Ant-Man and the Wasp (Post-release)

What did you think of Ant-Man and the Wasp?

• It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't have much to say about this film. It was fun but didn't bring a whole lot of new to the table. Solid B grade. No qualms about adding it to the collection in a few months.

Great video explaining the easter eggs in the movie and what they may mean for future MCU movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was Scott spared because he was lucky or do you think he was spared because Thanos' snap doesnt affect the Quantum Realm?

I think Doctor Strange's 14 million to one winning scenario hinges on Scott surviving the snap, and getting stuck in in the quantum realm. The snap has to happen in the few seconds Scott is out of range. Hence the high odds. Thst said, it's also possible he survived naturally, but in either case the key to victory lies with how he escapes the quantum realm, if he had survived after returning Thanos wins.

Do you guys just put the word 'quantum' in front of everything?
I must be such a geek... funniest line in the movie (to me) and I was the only one in a packed theater that laughed. :lol

I really liked the use of the Classics IV song “Spooky” right after Scott started experiencing quantum entanglement with Janet...because, you know, Einstein described quantum entanglement as “spooky action at a distance.”

I felt like I was the only one in the theater that caught the reference.

I was able to see it this past Saturday night. Ant-Man has always been one of my favorite MCU movies, so I was really looking forward to this sequel.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good! Didn't really blow me away like many other MCU movies have, but it was a fun flick.

I loved that Wasp really got her time to shine in this one - can't wait to see more of her. Ant-Man was funny as usual, but didn't seem as integral as he did in the first one. Ghost was a really cool character and I was glad she didn't die in the end. However, I would have liked to have seen more backstory and more for her to do. Her screen time was pretty minimal, and her powers weren't used as creatively as I'd have liked. Hank Pym was awesome just like in the first one. Luis was a bit of a let down compared to his scene-stealer role in the first. Janet felt pretty underwhelming to me, as her scenes felt rushed and not as important as we were led to believe. The ending was bit odd - she just has these magical powers and heals Ava and then it's pretty much over. I wanted to find out where Ava went after she was healed and what Hank/Janet plan on doing now that they're back together.

The mid-credits scene had more impact than the whole movie, but that's ok. It still blew my mind. I also really liked the end-credit scene. It was horrifying and chilling to hear the silence outside mixed with the emergency broadcast...only to be drowned out by the giant ant playing drums haha.

I liked that the story was super simple and silly. The action was a lot of fun, but I did feel like the humor was dialed down this time around, which surprised me. Overall, I think I still prefer the original. While I really enjoyed AMatW, it just didn't feel as creative in its filmmaking as the original (idk how much of a lingering effect Edgar Wright's work had on the final product, but maybe that's why I enjoyed it more). But, I'm looking forward to seeing it again this weekend!

While I enjoyed the film overall, I have a couple nitpicks that bug me a little, mainly with the pseudo-science of the movie:

The shrinking vehicles - How can people pick up the shrunken cars (or any shrunken thing) without destroying them in their fingers? A real car that is shrunken down to the size of a Hot Wheels car would not be as durable. The metal would be much thinner than it's Hot Wheels equivalent, and all the parts would be much more delicate.
Also, how do the small vehicles continue to drive as fast as the full size vehicles? Inertia may account for some of the disproportionate speed (when the cars shrink while moving at high speed), but the engines, gears and wheels of a standard full size automobile would not be able to accelerate or maintain the same speed of a full size car.

How did Janet Van Dyne survive in the quantum realm? What did she eat and drink? How did she stay hygenic? And how in the world was she able to do her hair and makeup for 30 years? The only kind of answer to that comes with her saying "the quantum realm changes you" (or something along those lines). So maybe its implied that some physical change that occured which altered Janet so that she either doesnt need food or water, or need to bath to survive. Regardless, the film didn't explain.

Just got back from this movie with Clan, I really liked it! It was a fun, hope-filled romp that we really needed after the deconstructive wonderful gut punch that was Infinity War. That said, I kind of knew the mid-credits scene was coming but it didn't lessen the impact. Was I the only one who thought that Ant-Man being stuck in the Quantum Realm brought Emperor Palpatine this much closer to being correct in his prediction?

