Cosplayers, how do you get to comic-con?

Something I’ve always wondered, and I imagine a lot of members would be able to share their own experiences on:

To all you cosplayers, how do you get to events/comic-con with your costumes? Do you wear them on the journey or change when you get to the con?

If you go as Iron Man, how do you transport the armour? If you go as Spider-Man, what do you do with your civilian clothes after you change?

What about public transport? I bet you would attract a few funny stares climbing onto the bus in a Spider-Man costume or a full suit of Iron Man armour! :D

P.S. Another thing I always wondered about Spider-Man cosplay/spandex costumes in general: how do you keep warm? I imagine even in the summer, walking around wearing nothing but a layer of thin, skin-tight material must leave you pretty exposed to the elements. And I’m guessing it’s difficult to wear any extra layers underneath as they’d show up through the costume and ruin the effect.

I look forward to hearing all your stories and experiences on this!
Most of my costumes are basically just really fancy clothes.

Star-Lord - Pretty much just a shirt, pants, boots, jacket. I only need to transport a helmet, blaster, and fancy knapsack.

Jawa - Robes. I only need to transport a mask and accessories.
(Often with a Star Wars group that has a changing room so everything can go in a tote, change at the con)

Marty McFly BTTF2 - More clothes. I only need to worry about the hoverboard.

Mostly I can just dress up at home and drive to a local con. Out of town cons same thing, but from a hotel.

Most people with armor kits tend to dress up in their cars, etc. Unless they have access to a changing room and tote storage.

Spider-Man costumers can put a light amount of clothes in a DIY web-backpack. Shirt, shorts, flip flops.
If you are into ultra-light performance style clothes, you can get a shirt, pants, jacket in there.

If you are worried about people staring at you on a bus, cosplay may not be for you.
People at conventions will be taking pictures of you and posting it on the internet for the whole world to see.

Despite what some people have said, synthetics do NOT keep you any warmer unless they are a solid sheet like plastic bags. Garment for garment, cotton is warmer because it is thicker. You could try to wear an athletic base-layer under a Spider-Man, but I imagine pretty much anything would show. It is a skin-tight outfit.

Honestly, just going about in a costume and getting a few stares would even be fun enough for me. I have considerd just walking around in my costume publicly, just for the lols.

I cosplay Peggy Carter... so no issues, except people notice my vintage look. When I'm a Jedi, no issues, as I just look like I'm doing a hobo thing until I put on the belt and saber. When I do Hogwarts student, again, no issues, except the black robe does get a few looks.

What unnerves people is when I do Bucky Barnes ala Winter Soldier because I'm in black, I have gothy eye makeup and a mask and I'm armed to the teeth (with completely fake guns) but in this day an age, I notice I frighten people and attract police attention, so when I do him, I park as CLOSE to the venue and suit up in the garage so I can make a quick walk to the con. My teen is with me always, so that takes some of the edge off some folks.

kcail1

When I cosplay captain america, I dress everything except helmet and shield. My doughter cosplays winter soldier too. We usually park the car as near as possible to the theater. She loves when we arrive, she says it´s like a walk on the red carpet. :)
I prefer at lunch time, when we go to the market aside, and older women shoping, look at us like if we were absolutly crazy. :lol:lol:lol

Most of the time I try to take public transportation and go in full costume - that way, you can tell how close you're getting to the con by how many people on the train with you are dressed up.

When I went as the Winter Soldier I drove, and the arm inhibited my driving. When I parked, I finished off my costume with the arm, jacket, mask, and wig.

I usually bring my Spidey suits in a backpack, change at the con, and keep my street clothes in the backpack. Spidey carries a bag in the comics and in movies sometimes, so it's just part of my cosplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm out of town, I go to NYC where I stay at an airbnb of some kind, then dress up there and take either a taxi or public transport to NYCC. Neither are quite ideal since it's usually hard to sit with armor, but I make do and literally nobody on the subway cares lol. It's New York!

For my local cons I wear what I can comfortably and safely drive in. After parked I put on the rest and walk in. Now I'm going to Vegas comic-con at the end of June as Mando from Amarillo. I will probably wear everything I can in the Uber and have my family hold the rest until we park.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back