RIP Harlan Ellison

Just saw this. Damn. I remember meeting him when I was in high school. A teacher was good friends with him. Boy did he give us education! :lol

Damn, another of my old greats gone. I'll say this for Harlan, I read alot of his work in my teenage years and some of it would stick with me for days it had such an impact. Dark matter (s) indeed but it didn't half make you think. "A Boy and his Dog" absolutely haunted me. Anybody gets a chance to read his two "Dangerous Visons" anthology collections please do so they contained some of the best sci fi I ever read of its day, but be warned, its not happy stuff. I'm going to have to dig them out of the boxes in the attic again.

RIP Harlan ,The Harlequin will shed a tear for the Ticktock man .

One of the great short story writers. Loved many of his books over the years, especially ​Alone Against Tomorrow.

But if you wanted to wipe the smile off a publisher's face, just ask them what it was like to work with this guy!

Great stuff, Harlan. Rest easy, man.

I have two of his "Dangerous Visions" anthologies, been a fan since I was a kid.
Did you know he hated Star Wars? Absolutely HATED it.
I can't hold that against him, though - he wrote my favorite Star Trek episode, "City On The Edge Of Forever".
Very cool cat. They don't make 'em like him anymore.
RIP, Mr. Ellison. Thanks for warping my young brain.

Wow. I guess not a huge surprise but still sucks. One of my absolutes faves, read everything I could ever get my hands on.

I have no mouth and I must scream

I got a call about this earlier, I've known Harlan for many, many years, but as others have said, at his age it's not surprising that he finally passed. He had the same kind of personality as Christopher Hitchens in a lot of ways, another person who left us too early and that the world desperately needs. He'll be missed.

Well of course that goes with out saying, never the less he did hate Roddenberry and Trek as well.

One of the things he loved to give me chit about was my love for it

He hated what Roddenberry did to his script.

Last edited:
Well of course that goes with out saying, never the less he did hate Roddenberry and Trek as well.

One of the things he loved to give me chit about was my love for it

I'm just saying that hatred didn't come out of the blue, he had a reason.

He had many reasons for many things and one was hating Trek and Roddenberry with a passion.

I used to hear about it all the time

A few years back he dragged the “Mount” and CBS again through the legal system.

He was always a fighter

He tried to school me on a lot of things when I was young and was fond of pointing out those reasons

He had a HUGE influence on me in my younger years

I'm just saying that hatred didn't come out of the blue, he had a reason.

I didn't know much about him, but I read that he was involved in the story of Babylon 5. The best sci-fi/space opera series on TV ever.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back