For those who do not get the reference, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DGlk_JAm8U ;)

While I enjoyed the film overall, I have a couple nitpicks that bug me a little, mainly with the pseudo-science of the movie:

The shrinking vehicles - How can people pick up the shrunken cars (or any shrunken thing) without destroying them in their fingers? A real car that is shrunken down to the size of a Hot Wheels car would not be as durable. The metal would be much thinner than it's Hot Wheels equivalent, and all the parts would be much more delicate.
Also, how do the small vehicles continue to drive as fast as the full size vehicles? Inertia may account for some of the disproportionate speed (when the cars shrink while moving at high speed), but the engines, gears and wheels of a standard full size automobile would not be able to accelerate or maintain the same speed of a full size car.

How did Janet Van Dyne survive in the quantum realm? What did she eat and drink? How did she stay hygenic? And how in the world was she able to do her hair and makeup for 30 years? The only kind of answer to that comes with her saying "the quantum realm changes you" (or something along those lines). So maybe its implied that some physical change that occured which altered Janet so that she either doesnt need food or water, or need to bath to survive. Regardless, the film didn't explain.
Because it’s easier to suspend disbelief for logical inconsistencies if you find the characters and story engaging.

Janet’s survival is something I do have to actively overlook, however.

What continues to amaze me is the flashback de-aging technology they have. Both Ant-Man films have done a tremendous job making these effects look seamless and had Tron Legacy had this it would have been even more amazing.

I enjoyed the heck out of this movie and it was very funny. The school sneak in stuff with the malfunctioning size of Scott was hilarious!

The stuff in the post credits was very much a punch to the gut and I’m really really looking forward to Infinity War Part 2.

Marvel has done beautifully in making all these films work cohesively with purpose.

It boggles me Disney doesn’t get Lucasfilm on board with this formula of building a broad outline of things that all connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught it Saturday night. Loved it. Just the right amount of light-heartedness we needed after the slog that was Infinity War.

SB

One of the things that impressed me with the original, and that I think they did even better with this time around, was balancing the action between a full size world and Scott's and now Hope's tiny forms. It would be so easy to lose track of where Scott and Hope are when they aren't full size... yet the the editing and directing handled it about as well as possible. Even with the crazy POV shifts from the normal size world to the world from the perspective of tiny Scott and Hope, there always seemed to be a proper sense of orientation.

Because I'm such a sucker for heist movies, I will probably always enjoy the first one slightly more, but I thought this was a super fun entry. And it was super refreshing to see a villain with a genuinely human motivation, and who was allowed to be redeemed in the end.

As for the end credits... I knew it was coming. Let's face it, we ALL knew it had to happen. Doesn't stop it from being shocking. And I'm on board with the notion that the mention of time vortexes wasn't just a throwaway line about the dangers of the quantum realm. There's significance there.

Haven't seen it yet. Still in a bit of MCU shock after A:IW.
But I have heard enough about the movie to risk entering the spoiler thread.

I'm curious about Janet, too. And I had the same questions about Scott in the first movie. How does one breathe when they are smaller than an oxygen molecule? OK, suspend disbelief for a second and theorize that it's like a stasis realm where stuff like breathing and eating don't matter. If that's the case, why then would you age in the realm where time has no meaning? That's what I was thinking about when I read months ago that Michelle Pfeiffer was cast as Janet Van Dyne. Why didn't they cast someone much younger who would be Hopes age? That would have been an interesting dynamic for a third Ant Man movie.

Here is the official explanation, and basically, it's that it's an external appearance reason, rather than an in-story reason:

