreciation Thread.

CB2001

Master Member
In honor of the fact that this year marks the 60th anniversary of the film's release, I've decided to open this thread for those who love this film (or have been obsessed with it). For a lot of people, when you think of Alfred Hitchcock, Psycho tends to be the first film to come to mind. For me, it's always this film that comes up.

https://youtu.be/Z5jvQwwHQNY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've loved this film ever since I saw it when I was 13, and that was a looong time ago. Number 3 on my top twenty favorite movies. Number 1 on my favorite Hitchcock films, followed by North by Northwest. My two favorite scenes (spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie, but come on it came out 60 years ago!) 1) The scene when Scotty sees the necklace and puts everything together. The music is so good in this scene. 2) the scene in the hotel where the camera dollies around them and they go from the hotel to the stable back to the hotel. Brilliant movie!

I've loved this film ever since I saw it when I was 13, and that was a looong time ago. Number 3 on my top twenty favorite movies. Number 1 on my favorite Hitchcock films, followed by North by Northwest. My two favorite scenes (spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie, but come on it came out 60 years ago!) 1) The scene when Scotty sees the necklace and puts everything together. The music is so good in this scene. 2) the scene in the hotel where the camera dollies around them and they go from the hotel to the stable back to the hotel. Brilliant movie!

Same here, and at the same age too! My Dad rented it from the Movie Gallery in town, and it was a Sunday when I got up, seeing the final tower scene. My Dad was kind enough to stop, rewind the tape and play it from the start for me. After that, I was in love with the film.

For my favorite scenes from the film, I'll admit, it's hard to choose. But if I had to choose just one, it's the brief scene where Judy and Scottie are at dinner after Judy decides to stay, Scottie setting another woman looking like Madeline. Maybe it's just me, but before that scene, Judy seemed like she understood Scottie was just grieving for Madeline. But in that medium closeup after it cuts from the woman taking a seat at the nearby table, the way Judy looks at Scottie, it comes off as she finally realizes how much damage she truly done to him. I know, I could be wrong about that scene.

But, if that doesn't count, the scene where Madeline and Scottie are seaside after visiting the forest. The way she describes her trances just seems so compelling and like a hook. And that kiss with the crashing waves? Who couldn't like that?

https://youtu.be/CgU-5WQGClY

Aw man, GREAT FILM!!!! Kim Novak was so hot back then too. I found it around age 16 and was absolutely obsessed with it for years. It's so haunting not to mention I seemed to attract slightly insane girls back then too. About time I gave it another spin. Thanks for the reminder

Aw man, GREAT FILM!!!! Kim Novak was so hot back then too. I found it around age 16 and was absolutely obsessed with it for years. It's so haunting not to mention I seemed to attract slightly insane girls back then too. About time I gave it another spin. Thanks for the reminder

I was a bit obsessed with the film when I was younger too. But not for the same reasons. XD

And you're welcome. :)

When I first moved down to L.A. I did my own Vertigo tour of San Fransisco.
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, you guys, I have to ask a question. When in the interior of the McKittrick Hotel, is it just me or does the inside look oddly like an earlier version of the inside of the Bates Mansion in Psycho? I mean, the placement of the stairs, the way the hall looks, the second level comes off all as strangely similar.

How is it all of us discovered Vertigo in our teenage years? Then again, it makes sense: how could anyone see one HItchcock/James Stewart movie and not see them all (I found out about these a year prior). I’d like to say it’s like Pringles: Once you pop, you can’t stop!

Last edited:
How is it all of as discovered Vertigo in our teenage years? Then again, it makes sense: how could anyone see one HItchcock/James Stewart movie and not see them all (I found out about these a year prior). I’d like to say it’s like Pringles: Once you pop, you can’t stop!

Well, I'll admit, I haven't gotten all of Hitchcock's films in my collection, but a got a lot of them. And it is weird that most of us discovered Vertigo in our teenage years. Odd. But, at least the film is considered his masterpiece.

I saw Vertigo (a private collectors 35mm print) at closing night of the Gateway Cinema (under Jack Tillmany) when I was 18. It was a surprise treat for regular customers who came to celebrate Jack’s retirement from running theaters. This was 1981 before it was rereleased.

I saw Vertigo (a private collectors 35mm print) at closing night of the Gateway Cinema (under Jack Tillmany) when I was 18. It was a surprise treat for regular customers who came to celebrate Jack’s retirement from running theaters. This was 1981 before it was rereleased.

That sounds awesome. I wish I could get to see the film in a theater. I've seen it on VHS (full screen), VHS (widescreen, when they first started to do it) and DVD.

Sorry to bump this thread up again. I found out that there is a book called The Testament of Judith Barton by Wendy Powers and Robin McLeod. Basically, it's telling Judy's side of the Vertigo story, including how she met Gavin and got involved with the events we see. Just looking at some of the scenes from the film in the book, the authors must have based it off the screenplay for the film instead of the actual film itself. However, the Alfred Hitchcock Trust gave them permission to publish the story and provided the script for them to use. It's available on Amazon in print and digital (I picked up my copy second hand off of eBay. I prefer print over digital if the option is available). I'm adding it to my reading list after finishing the novelization of the movie Hackers by David Bischoff. I figured for those who are into different POV novels who happen to like Vertigo might be interested in this too. The irony of the fact that the book is slightly an adaptation of the flim is the fact that the film is based off of a book (so it went spiraling from a book to film and back too book. XD ).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back