Scratch Build SD

I have started to work on the bottom of the SD, I need to finish the bottom before I flip it over to complete the top.
As its the main part I will see when it is hanging up in the house I need to add lots of detail to it.

IMG_2393.jpgIMG_2394.jpgIMG_2396.jpgIMG_2397.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2455.jpgIMG_2610.jpg

Really enjoying following this build , and the process you’re sharing . Any idea of how much it’ll weigh after all done considering the final placement ?

:cheersGed

Really enjoying following this build , and the process you’re sharing . Any idea of how much it’ll weigh after all done considering the final placement ?

:cheersGed

I think it weighs about 50-80kg but it is getting heavier every weekend.
The resin parts add weight very quickly.

I mite have some one interested in buying it.

Last edited:
Making the bubble for the bottom of the SD.

I used my router to cut out two patterns in some scrap wood that fitted a old truck hub cap as the mold.
Clamping 2mm styrene between the two pieces of wood I heated it up with a heat gun, once the plastic started to sag I pushed it over the dome shape of the hub cap to create the shape I was after.

IMG_2651.jpgIMG_2652.jpgIMG_2653.jpg

Well this was a fail so it is back to the drawing board.

After I cut to shape the sphere looked to be too small.

I need to make a bigger one.

You reckon there might be a plastic ceiling light dome out on the market somewhere? That's the first thing that popped in me pea-brain :thumbsup In fact before I read it, that's what I thought it was.
Making the bubble for the bottom of the SD.

I used my router to cut out two patterns in some scrap wood that fitted a old truck hub cap as the mold.
Clamping 2mm styrene between the two pieces of wood I heated it up with a heat gun, once the plastic started to sag I pushed it over the dome shape of the hub cap to create the shape I was after.

View attachment 845246View attachment 845247View attachment 845248

Well this was a fail so it is back to the drawing board.

After I cut to shape the sphere looked to be too small.

I need to make a bigger one.

- - - Updated - - -

Muzza, whats the diameter and depth?
You reckon there might be a plastic ceiling light dome out on the market somewhere? That's the first thing that popped in me pea-brain :thumbsup In fact before I read it, that's what I thought it was.

I have had a few distraction of late and my concentration on the SD is not going too well. With so many other kit coming into my hands it is hard not to have a play around with them.
I am Just showing you what area I have been working on. There is so much detail including the lighting of the 4 smaller engines. Just remember the parts on the back are not canon and before you rush to get your Star Wars encyclopedia to check it out this SD is a free hand version and no particular one.

IMG_2717.jpgIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2719.jpgIMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Just remember the parts on the back are not canon and before you rush to get your Star Wars encyclopedia to check it out this SD is a free hand version and no particular one.

I see you speak "rpf"...lol

All jokes aside, this build continues to impress and inspire man! Keep up the great work!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It has worked, I have made the dome out of 0.75mm styrene sheet. it looks to have the finish I have been looking for with w finer attachment to the bottom of the SD.
Now it is glue it on time then greeblie time.

this is the thicker one.
IMG_3106.jpg

This is the thinner one.

IMG_3107.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 140

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back