Okay. In Ant-Man and the Wasp, we get to see more of the Quantum Realm. I was kind of under the impression that time does not go by in the same way in the Quantum Realm as it does here, but…She [Janet Pym] aged.
She aged. So I was wondering what’s up with that?
Much like quantum mechanics itself, it is all very complicated. And it is, there are various…if you notice in this film, he talks about she through Scott Lang says meet me in the Wastelands beyond the Void. There are various levels that we check in on. So there are many, many different layers to the Quantum Realm.
So there are layers that time does not pass by?
That’s what they’ve told us. They’ve told us that it, time and physics and space work very differently down there. But that was part of a, that was a big question during the development process. And as usual, you’re the first one to pick on it a little bit, which is… should she have aged or not? And we felt that new Quantum Realm, we could justify either one. But that ultimately you wanna have an emotional reunion with Michael Douglas, an emotional reunion with Evangeline Lily and our first instinct had always been specifically now Michelle Pfeiffer from that first movie. It felt like it should be somebody who’s the right age. As opposed to Michael Douglas with somebody who has not aged. Or Evangeline Lily connecting with somebody who’s not aged. That just adds another layer of sort of sci-fi weirdness. Yeah. And we’re not afraid of sci-fi weirdness. I love it. But not in that case.

Finally caught it today, and enjoyed it a lot but my prop brain kicked in the minute I saw the Hot Wheels case. I still have my original one. Now I just need to identify all the vehicles in there.

Still another 10 days to go until I get to see this film.

Until then I thought I would share this flip through of the latest Marvel Art of the Movie book.
Enjoy

I saw the movie and loved it

In 2003, he was accused of raping a woman he knew; the charge was later dropped, but a judge ordered him to do community service for misdemeanor batteryAlso, how do the small vehicles continue to drive as fast as the full size vehicles? Inertia may account for some of the disproportionate speed (when the cars shrink while moving at high speed), but the engines, gears and wheels of a standard full size automobile would not be able to accelerate or maintain the same speed of a full size car.

I can see how that can be frustrating

The shrinking cars was weird when you start looking at the practicality of it all. If speed was scaled appropriately, the equivalent of 50 mph might be something more like 150 mph or updward for something that small

Another factor would be the asphalt road surface itself. You now would be driving on what would be the equivalent of boulders place close together. A very, very rough ride to say the least

But like seeing a Star Wars movie, you have to ignore that stuff and just accept that in that comic/fictitious universe things work different, or "a wizard did it" is good enough for me. The details on how something happened are unimportant for the story

You start opening the floodgates on reality and it all comes crashing down fast

One thing that bugs me (pun intended) about the Ant Man movies is their inability to stick with the rules they've made.
Supposedly, iirc from the first movie, when shrunk, your density remains as if you were full size. Which is why Scott put a crack inbred tile falling out of the bath tub and put a tiny, but deep, dent in the roof of a car with his first foray with the suit. He was also warned that his strength remains the same, so a punch with such a small surface area would have the force of a bullet.
Then, he goes about running along gun barrels, flying along holding onto an arrow, doing things that would suggest his density was much lessened in his diminutive size. In his giant form, the same "science" should also hold true.

A shrunken fuel truck or a giant Pez dispenser should abide by the same rules they established early in the first movie.

Of course, if they did that, then 90% of the shrinking/ growing gags just wouldn't have worked. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but then why set up the rules to begin with if you are only going to break them a few scenes later.

Well I just got the answer to one of my big questions - about how Janet survived in the quantum realm.

I was watching a YouTube podcast where someone knew the guy who worked on Janet's armor. It seems her shawl was made from the skin of a water bear so she must have been hunting down microscopic organisms.

rothasiz_132762914527.jpg

Still, it doesn't quite add up. Also water bears are incredibly tough. I guess her shawl must've come from moulted chiton? Still, a full grown water bear is about half a millimeter - which would be like the size of a galaxy if you were quantum-sized.

So maybe there are other smaller quantum "creatures"?

How can she take down a virus? Have you ever seen a T4 bacteriophage? Those things are scary as hell!

62420140256126.jpg

Well the whole notion of a quantum realm is broken because, of course, if you're subatomically-sized then what are you actually made of? Sub-sub atomic particles?

I chucked logic out the window a long time ago with Ant-Man. But I still love it.

I had no problems with the flaws in the laws of Ant-Man physics or physics in general, I just took it at face value and accepted it as part of what makes the movies. What did kind of get me was how they powered the lab, they would plop it down anywhere there was space, enlarge it and it was ready to go and powered up. Did the building have its own super generator or nuclear reactor to provide power? And what about plumbing, Hope and Hank were living in it, so where did they get water from or did they just have tons of Sparkletts jugs and water bottles to use in the kitchen (if they had one) and bathrooms?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back